ND filters

Reaction score
do they take off the misty look from videos when flying in bright clear skys ?

They are used to prevent too much light from hitting the camera sensor.

That washed out look can be prevented with training manual shooting and post production. Mostly with pp.
got ant tips for manual shooting ?

Sorry in advance for this question:

Are there any cheap brands/alternatives to the ND filters from DJI? For a P3P. Something around $15-$20?

Sorry in advance for this question:

Are there any cheap brands/alternatives to the ND filters from DJI? For a P3P. Something around $15-$20?
Did you check Phantomhelp.com?

Did you check Phantomhelp.com?

Thats been my "Go to" site for deciding on accessories :)

However they all seem to be in the $35-$40 range each. Given I probably need three, (UV, ND2, ND6 or something similar), thats too much at the moment.

I might just sell my Spectrum DX7s to get some filters. Thanks

However they all seem to be in the $35-$40 range each. Given I probably need three, (UV, ND2, ND6 or something similar), thats too much at the moment.

The one mounted on your P3 is already a UV filter, the one by DJI is only as spare, don't make the same mistake as me to buy one (DJI kindly warned me after I placed the order). You will need typically ND4, ND8, ND16 and ND32. ND64 if you leave in a country with high sun.
I personally use the one from TACO, 22-25$.

Reactions: PilotHarry
Thanks! My worry with these is getting fingerprints all over since you have to switch the several filters to one housing. I think ill go with the $55 for three Taco-RC filters
Better to have full filter with thread as you will have to switch of filter often to adapt to the ambient light you get.

Reactions: PilotHarry
Purchased a set of 3, comprising a Polar Pro Polariser (PL1) and 2 x ND filters (ND4 & ND8) for my P3P. All are threaded and have provided me with great shooting results. I just remind myself to clear the lens of fingerprints each time I attach one of them. Just be careful to not cross thread the filters.
Purchased them on ebay through hobbymounts of cornwall in the uk @ $120 Australian.
Good product.

Last edited:

Good filters cost $$. The Phantom already comes with a UV filter.

First, ask yourself do you really need them? What are you going to use them for? There seems to be a filter obsession going on without everyone knowing why they should have them. Are you interested in getting that "cinematic" blur effect from shooting at a slower shutter speed (2xfps)? If that is not of paramount importance to you then making exposure adjustments and watching your angles and using careful editing will give you stunning results.

I see far too many dark videos because a high number ND filter was used incorrectly just because someone thought they needed one.

Reactions: villep
Video shot with PhantomFilters ND16. Bright day. I would like a Polarpro kit when the bank account allows it. I haven't had any finger print issues as I just dump the filter from its provided pouch directly in to the stock Phantom UV filter housing.

What a great 'exploramentary'! Nicely composed and edited. [And for a brief second there I thought you were going to try to fly through a window.]

Good filters cost $$. The Phantom already comes with a UV filter.

First, ask yourself do you really need them? What are you going to use them for? There seems to be a filter obsession going on without everyone knowing why they should have them. Are you interested in getting that "cinematic" blur effect from shooting at a slower shutter speed (2xfps)? If that is not of paramount importance to you then making exposure adjustments and watching your angles and using careful editing will give you stunning results.

I see far too many dark videos because a high number ND filter was used incorrectly just because someone thought they needed one.

I'm sure I could have used a lower filter or none at all because the video doesn't really require any motion blur. In the end I believe most are using filters to just simply eliminate rolling(jello effect). I'm in the learning stages of shooting video and taking stills so I'm just trying out different settings and playing with filters. With being in the beginner stages I am open to all comments that will help me take better videos. I personally like cinematic look and I think we would all love to shoot that perfect "cinematic" video. So far this is one of the best tutorials I have found for ND filming. Please post any you may have come across.

I'm sure I could have used a lower filter or none at all because the video doesn't really require any motion blur. In the end I believe most are using filters to just simply eliminate rolling(jello effect). I'm in the learning stages of shooting video and taking stills so I'm just trying out different settings and playing with filters. With being in the beginner stages I am open to all comments that will help me take better videos. I personally like cinematic look and I think we would all love to shoot that perfect "cinematic" video. So far this is one of the best tutorials I have found for ND filming. Please post any you may have come across.

Your video has great color and saturation.

Oh I agree. You most likely never need a filter for photos as you can adjust the camera to get the correct exposure.

And yes, of course filters for that cinematic effect. Although I don't really find the absence of motion blur to be very objectionable or even that noticeable.

I have not experienced the jello effect so I can't speak to that with any authority.

A graduated ND filter could be useful more than anything in many cases, but I don't know if anyone is making those yet.

I just think there is a filter bandwagon that many are jumping on without having a good reason. Not everyone who buys a Phantom is a photographer and it would best serve those to get the basics of photography, video and composition down first before complicating things with filters.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl