ND Filters

Reaction score
I recently shot with the Phantom 2 go pro + with the Polar ND and without the filter exactly the same scene to test it.
In post i did a wipe to compare both shots. I noticed that the shot with the ND was softer compared to no nd filter with looked sharper. Of course the ND reduces the shutter speed making the image softer and reducing the jello effect. I decided not to use the ND because i was happier with the sharper image and the results were better. Yes i did see some very minor jello only on a few shots, but in most of them i did not see it any jello. I shoot raw, 2.7K, protune, low sharpness and do the post on premiere which gives you a big range in every aspect of the video to play with.
What bothers me sometimes is the propeller shadows when shooting towards sun. Has anyone or company develop a lens hood for the go pro? I do work it around not to get, but sometimes you can't tell by watching the monitor because of the interference.

Are most experts using the ND or not? Do you rather sacrifice sharpness than a bit of jello in your image? Would like to hear your opinions. I am new to this forum so if this has been discuss before i apologize.
thanks,

luis

Im no expert but my tests showed no difference in sharpness from my variable ND filter. You can knockup a stickon lens hood pretty easily to shade the lens from the props. You can also buy them but they are for the stock unfiltered lens, hence the DIY approach.

awesome thanks for the tip. you will notice the sharpness significally when you stop at a frame. ND soft no nd sharp. i know because of the shutter, but still looks better i think without the filter.

agree with you. hopefully go pro will come with a solution. manual iris and shutter

Which ND filters are you all using? I just ordered my P2 Kit and am trying to find solid/great quality filters that aren't super expensive. These filters are sold at the website I'm buying the P2 Kit from (http://www.dslrpros.com/brands/dslrpros ... er-se.html), but they are $130, whereas on sites like Amazon I've seen individual ones for as low as $20. I am just unsure about the quality. Any help would be appreciated!

Also was the gimbal (Zenmuse HD-3D) able to support the added weight? Thanks!

Hey guys. Personally I think it depends on the situation. If I'm shooting with limited natural light, lets say a wooded drive way or any object just after sun set, i will go at it without my ND filter but during sun rise or mid day i am a big fan of the ND filter. Reason being, sometimes the sun can shine on the props just right to where you notice choppy rays of light bouncing off the spinning props in the video. ND filter will block out that sun so the props aren't creating interference when filming. I also think the ND filter brings the landscape to life creating an edited effect prior to even touching the raw footage.

Mastermind said:
...Also was the gimbal (Zenmuse HD-3D) able to support the added weight? Thanks!
you will probably have to add counter weights to balance the 3D.

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

but the nd makes the video softer. might get rid of the jello, but i do not get it all the time. see it side by side, shoot the same thing with and with out the nd.

I need some help choosing filters for P3P...
I'm looking for great lens at low cost.
I will be doing some indoor and outdoor videos, I was think of ND 8 and 16 based on a few YouTube videos i've watch, are those good choices?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20