ND filters ND8&16 CP or not

Reaction score
Hello

I have P3A. I'm looking for my first filters. I think that the most usable are ND8 and ND16. What is difference if there is also CP? Like THIS.

Or maybe Graduated ND16-8?

PolarPRO 3 pack there is no ND16 and I think I need it.(6 pack is to expensive).

Another version are also TACO. What is Multi-Coating MC? Is this the same as CP?

Do I need CP are are ND filters OK?

thank you

Hello

I have P3A. I'm looking for my first filters. I think that the most usable are ND8 and ND16. What is difference if there is also CP? Like THIS.

PolarPRO 3 pack there is no ND16 and I think I need it.(6 pack is to expensive).

Another version are also TACO. What is Multi-Coating MC? Is this the same as CP?

thank you
the press on filter weight lots and I am concerned about overloading the gimbal I have and ND presson. Also, upon power up some of them will hit the ground as the diameter is large. Lastly, for press ons, those are very expensive - gearbest has em for $10 or so.. I would think you would be better off with gel filters and perhaps buying an extra UV lens phantom cover. Nil weight added and the quality is high. Guy on the form sells them, PM him. College geezer

I dont think those on gearbest are OK. TACO and Polar PRO are not overloading gimbal.

Hello

thank you
I have the pro if that makes a difference however I did the 3 pack polar pro and did ok during snow and sun but 16 would have been better for me.
I just today purchased the 6 pack Polar Pro.

Polarized filters are a bit of a wash on a drone. Typically, on a ground camera you would adjust the polarizer depending on your view and where the sun is. That's a little tough on a P3. The only use I have found is to use them over water - you get some improvement in water clarity with the CP's. The Polar Pro CPs are pretty weak compared to those found on a DLSR - that's actually what you want since you don't have any control over the orientation.

I can't ever remember using ND on my DSLR other than a waterfall, or to create a feel of motion at dusk/dark.

They never come off the drone however and I won't video without them, although seems I did try it just to test the p3p camera/lens.

I bought this set.
Using ND16 now.
Haven't tried the adjustable yet
Neewer Multi-coated 4 Pieces UV CPL ND16 ND2-ND400 Fliter Kit for Phantom 3
I bought this Neewer filter kit too. For the price, it represents great value. The variable ND filter easily and quickly let's you make adjustments on-the-fly sort of speak. I found the image quality through the variable nd fader to be soft in certain areas with a noticeable loss in detail. The ND16 filter I got in the kit had a bit of a bluish-gray colour cast. Might have been just the sample I got. Who knows. All in all, I'd recommend this kit for those starting out where you want to just get a feel for how the ND effects video.

I ended up getting the DJI ND-8 and ND-16 filters and loved the results.

Polarized filters are a bit of a wash on a drone. Typically, on a ground camera you would adjust the polarizer depending on your view and where the sun is. That's a little tough on a P3. The only use I have found is to use them over water - you get some improvement in water clarity with the CP's. The Polar Pro CPs are pretty weak compared to those found on a DLSR - that's actually what you want since you don't have any control over the orientation.

I agree. Normally I am a filter fan for a regular camera so I was excited to see that they offered filters for the phantom. I was not very impressed with the polar filters. I only used the CP. I didn't bother with the rest of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't ever remember using ND on my DSLR other than a waterfall, or to create a feel of motion at dusk/dark.

They never come off the drone however and I won't video without them, although seems I did try it just to test the p3p camera/lens.
P3 cam has fixed aperture, not like DSLR.

Hello

thank you
I use ND 16 and ND 32 frequently as get full sunlight in California.

I use ND 16 and ND 32 frequently as get full sunlight in California.
Even in SE Alaska (130 inches precip / year, 300 days / year with the UV index at '0') I need at least an ND 8 to control the shutter speed using 4K. Unfortunately, you can't control much else on the P3.

That's true we do not have aperture control so we need to depend on ND filters.

Seems funny now that when the zenmuse H3 3D came out that DJI insisted you should not use an ND filter on the camera and anyway you would not get jello on the footage! And them when the Inspire and P3 came out recommend and allowed ND filters!

Reactions: 4wd
P3 cam has fixed aperture, not like DSLR.
I know, I own and use both.
I can't imagine anyone using a drone without filters.
I can't imagine anyone using nd filters on a dslr for anything other than waterfalls and creating motion blur at dusk and dawn.

Seems funny now that when the zenmuse H3 3D came out that DJI insisted you should not use an ND filter on the camera and anyway you would not get jello on the footage! And them when the Inspire and P3 came out recommend and allowed ND filters!

It's a recent trend that everyone seems to think you have to use NDs because of the theoretical 25fps needs 1/50th shutter idea.
There are plenty of videos online more or less debunking any such rule for modern video cameras, but no one wants to hear that.

It's worse than that really as people with little photo/video knowledge are being informed they practically must add these filters - and if you don't even fully understand why, or when they aren't appropriate, the results are probably going to often be worse than without.

The Inspire comes with ND filters and that's when it started, before that not many bothered.
A modern action camera -which is what the P3 is essentially - can give pretty good results with the normal clear UV though footage might be slightly smoother if you can force the shutter to 1/50 thus creating a sort of blur.

Recording at relatively sedate P3 flying speed, a fast shutter will often be barely noticeable, it certainly doesn't equal some kind of disaster or give you unwatchable footage.

With the Vision and other earlier phantoms NDs were sometimes advised to minimise jello - you shouldn't get that on P3 unless props are out of balance.

I dont think those on gearbest are OK. TACO and Polar PRO are not overloading gimbal.
does the camera face down when off? If so, it aint balanced anymore. I guess balanced is a better term than overloaded for what I was saying. Heck, buy $150 filters, I dont care but you will not see any advantages over a good cut of ND gels.

Then your gearbest filter for 10$ is same quality as PolarPRO, TACO or SRP?
For the P3 sensor, yes - you will not notice a difference. The ND gearbest filters (I have them) are very clean press ons and do not color shift the subject. I know you likely dont believe me. I get the hobby overkill concept. Alternatively, you can look for a post for a dude named college geezer and purchase cut gels that go into the stock UV lens of the P3.

Use this as a guide.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1458694186.583759.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1