ND filter on camera

Reaction score
Did anyone notice sudden changes in exposure with the Vision camera?

I get small flashes from time to time when the light changes, I'm assuming it's the ND filter coming on or off.

Anyone else found a solution for this?

WOW, I did not realise the camera has a built in ND filter, is that correct?

I thought ND filters were optical not electronic?

Out of curiosity I did place an ND filter over the lense on a bright summer day, the colours seemed richer.

arinvideo said:
I doubt its a built in ND filter, more likely that shutter/aperture/iso is changing.

+1

Think of an ND filter as a pair of sunglasses on your eyes :)

The Vision camera doesn't have an ND filter, it uses ES (electronic shutter). And yes, placing an optical ND over it when shooting on super-bright days can help the MOS imager reproduce color & contrast more naturally. Most of the time it's not really necessary as it does a great job with exposure and latitude. You can dial down the EV setting thru the Vision App by one or two points if shooting on bright days when things begin to look washed out particularly in the highlights.

iDrone

I Got the same problem when recording video at 30fps. Just change the recording settings at 60fps 720p or 1080i/60. I think in bright days the shutter speed increases the speed to compensate the amount of light resulting in those annoying flashes. Also the jello effect is perceptible at 30fps.

I ordered the filter holder and a kit of filters (ND 3 stops, CP) to solve this

John LF said:

I get small flashes from time to time when the light changes, I'm assuming it's the ND filter coming on or off.

Unfortunately this camera has neither manual exposure, nor exposure lock - so yes, it will be automatically changing exposure all the time, as it sees fit. You can help limit this by:

1) set ISO to 100 (not AUTO)
2) set White Balance to Sunny (not AUTO)
3) set Exposure Metering to Average (empty circle icon, I believe) so it uses the entire picture to calculate exposure, not just some small, rapidly-changing point in the center.

jimre said:
John LF said:

Unfortunately this camera has neither manual exposure, nor exposure lock - so yes, it will be automatically changing exposure all the time, as it sees fit. You can help limit this by:

3) set Exposure Metering to Average (empty circle icon, I believe) so it uses the entire picture to calculate exposure, not just some small, rapidly-changing point in the center.

It has sense Jimre. When I record at 720p/60fps I get no flashes. Have you recorded at 1080p/30fps with this settings with no flashes?

ValHeliRC said:
jimre said:
John LF said:

It has sense Jimre. When I record at 720p/60fps I get no flashes. Have you recorded at 1080p/30fps with this settings with no flashes?
I haven't recorded much of anything for a long time, except static test shots. Unfortunately 6 weeks of nearly-constant rain here east of Seattle. But I don't what you mean by "flashes". Previously haven't experienced anything like that, and the videos I shot were mostly at 1080p30. Some sudden exposure changes are to be expected on any moving auto-exposure camera, though - worse if you choose spot-metering and also allow ISO to change automatically.

ValHeliRC said:
I Got the same problem when recording video at 30fps. Just change the recording settings at 60fps 720p or 1080i/60. I think in bright days the shutter speed increases the speed to compensate the amount of light resulting in those annoying flashes. Also the jello effect is perceptible at 30fps.

I ordered the filter holder and a kit of filters (ND 3 stops, CP) to solve this

+1! :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers