ND Filter causes gimbal overload?

Reaction score
Took my fourth flight today and was going to try my ND8 filter to see if I noticed a difference in the pics. When I started everything up the DJI Go App gave me a gimbal overloaded message. I didn't want to risk anything so I took it off and had 3 very successful flights with great pics. Is it safe to fly with this message and is a ND8 filter even going to make much of a difference in my pics? Thanks everyone. I've learned so much in the short time here already.

how much weight is you nd filter? Are you sure it's on right? Back when a heavy filter was used(7-9g), the p3p camera had no problem carrying it. That message you got only happened about once. Other than that, the p3p camera can carry some good amount of weight.

how much weight is you nd filter? Are you sure it's on right? Back when a heavy filter was used(7-9g), the p3p camera had no problem carrying it. That message you got only happened about once. Other than that, the p3p camera can carry some good amount of weight.
I'm really not sure how much it weighs. It was tough to get on because it was tight, but I got it on. I just didn't want to chance it once I saw that message so I figured better safe than sorry. I'll probably take some lower flights with it on and see what happens. Thanks

just noticed this was on the standard section, so I don't actually know if that'll play a difference.

Is yours the recc'd that you remove the original lens and screw on the new ?
if so then the weight change is only a gram or so ...

Nigel

The P3S uses push on filters, if the filter mount is not fully seated then , when the P3 is on a level surface when powered up the push on mount can interfere with the gimbal initialization , ie, it hits the surface when pointing straight down, hence the overload error.

Reactions: FinnBalorisReal
The P3S uses push on filters, if the filter mount is not fully seated then , when the P3 is on a level surface when powered up the push on mount can interfere with the gimbal initialization , ie, it hits the surface when pointing straight down, hence the overload error.
Mine initialized fine. It just started giving errors during flight. I figured it was the weight and the wind.

OK - I was looking at filters stated to be for P3 incl. standard that replaced the original lens. If they are push on - then I would be reluctant personally to use avoiding loading the gimbal.

Nigel

Reactions: FinnBalorisReal
OK - I was looking at filters stated to be for P3 incl. standard that replaced the original lens. If they are push on - then I would be reluctant personally to use avoiding loading the gimbal.

Nigel
If that's the case then you wouldn't use any ND filter for the Standard because the only thing the standard takes is push on, There is nothing to unscrew on the standard version.

Reactions: Philltayl
Sounds handy, but even so on the Standard you will never be able to replace the original lens as it doesn't come off.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav