ND and Polarizing Filter Installation?

Haven't tried stills yet. Filters are completely interchangeable. I've read some folks are making a film for their stock filter and bypassing having a set of filters.

I only bought the Polar Pro filters because I broke my stick UV filter.

Mark.

Hi all,

Did your Polar Pro ND Filters thread-in smoothly?
Because mine didn't...
The threading don't seem to match.

Mine threaded ok. ND4 and CP were easiest.

Mine threaded nicely.

Based on all the recos, I didn't want to apply too much pressure. Tried with non-dominant hand three finger method-no go. Tried new rubber glove with dominant hand- no go. Tried palm of hand with new rubber glove on the front of lens-bingo!

I was using a pretty good grip to try to get mine off. I even tried the rubber band and applying pressure close to the end and further back toward the seem. I was getting pretty frustrated and then read this from someone on the DJI forums:

P3PO said:
Lens cap removes easily, just don't use a death grip to try and remove it, it won't move. I just used my fingertips on the outside edges and gently applied a twisting pressure and it came loose.

Did that and it came off super smoothly.

I use my non dominant hand and a rubber band with light pressure and it came off like a champ. I giggled a little when it came loose, since it actually worked.

I used a rubber jar opener. Works great. It is a thin piece of rubber, and can be purchased anywhere that sells kitchen related items.
Do NOT apply too much pressure. The threads are fine, and aluminium. Watch out for cross-threading.
This was a great method. I had one in my pantry. It allows for light pressure around the front edge without squeezing the "barrel."

I just ordered the Polar Pro 3-pack of ND and polarizing filters for my P3-Pro. Does anyone have any idea how these might be installed on my P3P?
Polar Pro doesn't actually have the "Install" instructions up yet.
It looks as if the lens cover on the P3P screws off, but I'm really afraid to put any pressure on any part without knowing what I'm getting into.
====================
The glass cover on the P3A does unscrew. I put some effort into it (cautious, like you are) but it unscrewed with little problem. I screwed on my lens filter and it works fine.
One thing to look out for--if the lens filter is heavier than the stock piece, it may put undue strain on the gimbal. I found that my gimbal motors got very hot the first time I put a heavy polarizing filter on the camera. To offset this, I velcro'ed a nickel to the back of the camera. I'm not saying I've solved or prevented a problem, (or that I will avoid burning up my gimbal motor) but what I am saying is that the extra *offset* weight of filters needs to be considered.

Here's what I did. With the aircraft shut off, I installed the filter and let the camera find its natural (limp) position. In my case, it was lens down. Once I velcro'ed the nickel to the back, it was more neutrally balanced (pitch-wise), but had a slight tendency to cant to one side. This was minimal, so I considered it negligible.

The goal is to balance out any additional eccentric mass you add to the gimbal with an offsetting counterweight, so that the gimbal motors don't work too hard to offset the off-centered additional weight. Recognize, also, that a very heavy, perfectly balanced gimbal is no good either. Extra weight will degrade flying time and will probably overwork the gimbal motors since it is trying to keep more mass leveled. Just like any aircraft, there are tradeoffs in mass and performance.

I'd be interested to hear about what you learned with your lens filters.
--hblink93

Wow, mine came right off

Mine came right off my P3A. But I am still trying to get the darn thing off my P3P. At this point a large crescent wrench and pipe wrench combo are looking more and more like viable alternatives.

I have tried all the tricks I can come up with from rubber bands, kitchen lid grips, setting the bird outside (<30F) and warming the filter with a heating pad. Light force. Heavy force. Gripping it like an orangutan swinging from the trees to staring at it intently for hours on end. Nothing seems to have worked and I am running out of ideas short of brute force and power tools.

ND filter users....Once the ND is installed on the bird, do you leave it on forever, or have to remove it when the weather is not bright and sunny ?? How does it affect still images ?
I switch out my filters depending on conditions. But I always use some type of filter, if just shooting photos I will use a polarizer. The only time I would use the stock lens is for night photography doing long exposures. But I switch my different filters out quite a bit.

I'm not trying to hijack a thread but I thought I would mention another option.

I offer ND filter kits that press on so you don't have to remove or exchange the stock UV lens. With my design you get multiple densities of filters so you can mix and match to get the proper exposure. Mine have the advantage of being very light weight and lower cost but the PolarPro filters are glass and add extra weight to the perfectly balanced gimbal.

image.jpg

I have a video online that explains how to use the app to figure out what density of filter you need to use for best results.

And just this week I now offer a polarized filter as well.
image.png

Any PhantomPilots member can use code Friends10 for a 10% discount on my site.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31