NAZA vs Vision in GPS Mode

Reaction score
Is there any different in flight characteristics with NAZA enabled and both S1 and S2 switches kept in the up position (GPS mode) when compared to original Vision software?

I understand that NAZA would have different led signals and it would enable use of IOC and other modes but with the warnings it gives about not enabling NAZA unless you are an experienced pilot I am hesitating about enabling it until I am sure it will not make it any harder to fly when in GPS mode.

I am guessing there would be no difference but I though I would check with more experienced flyers to be sure in case some of the default gains, etc. might be different.

As far as I am aware, with both switches in the uppermost position there shouldn't be any flight differences between Vision and NAZA modes. The Vision's default mode is equivalent to the Naza GPS ATTI mode. As you say, only difference should be the different LED combinations.

This hasn't come from flight testing my Vision but from reading the DJI wiki on how the NAZA v2 functions.

Thanks pullup.

I came to the same conclusion reading the available info but I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything after seeing all the warnings when I went to switch over. Changed it today, tried functions on the bench but it's too windy (for me) to fly today. I put failsafe on s1 bottom position because I know I'm not ready for full manual mode yet.

AHill said:
I put failsafe on s1 bottom position because I know I'm not ready for full manual mode yet.

Just a heads-up.

Be aware that in the very unlikely event that you have a naza gps problem, Manual mode is the only way to stop the ship from heading off into the wild blue yonder. On the Phantom 1, turning off the tx activates Failsafe (RTH). Not sure if the Vision is the same. You can have that manual mode available for that unlikely flyaway, and still have RTH available.

A crash on manual is probably a better outcome than hoping the phone will ring in the case of a fly away.

Dave Pitman said:
AHill said:
I put failsafe on s1 bottom position because I know I'm not ready for full manual mode yet.

Just a heads-up.

Be aware that in the very unlikely event that you have a naza gps problem, Manual mode is the only way to stop the ship from heading off into the wild blue yonder. On the Phantom 1, turning off the tx activates Failsafe (RTH). Not sure if the Vision is the same. You can have that manual mode available for that unlikely flyaway, and still have RTH available.

A crash on manual is probably a better outcome than hoping the phone will ring in the case of a fly away.

Thanks for the heads up. The Vision does go into RTH when shut off but I was under the impression it lost the Wi-Fi connection when it was shut off, I just tried it and I was wrong, it keeps the Wi-Fi connection when the transmitter is shut off because the Wi-Fi extender does not shut off with the transmitter. I am changing s1 bottom position to manual. Thanks again.

I was under the impression the going into ATTI mode would not use the GPS and would give you back control because it wouldn't be trying to fly to some unknown location guided by the GPS and confused compass. It would seem that if it only has compass input in ATTI mode you could override an incorrect compass signal by using the controls to fly in a different direction or land straight down, but I may be wrong. Has anyone had fly-aways when in ATTI mode?

If fly-aways are caused by interference with the transmitter control signal it would seem like nothing could stop them while interference was still present because the interference would prevent the correct transmitter control signal from reaching the Phantom.

AHill said:
I was under the impression the going into ATTI mode would not use the GPS and would give you back control because it wouldn't be trying to fly to some unknown location guided by the GPS and confused compass. It would seem that if it only has compass input in ATTI mode you could override an incorrect compass signal by using the controls to fly in a different direction or land straight down, but I may be wrong. Has anyone had fly-aways when in ATTI mode?

The problem could be with the compass or the gps, or the way the algorithm interprets them. Going Manual basically turns the Naza computer off. You are left with a gyro and accelerometer which generally do not think for themselves. ATT mode is still using the Naza computer, and the compass.

AHill said:
If fly-aways are caused by interference with the transmitter control signal it would seem like nothing could stop them while interference was still present because the interference would prevent the correct transmitter control signal from reaching the Phantom.

This is unlikely. If interference is involved in a flyaway, it is most likely interference from another source, not the TX.

"This is unlikely. If interference is involved in a flyaway, it is most likely interference from another source, not the TX."

I did mean interference from another source that was overriding the transmitter signal causing it to not reach the Phantom correctly. Years ago this often happened with RC models but with more sophisticated systems today this happens much less often today but is still a possibility.

AHill said:
"This is unlikely. If interference is involved in a flyaway, it is most likely interference from another source, not the TX."

I did mean interference from another source that was overriding the transmitter signal causing it to not reach the Phantom correctly. Years ago this often happened with RC models but with more sophisticated systems today this happens much less often today but is still a possibility.

Got it. Still, If she was headed out on her own, I would try manual before turning the tx off simply because going the other order, that is trying failsafe and if that has no effect then going manual might likely put the model a long ways away. Note that if going manual has an effect on model, you could then switch back to ATT or GPS to try and bring the FC back on line.

You just have to come up with your own plan and be ready to implement it. But hopefully will never have to!

Dave Pitman said:
Still, If she was headed out on her own, I would try manual before turning the tx off simply because going the other order, that is trying failsafe and if that has no effect then going manual might likely put the model a long ways away. Note that if going manual has an effect on model, you could then switch back to ATT or GPS to try and bring the FC back on line.

You just have to come up with your own plan and be ready to implement it. But hopefully will never have to!

I agree, failsafe is using the same thing that is causing it to fly away. I think I would start with ATTI mode which I could determine quickly if that was working. If it didn't work I would go immediately to Manual mode.

AHill said:
Dave Pitman said:
AHill said:

Just a heads-up.

Thanks for the heads up. The Vision does go into RTH when shut off but I was under the impression it lost the Wi-Fi connection when it was shut off, I just tried it and I was wrong, it keeps the Wi-Fi connection when the transmitter is shut off because the Wi-Fi extender does not shut off with the transmitter. I am changing s1 bottom position to manual. Thanks again.

I agree with your last statement. If a foreign signal interferes with the TX, then switching to manual or failsafe would not work... The control signal from TX to RX never makes it since the foreign signal has taken over. Manual mode does have a slightly better chance of stopping a flyaway since the foreign signal may be intermittent and the TX signal might be lucky enough to send the P2V into manual mode.

The fail safe mode also detects if it's receiving a constant repeated signal for more than a certain amount of time (i.e. Interference) and triggers return to home. At least so I have heard. Have not had interference cause a fly away with mine

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl