Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Naza vs Phantom mode?

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision + Discussion' started by Onezerosix141, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Onezerosix141

Naza vs Phantom mode?
    can someone explain to me the pros & cons of both? I thought i understood the difference but it seems i'm just confused!

2. CocoPops

I wanna know this too.

Mine is due to arrive in next couple if days and I wanna be prepared.

3. Michigan_PI

Added functionality to both switches
    As long as both switches are in position 1 (up), there is no difference.
    Ability to initiate RTH without turning off the Tx
    IOC modes on S2

I highly recommend switching to NAZA
    MAKE SURE you set S1 position 3 to FS and NOT to MANUAL

4. Dirty Bird

5. Michigan_PI

Thanks DB, I meant to bookmark that reference and was having a hard time finding it. You Da Man!!

6. Onezerosix141

7. Cocoa Beach Kiter

It is important to note, if you switch to NAZA, here is a different light pattern used for the LED's... Be sure to look at the different indications.

I do think it is smart to fly in Phantom mode for a while at first to really get to know your controls keeping it in close.

When your ready, making the switch will be the best decision you can make as it offers so much more control options.

8. Onezerosix141

So, RTH/Fail Safe mode doesn't automatically kick in Naza mode?

Did I misread the post?

9. Dirty Bird

Failsafe still works automatically like before.

10. Onezerosix141

It's so confusing why DJI decided to have two modes

11. Cocoa Beach Kiter

It's really not that confusing and it is a good idea to have the two modes.

Think of it this way, the Phantom mode is like a bicycle with training wheels. It gives you a chance to get the know the Phantom and it's flying characteristics without the concern for switch positions and the added complexity of the IOC modes. Once you have a chance to get comfortable with flying and basic maneuvers, changing to NAZA allows much more control options and if you want flying in ATTI will increase performance. It will go significantly faster. Like taking off the training wheels....

Just spend a good deal of time in the Phantom mode getting to know the flight characteristics. When you're ready and do you want the advanced functionality, then switch to NAZA. Or if you're happy in Phantom mode, then by all means stay there and enjoy!

12. Werz

I have a question from the opposite perspective. I have never used Phantom mode. I researched NAZA mode before I bought my Phantom because those "in the know" said that was the way to fly, and my initial setup was in NAZA mode. Therefore, I really don't know what happens when things go wrong in Phantom mode.

In NAZA mode, if my satellites drop to 5 or less, I have the option to switch to ATTI mode; it's not as stable as GPS mode, but it's definitely more stable than maneuvering my little Hubsan X4. What happens if you lose adequate satellite contact in Phantom mode? It seems to me that not only do you lose GPS stabilization, but you also lose RTH capacity. Does it revert to pure Manual mode?

13. BlackTracer

In Phantom mode there are two flight modes: Ready-To-Fly GPS and Ready-To-Fly non-GPS. You can't manually swap between the two. The phantom is in RTF GPS if you have >= 6 sats. It switches to RTF non-GPS if sats are below 6. Obviously, the phantom cannot RTH if sats are below 6 in NAZA or Phantom mode. So to answer your question, in Phantom mode if sats drop below 6 you lose GPS stab and RTH capacity. It does not revert to manual mode. Same goes for NAZA mode. The difference is in NAZA you can select RTF non-GPS (also known as ATTI) with middle S1 when you have 6 or more sats. It will RTH in this case if it goes out of controller range. Hope this helps.

14. Onezerosix141

Home lock GPS based?

15. JWarren

I had been putting off switching to NAZA, thinking "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and didn't want to chance screwing up my aircraft, especially after reading what happened to Sasquatch. But today I switched both of my aircraft, both PV2+s, over to NAZA and just finished the last test flight. Both went without incident and the IOC Home Lock is a great feature to have that I did test out.

16. MiDri

You can set an in-flight home and circle around it using home lock, which means it has to be gps based.

17. Onezerosix141

So, I ordered those stickers that's mentioned on that site that DB mentioned. (That site explained everything I wanted to know ^_^)

When the sticker gets here, I think I'm going to switch to Naza mode!

18. rgsinsc

I would agree that NAZA mode is an enhancement with several purposes but be aware that ALL the light patterns change whether you are in Phantom/Vision or NAZA mode.....

Below is a comparison of both.......

Attached Files:

19. Onezerosix141

Yeah, that's why I thought it'll be better to wait for the LED code sticker to get here. I wanted to print it out but I thought I'll support small business and buy the stickers lol

20. slothead

What does NAZA stand for anyway? Or does it stand for anything?