Naza v2 or Lite dilemma.

Reaction score
Migrating from the original Phantom 1 to F450/F550 I'm stuck with this question.

Given that I will not be fitting FPV, what are the considerations I should take into account in choosing between Naza v2 & Naza Lite?

I suspect I would forfeit the geo fence, motor test etc. Your thoughts on this please.

Get a V2. The Lite doesn't support any of the modules such as iOSD, Zenmuse, BTU etc. Also, the Lite just doesn't seem to flya s well as the V2.
I had a Lite on my F550 for a while and it would always drift in GPS mode. When I put the V2 on it, all the drifting was gone and it was much more stable too.

Rilot to my aid- yet again. Thanks.

Being an old geezer on a limited budget, I have to choose between the F550 w/ Lite or F450 x/v2.

Taking your advice it will be the 450/v2. Mind you the bundle is not available anywhere in UK at this time.

It depends on what you want to do with your craft. I like the F550 because it's ultra-stable in hover and there's more space on-board to add stuff.

However, if I was just looking for a craft to fly and have fun with then a 450 on 4S with 9x5 Graupners and a V2 would be my choice.

Another + for V2 (& Rilot) V2 warms up quick, locks on quick and is super stable - no issues here w/my V2

I understand limited funds but I would wait then so you can make one purchase instead of two. Trust me, no sooner will you have your bird in the air that you will want to upgrade to the NAZA v2. Just my .02. Good Luck!

discv said:
Migrating from the original Phantom 1 to F450/F550 I'm stuck with this question.

Given that I will not be fitting FPV, what are the considerations I should take into account in choosing between Naza v2 & Naza Lite?

I suspect I would forfeit the geo fence, motor test etc. Your thoughts on this please.

Everyone has piped in so I'll pile on top. Yep - V2 all the way. The lite is a PITA. No connectivity for a start. You will want all the goodies that only V2 supports - if not now, then soon.

Now... the difference between a 450 and 550 is not as drastic. If you can't wait a while to collect funds, the 450 would be fine, too. You will get much longer fly times - but less weight hauling ability. If you want a complete change in platform from the Phantom, then waiting and getting the 550 would work. Again, not as drastic a difference between 450/550 as there is between NAZA Lite and NAZA V2.

ladykate said:
Now... the difference between a 450 and 550 is not as drastic. If you can't wait a while to collect funds, the 450 would be fine, too. You will get much longer fly times - but less weight hauling ability. If you want a complete change in platform from the Phantom, then waiting and getting the 550 would work. Again, not as drastic a difference between 450/550 as there is between NAZA Lite and NAZA V2.

+1

And if you start with a 450 now, you can "upgrade" to a 550 frame by just buying 2 more arms and the top/bottom frame plates. Add a pair of motors and ESC's on those, and you have a new bird.

Many thanks for all the input. This sub section is like the phantom pilots forum used to be at first- sort of cuddly :D

I've ordered the F450/Naza v2/GPS bundle from Quadcopters UK. It's back order- so just got to wait.

This will be my first RC build. And I've got a lot to learn.

2 questions to kick start me:
1/ Anyone got a link to a recommended build video. The conflicting information on component placement has me puzzled.

2/ To save my limited funds, I intend to start off using my Spektrum DX6i. It occurs to me that the Spectrum RX [with failsafe or some such thing] would conflict with the Naza fail safe. My thinking here is that the Naza failsafe is triggered by a lack of signal.
But the lack of TX signal would surely cause the RX to "force feed" a command to the Naza.

discv said:
2/ To save my limited funds, I intend to start off using my Spektrum DX6i. It occurs to me that the Spectrum RX [with failsafe or some such thing] would conflict with the Naza fail safe. My thinking here is that the Naza failsafe is triggered by a lack of signal.
But the lack of TX signal would surely cause the RX to "force feed" a command to the Naza.

Good thinking :) Yes, with some models of aftermarket receivers (I don't know if this is the case with Spektrum or not), the receiver won't necessarily tell the NAZA by default that signal is lost...they may just continue to report the last command input received, unless you manually set them differently. On my FrSky receiver it's just a matter of instructing the Rx to remember a specific input state (i.e. "sticks centered, flight mode switch in failsafe position") to report to the NAZA if signal is ever lost. The NAZA still won't know signal is lost, but it will be told to go in to failsafe mode anyway.

You'll need to check Spektrum's documentation to see what their protocols are for that.

The last time I played with my spektrum receiver,I seem to recall that it stored the throttle position when binding. It then signals that to the FC in the event of transmission loss. This I know because I had accidentally left it on full throttle when binding, and when I turned the TX off my Blade heli hit my workshop ceiling :oops:

To go a stage further- I believe that the Naza, in the event of not getting an input for [I think] 10 secs will revert to fail save mode.

So maybe there would not be a conflict- just a 10 sec delay in RTH kicking in.

Lite is way too limited, and a step back from the phantom. You're moving to a more robust platform anyways, you won't regret spending the extra for the v2 up front.

discv said:
It occurs to me that the Spectrum RX [with failsafe or some such thing] would conflict with the Naza fail safe. My thinking here is that the Naza failsafe is triggered by a lack of signal.

As Ol Photography said, good thinking. I didn't think about that until I had mine flying and realized there was no failsafe. ;-} Luckily, I was hovering when I decided to test it. I'm using Futaba and it has to be reprogrammed. Usually, that just means setting the GPS/ATTI/Failsafe switch that you have programmed to about 43% at Failsafe (loss of signal) - you can test it easily if 43% isn't right on your machine (but it probably will be). On the Futaba, it was a PITA but doable. Ianwood has since programmed this into his Futaba profiles for 14sg and 8fg.

Oh... and on the Phantom, this doesn't seem to be a problem. The Phantom NAZA seems to know when signal is lost even if the rx is force feeding it. Not so on the non-Phantom NAZAs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers