Naza mode

Sledge said:
Mossie said:
Do you think we will at some time in the future with a firmware update, be able to use the S1 and S2 switches for ATT, failsafe, IOC etc without having to switch to NAZA mode. I find the Vision LEDs quite easy and logical, but the NAZA LEDs quite confusing.

+1 on the naza LEDs being confusing....I'd like to see an overview video of these in NAZA mode...for some reason the charts with the colored dots don't do it for me...at all.

Having found the NAZA LEDs confusing at first, I've only just realised what they were indicating and now I find them quite logical.
In Vision mode there was only one set of lights. In NAZA I've only just realised that you have a double sequence. The first flash being related to the control switch position: 1 green=GPS mode, 1Amber=Att mode, green and amber if you're in IOC. The second sequence being related to the amount of satellites received, eg if your in Att with 6 sats you get amber + 1 red. Eg if you're in GPS mode with greater than 6 Sats you would get green + none.

I think DJI could explain it a bit better in their manual, especially for thick people like me :D

As a newbie with no previous experience and only 3 flights under my belt, I was a bit wary about moving out of Vision mode. I tried it today in NAZA and with the S switches up it's no different to being in Vision. But you've got the option of home lock which I tried today and it works a treat. Also it's interesting to experiment with Att and GPS and watch the drift downwind stop when you put the switch back to GPS..

smatty2023 said:
Guys thanks again for all your helpful hints and tips I have only been flying do far on my playing fields but stupidly too close to the edge of the fields. Yes absolutely I think ad soon as the gimbal arrives I will take it out of naza-m mode. Just a real shame in factory stock mode you can't activate the return to home feature without turning the controller off.
Thanks again for all your suggestions really appreciated.
nono the return to home works perfect in Vision mode. if it gets out of range or a lost signal she will come back provided you let it record its home point.

Works perfect. I tried both ways with turning off the receiver and taking it out of range. Landing is a little bouncy and scared me but worked great.
If initiated again I will attempt to regain control once in range for a smoother landing but regardless nothing was damaged!

I hope that some future update will allow us to set the altitude for RTH. 60 feet is way too low for where I live. Guaranteed to have a close encounter with a tree.

The 60' RTH altitude is only if the Phantom is under 60' when RTH is initiated. If it is at an altitude above 60' it will return at its current altitude. Once it reaches the home location it will decend to 60' then hover for about 15 seconds then descend to the ground.

spanktimonious said:
spanktimonious said:
...and if the RTH point was not set at ground level the motors will cut off and the Phantom will eventually plummet. Lesson learned: make sure you lock in your Home Point before taking off. If you can't, don't initiate RTH.

Example:

https://vimeo.com/87243843
wow perfect eXample thanks

Mossie said:
Having found the NAZA LEDs confusing at first, I've only just realised what they were indicating and now I find them quite logical.
In Vision mode there was only one set of lights. In NAZA I've only just realised that you have a double sequence. The first flash being related to the control switch position: 1 green=GPS mode, 1Amber=Att mode, green and amber if you're in IOC. The second sequence being related to the amount of satellites received, eg if your in Att with 6 sats you get amber + 1 red. Eg if you're in GPS mode with greater than 6 Sats you would get green + none.

I think DJI could explain it a bit better in their manual, especially for thick people like me :D

I posted a similar query here, I think the manual fails too, but your explanation is spot on, thank you Sir.

Seahorse said:
Mossie said:

I posted a similar query here, I think the manual fails too, but your explanation is spot on, thank you Sir.

There's been a bit of a discussion lately about whether rookies like me should be in NAZA mode. I'm only on my 3rd flight but I'm going to continue in NAZA (now I understand the LEDs !) because you get the safety of GPS mode plus other safety features like home lock. Yesterday I lost sight of the P2V. I should have used the radar to see which way she was pointing but I panicked because it was quite near some houses, so I flicked S2 to Home lock, full back on the stick and it came shooting back to me like a dog with a ball.

That's true. But don't get used to that as the only way to recover - that's my main point of discouraging people to jump in in the early days: Home Lock will only work if you have both a good satellite lock and have set your home point before take-off, or re-set it in flight. Use the radar as an aid (but that's telemetry signal dependent and also satellite lock dependent) but mainly the good old mark 1 eyeball so you've always got a sense of where your aircraft is and what direction its pointed in.

NAZA mode isn't intrinsically dangerous or difficult, it's just that I don't want people getting a false sense of security from the IOC and a lack of piloting (as opposed to flying) skills especially at the edge of visual range - or beyond.

I still think you should stick to GPS until comfortable with flying, and able to cope with reversed sticks when moving towards yourself before making it more complex. There's a steep learning curve, so why make it both harder and increase the risk to your very expensive Phantom?

I am a fan of crawl, walk then run and people seem keen on skipping the first 2 with the inevitable consequences...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Pull_Up said:
There aren't many reasons to keep S1 anything other than fully up in GPS if you are filming with a gimbal.
I always use ATTI briefly if I have any high altitude (say over 100') so I can get a feel for the strength of the wind and direction. It can be considerable stronger at altitude and if the P2V shows that it is very strong then I am wary of going too far downwind in case it is a struggle getting back. As recently discussed, it is also useful to briefly flick into ATTI before the descent so you can make sure you do not descend with the wind and into your propwash.

Regarding home lock. I notice that if you power up the phantom indoors (rotors stationary ) where's there's no hope of getting any satellites , you get a rapid flash of green only very briefly which you could easily miss if you weren't watching. I thought rapid greens meant home lock achieved, but how could that be with no satellites ?

Edit. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I've just checked the manual again and those rapid greens are the last part of the self check.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie