NAZA mode

Reaction score
Please excuse a dumb question from a noobie - but what exactly is NAZA and what does that mode do?

See here first of all: http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4728

In a nutshell it releases a few more features of the aircraft's control system (the NAZA controller). It will change the LED status flashes to a slightly more complex set of indications for a start. It activates Intelligent Orientation Control (Home Lock and COurse Lock) on switch S2 (if you want). It enables attitude mode on S1 and either Failsafe or Manual mode on the third position on S1.

I would suggest getting comfortable flying in Vision mode first, then have a look at some of the videos on IOC on the DJI site under the original V1 Phantom section for more details. Personally I don't use the IOC features much, but I like to use attitude mode for slightly smoother tracking video - although you drift with the wind so need to plan shots a bit more carefully.

It's not inherently a good or bad thing to change over, it's just adding a layer of complexity which if you are new to RC or quads might give you too much to think about at first - just get used to how to control the aircraft and the app for a while then have a look at what NAZA mode gives you and decide if you want to try. You can always switch it back to Vision mode with a mouse click, it's not a permanent thing at all.

When using vision mode (the out of the box setting), you're always using full gps assistance no matter what the S1 switch position. In VISION mode, the S1 switch allows you to choose what the phantom should do in the event of a break between transmitter and bird, thats it.

In NAZA mode, your S1 switch switches between three positions...

Up Position - full gps, essentially the same thing as being in the original VISION mode. Phantom will try to hold its position in space when you let go of the sticks. When you steer straight forward and a breeze is pushing you left, phantom will try to automatically compensate for the wind so that you don't have to with your steering.

Middle Position - "atti mode" the phantom uses gps to try and keep your elevation consistent, but allows wind and other factors blow the phantom left right forward backward. So, like in the previous example of trying to fly straight forward with a wind trying to push the phantom left, you will need to compensate for the wind yourself by leaning your phantom to the right in order to maintain your straight line forward.

Down Position - full manual mode, gps does not assist your steering or elevation at all.

I think that ATTI mode and full manual mode can be helpful because they eliminate some of the twitchy movements caused by the gps assistance. Its especially nice if you can use the wind to your advantage on a shot. If you want to drift in the direction that the wind is blowing on a shot, its sometimes easier to execute and smoother looking to switch to atti, and just let off the sticks all together rather than relying on gps and having to steer along the shot you want.

hulihee said:
When using vision mode (the out of the box setting), you're always using full gps assistance no matter what the S1 switch position. In VISION mode, the S1 switch allows you to choose what the phantom should do in the event of a break between transmitter and bird, thats it.

In NAZA mode, your S1 switch switches between three positions...

Up Position - full gps, essentially the same thing as being in the original VISION mode. Phantom will try to hold its position in space when you let go of the sticks. When you steer straight forward and a breeze is pushing you left, phantom will try to automatically compensate for the wind so that you don't have to with your steering.

Middle Position - "atti mode" the phantom uses gps to try and keep your elevation consistent, but allows wind and other factors blow the phantom left right forward backward. So, like in the previous example of trying to fly straight forward with a wind trying to push the phantom left, you will need to compensate for the wind yourself by leaning your phantom to the right in order to maintain your straight line forward.

Down Position - full manual mode, gps does not assist your steering or elevation at all.

Small correction. Attitude mode turns off GPS all together. That includes both altitude and position hold. Not just position. The only function GPS has when in attitude mode is for the Return To Home fail safe should the home position have been locked before takeoff. Wind or other factors can push you down or up in attitude mode. It's just that you don't need to have your hand on the throttle to stay up in the air as the phantom uses other technologies than GPS for that. The other technology I speak of is a biometric pressure sensor which it uses to detect changes in air pressure and thus help you maintain level flight in any condition such as indoor flying where there is no GPS signal.

And manual mode turns all of the computer assists off all together so you have to work to maintain both level flight and position all your own. The up / throttle will now be at the 50% mark in the middle position rather than a neutral hover. Most people should stay way from manual mode.

BenDronePilot said:
Small correction. Attitude mode turns off GPS all together. That includes both altitude and position hold. Not just position. The only function GPS has when in attitude mode is for the Return To Home fail safe should the home position have been locked before takeoff. Wind or other factors can push you down or up in attitude mode. It's just that you don't need to have your hand on the throttle to stay in up in the air.

And manual mode turns all of the computer assists off all together so you have to work to maintain both level flight and position all your own. Most people should stay way from manual mode.

So you're saying that Attitude mode is just manual mode + RTH capability..??

The GPS isn't the only method the Phantom uses to track/maintain altitude.

Thanks for all the info, guys! I think I will stick with Vision mode until I get more proficient. But at least I know what NAZA mode is now and will probably give it a try after a while.

OI Photography said:
BenDronePilot said:
Small correction. Attitude mode turns off GPS all together. That includes both altitude and position hold. Not just position. The only function GPS has when in attitude mode is for the Return To Home fail safe should the home position have been locked before takeoff. Wind or other factors can push you down or up in attitude mode. It's just that you don't need to have your hand on the throttle to stay in up in the air.

And manual mode turns all of the computer assists off all together so you have to work to maintain both level flight and position all your own. Most people should stay way from manual mode.

No, attitude mode basically flys the aircraft and keep it stable for you, it has nothing to do with GPS technology. Manual mode on the other hand you need to make all throttle and tilt corrections yourself to maintain stable flight. And constant throttle in varying positions to keep your altitude where you want.

BenDronePilot said:
OI Photography said:
BenDronePilot said:

No, attitude mode basically flys the aircraft and keep it stable for you, it has nothing to do with GPS technology. Manual mode on the other hand you need to make all throttle and tilt corrections yourself to maintain stable flight. And constant throttle in varying positions to keep your altitude where you want.

I got that part, but I thought Attitude mode held altitude as well (via the barometer), just not position (which is what the GPS provides).

My experience with attitude mode on the Vision is that it holds its altitude. I can flip the switch out of GPS mode and take a nice tracking shot without making any altitude corrections manually. Last flight out was in some fairly brisk gusty conditions and there was no noticeable height changes, even being blown along at the high teens mph...

Pull_Up said:
My experience with attitude mode on the Vision is that it holds its altitude. I can flip the switch out of GPS mode and take a nice tracking shot without making any altitude corrections manually. Last flight out was in some fairly brisk gusty conditions and there was no noticeable height changes, even being blown along at the high teens mph...

Yes but when you are in Atti mode it's holding it's relative height using the pressure sensor and not by GPS. That is also one reason (among others) that you will loose height but have higher top speed potential if going full speed ahead in Atti mode. GPS mode holds both your set height and altitude via its GPS positioning. Attitude mode does not use GPS for either of those functions instead the phantom relies on it's other systems. This is also why attitude mode can help in the event of certain types of fly aways where their is a mismatch or conflict between GPS and compass data.

Ah, I see. I wonder why it defaults to GPS altitude as that's always going to be less accurate than the internal barometer. I guess I assumed it always used the baro as a) it's always "on", and b) it's more accurate (DJI state the altitude hold is to within 2ft which is pretty darn accurate, hence my assumptions).

Pull_Up said:
Ah, I see. I wonder why it defaults to GPS altitude as that's always going to be less accurate than the internal barometer. I guess I assumed it always used the baro as a) it's always "on", and b) it's more accurate (DJI state the altitude hold is to within 2ft which is pretty darn accurate, hence my assumptions).

I made typo toward the end of my message which I just corrected. In case you didn't get the typeo I wrote that using GPS helps in fly away it should have read attitude mode.

When in GPS mode it's uses both the GPS compass barometer and other sensors to control level height and stability. Attitude mode just eliminates GPS from the equation. Simple as that.

Thanks for the clarification. There's a lot of good info in this thread.

So, I do agree that beginners should get comfortable flying in vision mode before using other features in NAZA mode... But, I don't see the difference between the default vision mode compared with flying in NAZA mode while keeping the S1 switch in the up position... They are essentially the same thing right?

There's a lot of WARNINGS to deter novice users from NAZA mode within the instruction manual and the assistant software... Although, while in NAZA mode there is a full GPS assisted setting that can be achieved with the S1 switch in the up position...

hulihee said:

So, I do agree that beginners should get comfortable flying in vision mode before using other features in NAZA mode... But, I don't see the difference between the default vision mode compared with flying in NAZA mode while keeping the S1 switch in the up position... They are essentially the same thing right?

There's a lot of WARNINGS to deter novice users from NAZA mode within the instruction manual and the assistant software... Although, while in NAZA mode there is a full GPS assisted setting that can be achieved with the S1 switch in the up position...

IMO, I would enable NAZA just for possible fly away assistance.

hulihee said:

You are right, even if you select NAZA mode and turn all the options on, if you have both tx switches in teh up position it will fly exactly like in standard VISION mode. The only difference you will notice is that the LED patterns on the rear arms are different and are signalling as a standard NAZA-M-V2 would.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers