NAZA mode or Phantom 2 Mode?

Reaction score
Alrighty!

I've got a few weeks of flying under my belt and I've learned how to fly this thing fairly well in Phantom mode. I haven't crashed or damaged anything in the last 20 flights or so. I would like to experiment with the NAZA mode, but I'm unclear as to the risks involved.

I know that I gain the Course Lock and the Home Lock abilities and that I can switch between GPS and ATTI mode, but I'm
not sure of what the downside is. Is it that in ATTI mode I am more prone to losing control? I'd like to try the CL and HL features, I'm just not sure what I am giving up by enabling them.

Anyone that has more experience with this, I'd like to hear from you. What do I gain by enabling the NAZA mode vs staying in the Phantom mode?

Thanks,

JIM

It looks like you've already done your homework and have read up on the subject. That is basically the most important requirement for enabling these extra flight modes. They offer a lot more possibilities and help if needed.... IF you know how to use them.

The only 'downside' is that you have to keep track of which mode you are in and adjust your behaviour accordingly. So be extra careful with these switches especially at take-off.

And every P1 pilot flies with at least Atti at their disposal, and IOC after a short use of the Assistant. It's not that big a deal and certainly not something to be afraid of. But again... as long as you read up on the different modes and understand how they work. That's the single most important thing to do.

Oh yes... and the light signals change too in NAZA mode. But you probably already knew that too.

No downside to Naza that I know of other than you need to make sure your switches are in the correct position. I switched into Naza before my 1st flight because I read about it, understood it, and am careful not to hit the switches accidentally. GPS mode will fly exactly as you have been thus far. ATTI mode will fly the same, but it will not use GPS to hold it's position. It will drift with the wind, and will not stop on a dime when you let go of the sticks, because it will drift with momentum. Atti definitely takes more concentration and some getting used to, so make sure you are in a wide open area when you try it.

I probably have over 100 flights in me with my P2 and I am sticking with Phantom mode for now.

I have yet to read anything that makes it real clear to me what Home Lock and Course Lock does. I understand ATT (vs GPS) and see that could be useful for filming by drifting with the wind). But look at something like the following link from DJI, AKA "The Company That Has No Concept of How to A Write Clear and Useful Manual":

http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Naza-M ... on_Control

And I still don't understand what CL and HL does... Seems like it will be easy to get confused while flying.

And GPS plus Failsafe is working just fine for me.

ghinson said:
I probably have over 100 flights in me with my P2 and I am sticking with Phantom mode for now.

I have yet to read anything that makes it real clear to me what Home Lock and Course Lock does. I understand ATT (vs GPS) and see that could be useful for filming by drifting with the wind). But look at something like the following link from DJI, AKA "The Company That Has No Concept of How to A Write Clear and Useful Manual":

And I still don't understand what CL and HL does... Seems like it will be easy to get confused while flying.

CL and HL are very wonderful modes to fly in!
Look around on youtube for videos that show what they are...

ghinson said:

I always chuckle when I read some of that DJI stuff. Translation can be a funny thing.
The naza manual is a little better at illustrating it than that wiki page. IOC on page 17
http://download.dji-innovations.com/dow ... .22_en.pdf

There are a lot of YouTube videos explaining IOC. For HL I think the best way to think of it is that you are at the center of a big pizza and whenever you pull back on the right stick it will come to you at the center no matter where it is on the pizza (that's how my 11yo understood it anyway :lol: ). It's a great tool if you get disoriented and want to bring it back. If you are not flying fpv, I think it's actually essential. I used it on a flight today.
CL I don't find as useful. Forward is always the way it was originally pointing. Left is always it's original left, etc. In the spring I plan to do some filming of houses and it may come in handy when I have a fixed object that I plan to fly around. We'll see.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik