Naza-M mode vs RTF

Reaction score
Can someone please explain to me what Naza-M mode is. I've google searched it, Wiki, and read about it on dji.com (and other sites) and it's just described as what I thought RTF mode was. normal flight with a failsafe to return to home point. all the manuals tell you how to turn it on but not what it does.

I'm a total noob, but after researching Naza-M mode I felt there was little downside to using it, and used it on my first flight. I believe DJI didn't activate it out of the box to keep things as simple as possible for the novice, giving them the fewest adjustments to deal with.

To sum up, in Naza and activating IOC, you are able to use the bottom position of the S1 switch as a Fail Safe setting, so you don't have to turn the power off to get to Fail Safe. Also, with the S2 switch, you can activate Course Lock and Home Lock. When the bird is far away and you lose orientation, you can put it in Home Lock and just pull back on the right stick, and it will return to you, regardless of it's present attitude. I'm quite a few flights away from using Course Lock, as I still don't completely understand how to use it.

This is a pure novice talking, so hopefully someone else can elaborate.

srandall25 said:
neoneo said:
Can someone please explain to me what Naza-M mode is. I've google searched it, Wiki, and read about it on dji.com (and other sites) and it's just described as what I thought RTF mode was. normal flight with a failsafe to return to home point. all the manuals tell you how to turn it on but not what it does.

http://www.pattayadays.com/2014/03/naza ... -2-vision/

THATS A good read and should be a sticky

Yes, great read. I tried reading this before my first flight, and it was a little confusing, but after flying and then reading the explanation, it makes complete sense.

srandall25 said:
neoneo said:

thank you very much. after reading that i want to switch to naza mode asap. can you tell me if I'm supposed to turn the bird off before unplugging from my computer or after.
and the same question for the transmitter

So just to clarify--aside from the ability to use the S1 switch to activate the FailSafe mode (rather than turning off the transmitter), and aside from the ability to use the S2 switch to go into courselock and homelock modes, there is zero difference between GPS-based flight in Naza mode and "Phantom" mode?

canadavenyc said:
So just to clarify--aside from the ability to use the S1 switch to activate the FailSafe mode (rather than turning off the transmitter), and aside from the ability to use the S2 switch to go into courselock and homelock modes, there is zero difference between GPS-based flight in Naza mode and "Phantom" mode?
Correct

One crucial difference not yet mentioned - the LED signals are different, and you will get the NAZA signals designed to give some additional information for aircraft not equipped with the and data downlinks.

Details here: http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Naza-M ... escription
Video showing them here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BeakjoJ1UA

Also remember Home Lock can only get you back safely if you have both a successfully saved home position and you have sufficient satellites for the aircraft to know where it is at the time you want to engage it.

Other than the different light signals if you have both transmitter switches fully up it will fly in exactly the way you are used to.

Pull_Up said:
One crucial difference not yet mentioned - the LED signals are different, and you will get the NAZA signals designed to give some additional information for aircraft not equipped with the and data downlinks.

Details here: http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Naza-M ... escription
Video showing them here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BeakjoJ1UA

Also remember Home Lock can only get you back safely if you have both a successfully saved home position and you have sufficient satellites for the aircraft to know where it is at the time you want to engage it.

Other than the different light signals if you have both transmitter switches fully up it will fly in exactly the way you are used to.

do you know if in Naza m mode the S2 can still be switched up and down 5 times to pick a new home point? page 26 of the manual only states that S2 will be used for IOC mode. It's lacking info just like the section before that only states that S1 will be used for Compass calibrate in Naza mode but makes no mention of attitude mode

plasmo said:
Yes, great read. I tried reading this before my first flight, and it was a little confusing, but after flying and then reading the explanation, it makes complete sense.

+1

neoneo said:
do you know if in Naza m mode the S2 can still be switched up and down 5 times to pick a new home point? page 26 of the manual only states that S2 will be used for IOC mode. It's lacking info just like the section before that only states that S1 will be used for Compass calibrate in Naza mode but makes no mention of attitude mode

Yes I did. The manual doesn't go into the Naza capabilities in any depth at all really - the DJI website wiki has a fairly comprehensive section on the Naza-M-V2 on which the P2 range controllers are based, but not all functions are available when running a P2 in Naza mode...

srandall25 said:
neoneo said:

Thank you for that great instructional manual!

Pull_Up said:
neoneo said:

Yes I did. The manual doesn't go into the Naza capabilities in any depth at all really - the DJI website wiki has a fairly comprehensive section on the Naza-M-V2 on which the P2 range controllers are based, but not all functions are available when running a P2 in Naza mode...

thanks for the info but i wasn't able to find the answer on the page. i'll just have to experiment one day

neoneo said:
Pull_Up said:
neoneo said:

thanks for the info but i wasn't able to find the answer on the page. i'll just have to experiment one day

See here: http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Naza-M ... on_Control (1.04). Note, though, that they have transposed "Automatic" and "Manual" in the table, so just switch them over for it to make sense...

Pull_Up said:
Actually you can reset home location in flight, you don't have to be on the ground...

this may seem like a silly question but, it will assume you referring to the ground right. i'd hate reset my home location while 30 feet up in the air and then later on (during failsafe mode) wonder why it's won't come down.

let me ask your opinion on this: when you hold the left stick all the way down for a few seconds it cuts the motors. will the same thing happen if you in the air descending and you hold it down all the way for a few seconds in a row?

neoneo said:
let me ask your opinion on this: when you hold the left stick all the way down for a few seconds it cuts the motors. will the same thing happen if you in the air descending and you hold it down all the way for a few seconds in a row?
I would like to know the answer to this as well!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj