NAZA-M Compass Calibration Question..

Reaction score
I've always been in NAZA-M mode and I've done it many times but never felt happy that it has completed successfully and stuck.

The first rotation always ends with a satisfactory change from yellow to green but at the end of the second rotation it always seems to flash red just a few times and then return to normal NAZA-M flashing (Sat count and GPS/ATTI mode etc)

I know in the DJI manual it says if it flashes red AND yellow at the end of the second rotation then it hasn't worked... but it is a strange feeling when you're not absolutely sure if what you've done is OK?

Yesterday I calibrated it in the middle of a football pitch in a park which I thought would be an ideal place. I think it was OK but again I got the few red flashes at the end of the second rotation and then immediately it goes to normal flashing - so confusing!

Does ANY red flashes after the second rotation (even if only a few before returning to a normal pattern) mean the compass hasn't calibrated?

I've just had a PM from an Phantom expert I emailed who told me:-

"The GPS is actually pretty sensitive to being removed from a view of the
sky, so the red flash at the end is because it's facing sideways. As soon
as you right it again it can spot the sats once more and give you the
greens. In Phantom mode, without the sat count, you wouldn't notice the red.

The error signal is more obvious yellow-red-yellow-red-yellow and you'll
know if you get one of those."

Good to know!

I agree with Fourblade. Further your can get some conformation of a good calibration from the number of satellites that are locked as shown on your app.

aartsf said:
I agree with Fourblade. Further your can get some conformation of a good calibration from the number of satellites that are locked as shown on your app.
BEEP, WRONG! ;) Compass(and its calibration) has nothing to do with GPS satellites. Two separate things. Different technology, serving different purpose.

Fourblade said:
I've always been in NAZA-M mode and I've done it many times but never felt happy that it has completed successfully and stuck.

The first rotation always ends with a satisfactory change from yellow to green but at the end of the second rotation it always seems to flash red just a few times and then return to normal NAZA-M flashing (Sat count and GPS/ATTI mode etc)

I know in the DJI manual it says if it flashes red AND yellow at the end of the second rotation then it hasn't worked... but it is a strange feeling when you're not absolutely sure if what you've done is OK?

Yesterday I calibrated it in the middle of a football pitch in a park which I thought would be an ideal place. I think it was OK but again I got the few red flashes at the end of the second rotation and then immediately it goes to normal flashing - so confusing!

Does ANY red flashes after the second rotation (even if only a few before returning to a normal pattern) mean the compass hasn't calibrated?
as long as you don't see any yellow/orange lights, you are good to go

The red light just means it lost some gps satellites and it will find them soon enough

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers