NAZA differences?

Reaction score
Please excuse my stupidity if this is a rather dumb question. I'm learning, so please be gentle.

What is the differences between the NAZA in the Phantom 1.1.1 and the Phantom 2? They look the same as far as I can tell visually, but I presume they are actually different in some way. My reason for asking,
If you were to able to switch the phantom 1.1.1 board for the Phantom 2 and somehow load the Phantom 2
Firmware into the NAZA, would you get the benefits of extended flight time from the smart battery firmware in the Phantom 2?

I'm sure I'm severely over simplifying this so maybe someone can set me straight.

Thanks in advance.

A few dedicated people are actually doing the opposite - replacing the Phantom Naza with a generic Naza-M V2 so they can run 3rd party batteries. The P2 battery can be used for any application as long as you can connect the main leads; turn it on and it discharges like a standard lipo.

To answer the question of differences, the firmware is different and the bootloader is locked, so no go on reflashing either the Naza-M or the Phantom Naza to the other. Among the differences, the Phantom Naza doesn't output LED signals through the LED port, it requires a P2 board and P2 smart battery in order to arm the motors, has additional code to communicate with the board, battery and ESCs through CanBUS, and doesn't work with the BTU.

ElGuano (and sorry to the OP if this is a bit off topic) - I'm contemplating swapping my Phantom Naza for a "real" Naza so I can run a PPM receiver (EzUHF) - it sounds like there's quite a difference from the Phantom Naza, so maybe that won't work? I can't just pull the Phantom Naza out and replace with the real thing?

SJBrit said:
ElGuano (and sorry to the OP if this is a bit off topic) - I'm contemplating swapping my Phantom Naza for a "real" Naza so I can run a PPM receiver (EzUHF) - it sounds like there's quite a difference from the Phantom Naza, so maybe that won't work? I can't just pull the Phantom Naza out and replace with the real thing?

Oh you're right, PPM support is another big one. I was focusing on things that were more hardware-related, but definitely anything available or restricted in firmware would matter as well.

As I mentioned, some people have swapped the Phantom Naza for the Naza-M V2. The Naza-M works fine with the P2 mainboard and battery, and IIRC the main difference you'll have to deal with is getting and installing an LED-V2 (or Phantom 1 LED) module since the ESC LEDs will no longer work.

ElGuano said:
SJBrit said:

Oh you're right, PPM support is another big one. I was focusing on things that were more hardware-related, but definitely anything available or restricted in firmware would matter as well.

As I mentioned, some people have swapped the Phantom Naza for the Naza-M V2. The Naza-M works fine with the P2 mainboard and battery, and IIRC the main difference you'll have to deal with is getting and installing an LED-V2 (or Phantom 1 LED) module since the ESC LEDs will no longer work.

Gotcha. I figure I'll just use the Naza LED module instead - I plan to buy the whole kit (GPS and PMU too) since I'll graft that onto my multi build when I get around to it and put the Phantom back to stock at that point.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers