National Parks?

Reaction score
Flying a drone in a national park is a no-no... right?

I was just asked to make an aerial video but the location is in a national park. I'd like to do it but I don't want my quad copter taken and I really don't want to pay a fine.

I just want to make sure before I tell her yes or no.

I haven't read any specific followups on this topic in about the last month, but indeed last time I checked the National Park Service declared that launching and landing from national parks is forbidden. There's even a video around of a park service heli chasing down a Phantom and pilot so I would advise against it.

There is a loophole if you really want to try, you can fly OVER a national park you just can't launch or land from national park land... so technically if you can find a location nearby that is NOT part of the park to launch, fly over and get your footage, and then get back to your takeoff (non park land) point to land, that should technically not be illegal.

tstowe said:

I was just asked to make an aerial video but the location is in a national park. I'd like to do it but I don't want my quad copter taken and I really don't want to pay a fine.

Contact the park, maybe you can get a waiver.

QYV said:
I haven't read any specific followups on this topic in about the last month, but indeed last time I checked the National Park Service declared that launching and landing from national parks is forbidden. There's even a video around of a park service heli chasing down a Phantom and pilot so I would advise against it.

There is a loophole if you really want to try, you can fly OVER a national park you just can't launch or land from national park land... so technically if you can find a location nearby that is NOT part of the park to launch, fly over and get your footage, and then get back to your takeoff (non park land) point to land, that should technically not be illegal.

That would be hard. The park is an island.

I would ask a ranger at that specific park if you could fly and film, explain what it is for. I've heard that individual parks have some leeway in granting waivers.

I would research the actual prohibition before launching outside a NP. The law reads something like "launching, landing or operating over a National Park is prohibited. I don't think that loophole actually exists. And with the number of pilots being fined and their drones being confiscated in places like Yellowstone, Zion and Yosemite, I'd do my research before taking any chances that could leave me droneless and facing a several thousand dollar fine.

jimandsue60 said:
tstowe said:

Contact the park, maybe you can get a waiver.

I just sent them an email. I'll call if I don't hear back from them.

GoodnNuff said:
I would ask a ranger at that specific park if you could fly and film, explain what it is for. I've heard that individual parks have some leeway in granting waivers.

I would research the actual prohibition before launching outside a NP. The law reads something like "launching, landing or operating over a National Park is prohibited. I don't think that loophole actually exists. And with the number of pilots being fined and their drones being confiscated in places like Yellowstone, Zion and Yosemite, I'd do my research before taking any chances that could leave me droneless and facing a several thousand dollar fine.

Thanks, I will.

And this might be in my favor... might not. This park is Cumberland Island off the coast of Georgia. It isn't visited as much as the big ones like Yellowstone. Especially this time of the year.

I'm from GA, been there many times it is indeed a beautiful location

tstowe said:
GoodnNuff said:

Thanks, I will.

And this might be in my favor... might not. This park is Cumberland Island off the coast of Georgia. It isn't visited as much as the big ones like Yellowstone. Especially this time of the year.

I hope they allow you to film then. Let us know what their response is!

QYV said:
I'm from GA, been there many times it is indeed a beautiful location

Me too. Never been there though. I'm from Rome.

I live in Beaufort, SC now and it's only a few hours away.

Heh. If it's an island, chances are there won't be a ranger on it either unless a rather large one and has frequent visitors.
If it's not that all big, you will need a boat to get to it right?
Unless the lake is also part of the national park, no problem. Just fly from the boat.
When the park ranger asks what you're doing, reply with, "Whale hunting.".

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pitchpost