National Parks Rules

Reaction score
Anyone know what the policy is for national park system on flying drones within?
As the White House in Wash. D.c. is technically inside a NP, will my drone get shot down if I fly over the house?

I don't mean to sound rude.... but is this a serious question? Flying within a nation park vs flying over top of the White House.... two VERY different scenarios.

One of these could get you shot. Take a wild guess which one it is.

Suwaneeguy said:
Anyone know what the policy is for national park system on flying drones within?
As the White House in Wash. D.c. is technically inside a NP, will my drone get shot down if I fly over the house?

I would at least give it a shot, make sure you record the event for us

If "National Parks" cant be used for recreation ... what the hell do you have parks and major amounts of open public space for ??

And I thought when people say the US is turning into a police state, they were pulling my leg .....

but on a non serious note, I do like the idea of a WH flyby ... wasting a Phantom P2v with the WH Surface to Air battery would look way cool on Video :twisted:

I sure hope this is a joke! Time flies so I have to look at the calendar to be sure it isn't April.....nope still February. This can't be a serious question. If you try flying over the White House I advice the following: 1) Kiss your family bye first, it may be a while before you see them again! 2) Write off your Quad. Even if it lands safely you will never see the vehicle of terror again except maybe on the witness stand. 3) Wear dull grey or bright orange, it will save you changing later!

At first I thought this was a question about flying in a National Park....you know Rockies Mountain National Park.....Arches National Park....Yosemite National Park, not flying over national monuments and government buildings kind of National Park. I mean really, this has to be a joke. No one can seriously think they can just grab something that flies and head on over to the White House for a few aerial photos.

Wait a minute....I heard the FAA was monitoring forums like this. This has to be a crafty counter intelligence maneuver by the FAA to get someone to give it a go so they can ban our hobby for good! (get the FAA and counter intelligence joke hidden there? :lol: )

The WH probably has a laser guided missile system that will roast your quad before it clears the iron fence out front. By that time there will be several black SUV's screeching up to you and a swarm of guys, some in suits, some in riot gear. They will let you know if it is OK to fly over the WH. How do you feel about Cuba this time of year?

Jack Bauer will take control of it with his cell phone and then put bullets in your kneecaps while he asks you what the f*ck you were doing!

However - I would love to see the resultant GoPro footage :lol:

make sure to stream the video to a seperate server in a remote location because if the missile doesnt destroy the gopro i am pretty sure they will confiscate the camera afterwards. Also make sure you are in GPS mode so the phantom goes into a hover after secret service tackles you to the ground and you lose the controller, if you are in ATT mode it will just float away and probably run out of battery before you can explain to them you are not a terrorist

Suwaneeguy said:

Flying over the White House only during the weekend. Very keen to see the footage!

Droid said:
Suwaneeguy said:

Flying over the White House only during the weekend. Very keen to see the footage!

Didn't Switzerland not scramble jets for that Nigerian airlines hijacking because it happened outside business hours?

At Haleakalā National Park on Maui, I was told by a Park Ranger that I could not fly my Phantom in the park.

She did not say if it was a rule for all parks, just that one, or her just saying no because she had no clue.

There is a NOTAM for Washington DC
NOTAM - Washington DC Metropolitan Special Flight Rules Area
From Section 4
A. THE FOLLOWING OPERATIONS ARE NOT AUTHORIZED WITHIN THE DC FRZ:
... MODEL AIRCRAFT OPERATIONS, MODEL ROCKETRY...
http://02b954f.netsolhost.com/images/FRZ_NOTAM4.pdf
http://www.modelaircraft.org/membership ... otams.aspx

HeliRy said:
You means you can't launch model rockets near the White House either? Shocking :lol:

Right, but that FRZ extends way beyond the whitehouse, out in to MD and VA. Looking at that (which I'd never seen), I can say that I have personally violated it when launching model rockets as a teenager. In MD.

spanktimonious said:
launching bacteria in a model rocket

Times have changed...now that same activity might get you in trouble with OHS instead of the FAA :D

I confess my forays in to model rocketry didn't have such noble goals as yours...and probably not the same level of adult supervision either.

spanktimonious said:
OI Photography said:
I confess my forays in to model rocketry didn't have such noble goals as yours...and probably not the same level of adult supervision either.

Make no mistake, we weren't noble at all.

When we were bored we would insert an 8" fuse into a bare Estes "engine" (cardboard wrapped around propellent) put it into the middle of the street and light it off.

Where it eventually landed nobody knew...

"I have no recollection of those events, your honor" :cool:

spanktimonious said:
The only National Park restriction that I am aware of is the one in the Grand Canyon National Park (that came about due to some Team Black Sheep flying near visitors and birds):

http://www.nps.gov/grca/parkmgmt/upload ... endium.pdf

Mr. Google does not point to any restrictions in Haleakala.

But you can still fly there right? It's not a law or regulation, it's only a restriction so why not? They're not the FAA after all.

Suwaneeguy said:

Very simple -
Here's the number for the White House Visitor's Office: 202-456-2121

As for the national parks, same thing. Just call in and ask them, they'll most likely ask you to come show them.
Good chances of them thinking that your Phantom is awesome as well (as has happened most times with me).

:ugeek:

nintendrone64 said:
Very simple -
Here's the number for the White House Visitor's Office: 202-456-2121

If anybody does call the white house to ask if it's ok to fly a Phantom over it, please do record the call for the rest of us :lol:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers