National Corvette Museum Sinkhole - UAV Footage

LuvMyTJ

Admin
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Reactions: dirkclod
The same way the production crews of Goldminers, Love it or list it, and many other TV shows do. I guess we are to assume they have the proper licenses & permits.

havasuphoto said:
djscoutmaster said:
Can anyone comment on how the wall street journal is able to use a drone for commercial use here?
Read this; http://dronelawjournal.com/

i used to have a Z06(2003 50th anniversary edition)...so sad.

Interesting read. There was... I say was cause it seems to be gone now, a ruling on the FAA site that prohibited commercial use. The FAA is modifying the rules as we type. Where that ufo is listed is now info stating they are working on a new set of regulations. Something tells me they will require all sorts of red tape for the average hobbyist and average videographer.

I currently own a 45th anniversary Corvette and found that story very disheartening.

The FAA, to my knowledge, has not even started the required "Notice or Proposed Rulemaking". Therefore, they cannot enact any law(s) against drones, until after the public comment part of that NPRM closes.
So, basically, they have about a year, before anything can be put in place-that's just my observation and strictly my opinion, only.

Like any other Law-this requires a certain procedure. The FAA currently doesn't have any Laws on the books. Therefore, they have no regulatory authority-the end.

I've dealt with the FAA more than half my life as a Pilot. Some of them ended up being friends of mine, and some, not so much.

I miss my Vette. That thing would cruise at the "speed limit", and get 27mph in 6th. Dropped to about 8 mpg in town though. But a hell of a lot of fun to drive. Had the HUD, and it was Millennium yellow....never should have sold it. Still have the cover for it in my garage :(....

I happen to live in one of the areas that the US gov is testing drones (NY) and a few months ago they had one go down into Lake Ontario. Still haven't recovered it.
http://www.syracuse.com/news/index....ch_for_reaper_drone_lost_in_lake_ontario.html

I also get close to 30mpg outta my Vette on the highway, a bit higher than the posted limits. Pretty amazing a sports car with the power & speed of a Vette can pull such great milage... provided you leave the lead shoes at home. :mrgreen: Mine is the ultra rare color of Majestic Amethyst. Only 246 coupes made in that color ever. Love it!

Mine was a '69 with 427, 4 speed in canary yellow, convertible. Probably the only car I regretted selling. MPG? Who cared. It was a magnet to be sure.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I don't think that the FAA has any jurisdiction inside buildings.

You should be able to fly till your hearts content and charge as much as you like with absolutely no concern about FAA rules (real or imagined) as long as you are indoors.

Yeah........
I can outrun most "hotshots" 'round these parts as we are plagued with fast n furious tuner-type4pot shopping carts! It takes a fair chunk o' money to beat a Vette's bang for buck factor. .If anyone wants to chase off me and my P2V , my 93 Bright Aqua convertible with white 40 the anniversary interior and top will make for a stylish getaway !!

The WSJ footage is the same that was on our local news here in Louisville, Ky. Obviously no one without a reason to be there was allowed inside. The UAV footage was shot by students from Western Kentucky University (WKU) engineering school who were there with civil engineering professors from WKU. WKU is in Bowling Green, Ky, where the museum is located. The profs were called in as consulting engineers to assess the integrity of the remaining structure. The dome over the hole was found to be fine. Despite the "WSJ Live" logo, the video was not live, and not shot by anyone from the media.

They're presently doing some reinforcing work around the perimeter of the building. Once that's done, heavy equipment (e.g., cranes) will be brought in to extract the Vettes. They're all to be removed, even those buried out of site. GM has stepped up to oversee their restoration - costs largely covered by insurance ... yes the museum had sinkhole insurance (sinkholes are not that uncommon in this part of the state - Mammoth Cave is only about 30 miles away).

Once recovered, the cars are to be displayed at the museum for several months before being shipped off for restoration.

Visioneer said:
Once recovered, the cars are to be displayed at the museum for several months before being shipped off for restoration.

Really? That's awesome...that alone will be worth the 2-hour drive, which I'd been looking for an excuse to make again anyway.

OI Photography said:
Visioneer said:

Really? That's awesome...that alone will be worth the 2-hour drive, which I'd been looking for an excuse to make again anyway.

I saw that on our local news a day or two ago ... I suppose time will tell if it comes to pass. They're looking for ways to make lemonade from this lemon situation. Also talking about selling "memorial" pieces from the fallen structure.

Visioneer said:
OI Photography said:
Visioneer said:

I saw that on our local news a day or two ago ... I suppose time will tell if it comes to pass. They're looking for ways to make lemonade from this lemon situation. Also talking about selling "memorial" pieces from the fallen structure.

Very cool, thank you. I'll let you know when I plan to visit and you're welcome to join me for that and/or some flying.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic