Nasty crash... please help me get up and running again

Reaction score
Hi all

Last night I tried to shoot some aerial footage of bonfire night/firework displays. I wasn't trying to video an organised event - I just wanted to get highish and video the various explosions in the neighbourhood from people setting off fireworks in their back garden.

This was my first (and probably last) night flight. After a short time I hit a telephone cable, and this caused a crash, it wasn't from high up and it was a relatively controlled descent until the last meter or so when I landed with a bump.

I checked out the Phantom 2 (I've also got the H3-3D gimbal + gopro), and all looked well. So I attempted another flight, keeping a very close eye on cables this time. Unfortunately, as soon I was in the air (About 2m or so) the Phantom developed a mind of it's own and veered up and off to the right at full pelt. It was completely unresponsive to controls. I would've lost the **** thing had it not hit a tree.

It came down hard and at first glance was mostly intact. Although the camera/gimbal has come away from the main body.

On closer inspection I need some new props (one is completely snapped), it looks like a resistor or something has snapped off the ImmersionRC 600mw TX board, so that'll need to be replaced.

Most worrying is the gimbal. It appears to operate fine, except that the 'resting' position is now at an angle, with the camera being tilted sideways.

2 questions

1) what could have caused the Phantom to fly off like that in the first place - I expect that it was linked to the first minor bump - some internal damage maybe?
2) Could the problem with the phantom flying off and the gimbal tilting be linked? I.e. is there an internal level which could be out?

Any suggestions on how to fix the gimbal and safely test the copter would be appreciated!

You might have had a cracked prop from your first bump & not noticed it in the dark.

Your first crash caused the second crash. When you have an accident like that you can't just get back up in the air right away. You need to look for physical damage to running gear including shell, props, motors, ESCs and internal connections. Then you need to recalibrate IMU, compass and controls and check that they are within spec.

I would think about purchasing a GPS locator too

1. You will need to open it up and check all the connections inside. Use magnifying glass and inspect circuit boards solder joints.
2. inspect everything for loose screws, cracks, flex the props and check for cracks.
3 remove the gimbal and FPV
4. Recalibrate everything again
5. Test fly in grassy area without gimbal (with GPS locator attached)
6. Reattach gimbal. Calibrate everything again
7. Test fly
8. attach FPV. Calibrate everything again.
9. Test fly

Thanks for the help gents,

Yes, I'm also sure the first crash caused the second. I know I should've performed a more thorough check - I was just desperate - I only had a limited window to get the video and wanted to get back up there asap. I won't be doing that again!

Thanks for the step by step guide brad. I'll follow that now. A very newb question: How do I calibrate? I've never done this before.

Is it possible that calibration could sort out my gimbal issue? Or is it likely to be goosed?

First things first. I'm a private pilot. Yes, that qualifies me to answer your question. Second, I don't own a drone yet, but I own an RC plane that I built myself from scratch. Ok, now to your issue:
A crash is never a one mistake thing, it's a series of mistakes string together. Your first mistake was to fly at night with 0 experience, 0 knowledge of the surrounding area, and for what you're telling, not a lot of flight experience. Your second big mistake was to attempt another flight.
That's like crashing a real plane and just because the plane looks ok you're attempting another flight right then.
This is why the FAA is very concerned about drones for home use. People without any expertise can buy one and fly them.
If I were you would find a hobby place where they teach you the basics.

One thing to check that caused me no end of problems (until I discovered it) is take top top off and gently flex the motors and check for any cracks around their mounting screws.

it's also just worth removing the GPS from the top and making sure the ceramic antenna surround isn't cracked either.

If you're asking about how to recalibrate etc can I suggest before you even think about flying again, you sit down, read through the manuals cover to cover, read posts on this site and ensure you fully understand what you are doing? The fact you don't know how to do this single basic task would suggest you've not even gone through setup of your P2 properly.These are not toys, you don't just pick 'em up and fly.... and you shouldn't have even contemplated flying at night time whe you don't get the basics.

Your basic lack of understanding was the cause of these accidents. I don't meant to be harsh but there are enough idiots flying these things out there already without a potentially good pilot joining them :)

goldfishrock said:
If you're asking about how to recalibrate etc can I suggest before you even think about flying again, you sit down, read through the manuals cover to cover, read posts on this site and ensure you fully understand what you are doing? The fact you don't know how to do this single basic task would suggest you've not even gone through setup of your P2 properly.These are not toys, you don't just pick 'em up and fly.... and you shouldn't have even contemplated flying at night time whe you don't get the basics.

Your basic lack of understanding was the cause of these accidents. I don't meant to be harsh

+1

Also would add, consider your self lucky that nobody got hurt.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20