Name That Tower

Reaction score
Just thought I would start a conversation on different types of towers and what kind of distance you guys think should be kept between your Phantom and the tower to prevent interference.

Here's the first one (which I'm pretty sure is responsible for a flyaway I had):

And here's a much smaller one in a park by my house:

Attachments

• celltower01.jpg
    celltower01.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 525
  • celltower02.jpg
    celltower02.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 518
You say name that tower but you show that they are both cell towers! What are we naming again? Okay so you have two pic's of cell towers, Now what? Stay away from them simple as that lol :lol: As for how far in feet is probably different with each tower in use and what not, I'd just leave the area and find a different place to fly if these are giving you flyaways like you state..

Thanks phantomflyer. I know the small one is definitely a cell tower, but wasn't sure exactly what the bigger one was used for (I assumed cell & something else). Was just looking for any suggestions as to a rough estimate how far a person should be away from these things (as long as you can't see them? Or is that a tad ridiculous?). I definitely won't be flying nearby again.

Not really sure on distance to keep from them, I can see one from where I fly and it's a true cell tower very tall but it's about a mile away from where I fly I just don't send it in that direction either.

The first one is a cell tower with cell antennas on top. Half way down it has a microwave dish which is line-of-sight (very narrow beam aiming at another microwave dish).

Not sure about the second, but maybe a repeater antenna.

It is unlikely that either of those caused your fly away unless you flew threw the microwave rad center and it was transmitting at 2.4 or 5.8 and even then your spread spectrum radio should have compensated. The towers are not the likely cause of flyaway's unless there is a problem with the carriers equipment which in most cases would be caught and resolved by the carrier in short order. The Second Picture is a stealth pole the antennas are behind the covers. There is a post on RCU with a guy posting pictures of using his phantom to do inspections of towers and antennas. If that does not over load the reciever then I would guess your in the clear keeping a little distance.

looking at the first ,it maybe one that the emergency service's use and people like the gas and electric service's plus a few other's, we have same type here in the UK, it has a power station near it (the brick building to the left of picture) that house's the power and every thing else to go with the mast, that what it look's to me, we have one near to where fly for set up and practise.

Thanks for the reply BallisticPhantom. If I get brave (and once I get a GPS tracker for my Phantom), I might try flying around that area again.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic