Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Name for photo/video business

Discussion in 'Photos and Video' started by ironhead1530, Dec 15, 2015.

1. ironhead1530

I've been doing photo/video work on the side for a short time now, and want to take the next step by branding myself, setting up a website, business cards, etc. It'll be a process I do slowly through the winter months, but to start, I need a business name. Do most people just use "Last Name" Media? Cook Media (my last name) is already taken. Thought up Cookography, but that's taken also. Thought I had a good one there lol. Any suggestions?

2. Bryn Williams

Media-Cookery......

3. barefootbeachcombing

Depending on your first name...

Brian Cook Media
    Brian Cook Photography
    Cook Brothers Media
    Cook Photo
    Cook Air Video
    Cook Aerial Photo
    Cook Aerial Media

4. daveleeds

You don't need to be in the UK to use either of these but EagleCam.Co.uk or EagleCam.Uk is available.

5. beeline

Well Done Media. Cooked to perfection.

6. drquest

How about Cook Imagery? The .com is available for it.

7. BigAl07

BigAl07 Moderator
    Staff Member

You'll want to pick several and get feedback from friends and family. Then when you have it down to 5 or so then start searching the web for that name. You want to make sure no one near you has it before you make the next decisions and the URLs are available for it. You don't want to start branding yourself (cards, logo, etc) only to find out someone has the same name. I spent the $$ and had mine researched by a trademark attorney who got me going on the right path.

Here locally a brewery had been using their name for over a year before they got a letter from a larger company on the west coast that had been using the same name and for a couple years prior to this one. They had to stop, rename, and change everything.

You'll want to think about how catchy the name is, how easy it is to remember, and where it might fall in search engines. It takes time but if you get it right it can make a big difference.