Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Mysterious Black Dot Appeared On My P3P ??

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by FredK, Jul 21, 2016.

1. FredK

Hey everyone .. I have a P3P I got it 2 months ago and have 40 Flights on it .. I didn't update any firmware out of the box .. Everything seemed to work fine out of the box .. And have had 40 successful flights .. I always hand catch on landing.. Never flew on a cold day and never flown in tempeture above 28c .. I always do a detailed inspection of my phantom after every flight checking for cracks, loose anything.. And I always take a sniff inside the battery capartment for any unusual odor .. Also i keep my phantom very clean from and dirt or dust...

I did 4 flights on July 20 and upon inspection after the 4th flight I saw a Black Dot ( pea sized) inside my batter capartment of the phantom.. It looked like a cigarette burn on the bottom part near the fan i smelled the inside and it didn't smell burned or anything and I tried to clean it but it was nearly impossible.. I had to use an alcohol pad and I finally removed it with a fair amount of rubbing ... What the hell was that? Where did it just come from?? Anyone else have this happen to there P3P ?? I also checked the batteries and everything is completely normal ... I'm wondering if I should be concerned about this??

jcoop likes this.
  2. Digdat0

is it possible that some dirt /grime / bug got pulled into the gimbal fan and that was it? I know some bug guts are hard as crap to get off my car. I'm totally guessing man. Pic may help, but if you already cleaned it that may be hard.

3. FredK

No bug or anything .. First impression when I saw it I thought it was burned .. But if it was burned it wouldn't probably clean off with an alcohol pad or could it? What if there was a possible spark during flight that caused a black flare dot? And if so what part would cause that ?

4. Reed L

It probably got hot. Was there an identical mark on the battery? The batteries get really hot after flight, so I pull them out as soon as I land. Could the battery have leaked? If there's no mark on the battery and it wiped off, then I would just watch those batteries and be sure to pull them after each flight and feel the compartment. Be sure to let the bird cool for a few minutes if you're flying in high temps. .

5. FredK

No mark on the battery I checked it completely out and it's looking new all around .. Hmmm this is freaky .. After I cleaned the black spot the plastic was not melted or damaged either .. This is really weird .. Do you think it has anything to do with the fan right under the battery ?