My theory. On why flyaways are occuring

Reaction score
So, I have been flying my PV2+ for five tomes and i,ve been reading about flyaways, Naza mode, Home lock. I myself have seen on my unit where the compass calibration isnt working so swiftly. I dont get the grrn lights sometimes. So heres ,y take on flyaways. Most of you guys are using the naza mode setting the calibration, getting the gps lock on 6 satellites or more. I also see many are flying quite a distance away alot out of line sight and using home lock, which if im wrong correct me is suppose to return the drone back when you pull the right stick back. My theory is that the drone somehow gets confused on the initial home point that was calibrated. Somehow the satellite signals get messed up on the gps and when you guys try to do a RTH or use the home lock the drone takes off in a differnt direction based on what it now thinks are the GPS coordinates you originally calibrated. This could be a software glitch or it could be that the GPS signals spmehow have changed even by the slightest. The scary part is if im right no one can safely assume the satellite signals will bring you back automatically. Thats why i have used line of sight. Now if you have experienced a flyaway with sight and the phamtom just flew in an opposite direction that how you were moving the right stick maybe your nose was facing the wrong way and you were sending it in the wrong direction hence human error. I have tried to look at the distance it says on the FPV to check if when im pushing the stick its actually coming closer based on the numbers. Anyway those are my thoghts

I've not seen this in the phantom documentation but when reading through the NAZA Mv2 documents it states that you are not to move the craft within 5 seconds of power on. Apparently this will cause flight problems. I've been guilty of this.

Geo

From the mobile screenshots posted by those who have had a flyaway the phantom seems to be pointing to the center of the compass as if its returning home or at least telling the app that its pointing in the home's direction.

Even with the gimbal the final images received all also seem have a large tilt to it.

At first I was thinking it must be GPS/Compass confusion or home location mixup. But with the slanted final images on the mobile apps I'm thinking it could also be faulty wire or solder point to a motor and one of the motor's is cutting out.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm sure that DJI will issue a total recall when the flyaway cause is found. Rather difficult, however, :D to recall a flyaway.
On a serious note, I've always been careful to not move the Phantom after making battery contact until after the two series of rapid green. No flyaway yet, knock on wood.

Wow, after reading about fly aways there comes a point of too much information/theories. From what I have been able to determine the best way to avoid fly aways is too keep the Phantom in the box!

There is MAZA, 1.08 vs 3.0, stick position, gps, calibration, batteries, poor QA, weather, pilot error, phase of the moon (just kidding). After a while all I can do is hope it does not happen to me and if it does will I execute CSR OR CRS quick enough to at least have it fall out of the sky close enough to find?

I think there is a lot of good info on preflight checks and periodic maintenance to help ensure safe flights but this particular forum format does not easily lend itself to data collection. Maybe if there was a site where info could be collected then a particular problem could be isolated but until then, I think I will try to shy away from flyaway posts.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav