My solution for a gimbal protector

Reaction score
Nothing elegant about it, but it works. Cheap and effective. Standard roll of duct tape is just wide enough to do the job but not block the camera. This was my test setup. I redid it with a piece of fresh tape and took care to keep wrinkles out and with a little tension from the struts, it has a cleaner look. Cat added for cuteness.

A plus is that it is flexible enough to keep the Phantom from tilting over when landing on an uneven surface, but as you can see the resistance is usually enough to keep objects from making contact with the gimbal from directly below, or at least reduce the force greatly.

When my Phantom clipped a few leaves and wacked a branch square on the gimbal as it fell, this would have saved me. Easy to do, easy to remove, and best of all, did I say cheap? It won't make your gimbal indestructible, but it will protect the gimbal arm.

donations (or a replacement gimbal) accepted.... :)

Attachments

• Phantom3.JPG
    Phantom3.JPG
    194.8 KB · Views: 623
  • Phantom2.JPG
    Phantom2.JPG
    175.6 KB · Views: 656
Hi TailsUP!

I like your practical method and approach in securing the PV2+ camera and gimbal. It seems totally logical and sensible.

There is a thread/topic going on right now with a very professional approach on this subject: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=16518

I have some ideas myself too to add to what you and others have suggested.

It's unfortunate that PV2+ owners have to come up with their own 'fixes' or remedies to a very delicate camera/gimbal. What can be said though and to discount our tenacity. ;)

I'm thinking about a combination of yours and FastMites ideas; there's no question that bottom gimbal on the PV2+ needs to be supported and protected.

What about encasing the entire landing gear in a fine plastic mesh on 3 sides and supported on the bottom with the carbon fiber brace that Fastmites has engineered?

I think this offers a modest bit of protection, however, in a severe crash I don't believe it will help much. The legs will buckle in a hard crash and, even if the camera/gimbal suffers no direct impact, it it likely to bend and/or break simply from its own inertia in the crash. You know what they say about falling? "It isn't the fall that kills you...its that sudden stop at the end."

The stiff plate solution is one way, and perhaps better in some respects. It certainly looks better! I considered that, but landing on a gravel or an uneven surface might cause it to tilt over. Of course, none of these protect against the hard shock of a major crash that affects the electronics. I'm no expert at all, but I lost a 3rd party gimbal a while back that didn't have any obvious broken parts -- it just never would level again. I suspect the crash damaged the gyro or accelerometer chips, but I'm just guessing.

But you're right on target, anything that will keep objects away will help.

Tails_Up said:
The stiff plate solution is one way, and perhaps better in some respects. It certainly looks better! I considered that, but landing on a gravel or an uneven surface might cause it to tilt over. Of course, none of these protect against the hard shock of a major crash that affects the electronics. I'm no expert at all, but I lost a 3rd party gimbal a while back that didn't have any obvious broken parts -- it just never would level again. I suspect the crash damaged the gyro or accelerometer chips, but I'm just guessing.

But you're right on target, anything that will keep objects away will help.

Agree with the poster, even better is simply to hand catch and avoid it all together :D

I believe this is much to do about nothing
The gimbal and motor shafts are the week point
from my personal experience the sudden stop from less than a 5 ft drop is enough to snap the gimbal motor shaft off
the legs were fine .
This may help you if you fly into a bush as it may stop a direct hit to the gimbal by a branch however for the most part
protecting the legs and gimbal is really more like airline security

Makes some feel good but really does nothing to stop the real threat.
If there is a will there is a way.

Sorry to be the Debby downer but bottom line fly safe and hand land your gimbal will last

Dirty Bird said:
I think this offers a modest bit of protection, however, in a severe crash I don't believe it will help much. The legs will buckle in a hard crash and, even if the camera/gimbal suffers no direct impact, it it likely to bend and/or break simply from its own inertia in the crash. You know what they say about falling? "It isn't the fall that kills you...its that sudden stop at the end."

yup yup :cool:

Sad to report that my in-the-field research as shown that the tape won't keep taunt and slackens after a few hours. Rats.

Back to my laboratory at Vortex Ring State University. Another crackpot idea soon !

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers