My secret weapon for easy landings

I see it another way. Landing on a flat surface is easy, especially in GPS mode. When flying from surfaces which are not flat (ploughed field, boat, marshland, field with small trees and bushes in) then learn to hand catch. It means you are not so limited as to where you can fly from.
Definitely agree with that. No doubt
.. exercise caution etc.. but your point is solid .

Again just my opinion. Learn to land..practice and be patient!

Remember that last brand new camera you bought? Would you ever consider placing it "anywhere" outside with its lens cap removed and taking a leaf blower to it?

Last edited:
Reactions: varangian
I'd never tried hand catching a quad before the Phantom. I can land my manual quads just fine and the AR Drone 2.0 lands itself. But early on with the Phantom I'd get tip overs about every other landing. From then on I just park it 12 o'clock high and grab a landing strut. More than seventy times without any problems. I think hand launching might be a little more challenging but I'll try it next.

I took a couple of diggers on landings in uneven terrain... decided to try hand grabs. I'm so glad I did, it's so easy! I take off and land with catch. I wouldn't do it if I thought there was a risk, it's solid. After you do it a couple of times, you won't look back. If its so windy that its risky, you probably shouldn't be flying anyway =)

Reactions: adrenalineshots
I don't want to be like the pilot that lost much of his little finger doing that. I need all my fingers for my programming job. Landing on a nice soft rug is much safer.
He must have been totally uncoordinated or couldnt fly to not be able to catch it. Ive even caught it once when it unexpectedly dropped like a stone from about 20 m up, had prop guards on then and grabbed it by the guard cricket style and only a few minor scratches to my fingers and no damage to props or drone. Wouldn't attempt that though with carbon fiber props though as when they break they are razor sharp :).

Ironically, I did my first ground landing today and had to abort and revert to catching.
It was on soft grass and I noticed the phantom tipping fwd as the props was slowing down. I hard throttled up and hand caught instead. I'll try your method next time..

And I suggest the following..
Practice hand catching using prop guards - take them off when you are ready as the prop guards can cause erratic flight.

Catch in an open space, clear of people, animals, obstacles.
Watch your footing - staires/rocks uneven surfaces etc.
Make sure all switches are up
Make sure you have a lanyard around your neck to free up your right arm.
Have wind coming from behind you and have the phantom in front of you. If there is a gust of wind, it will move the phantom away from you and not give you a new hair cut.
Get the phantom at arms reach above your head and NOT at eye level.
Spin the phantom so you can see the back of the battery - this helps orienteering if you decide reposition the phantom or evade safely if there is an issue.
Lower to above head height and capture with right arm and use left arm to down throttle.

If done correct, the benefits outweigh landing.
Props aren't cheap - Using down throttle prevents the notorious CSC tip overs...
Camera aint cheap - inertia whiplash bounce landing cause tilt in the Vision plus camera.
Kids and dogs don't get damaged - I rather loose my own fingers than to hurt someone else.
You can now catch on boats.

Stay safe.
Yep exactly the way I catch mine Mako79 safest way and only way sometimes when on a steep embankment or steep trail or in long grass

Never had any real reason to hand catch my Phantom 3 Pro'.
Living here on the great Alberta plains, I can always find a flat spot to take off from and land the drone, when my batteries are getting depleted. I usually don't fly from many places that the drone couldn't RTH to land safely, on its own. ;-)

I can see why many of you prefer it, to a landing on terra firma, but that relationship isn't necessary for my style of flying.

RedHorPoker

Oh my, what? Don't be so verbal. ;-)
Ok, go on, spit it out son, what's on your mind tonight.
There you go, speak up, we don't bite, too often.
No, that's alright, go ahead.
Flying things are or can be, very dangerous, indeed.
Watch out!!

RedHotPoker

It's your signature son, I say your signature. It's not family friendly. [emoji85]
Little did you know. . .
image.jpeg

Eh, it's Alive!!

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
Reactions: Man.Of.Kent

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members