My secret weapon for easy landings

Reaction score
As a newbie pilot I had trouble with my landings. The top heavy Phantom 2 Vision+ would often tip over and on one occasion damaged the props. Then I read about all the problems with ESCs burning out when the motors stop suddenly and my landings became rather stressful. I considered adding longer legs or other contraptions to the drone but they all added weight and drag not to mention cost. In the end I came up with a perfect solution. Try not to laugh.

k2-_668ec8a4-c053-4f43-93ea-d4b91ab3cfe5.v1.jpg

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Transformers-Polyester-Area-Rug-40-x-56/39082776

It is a kids Transformers rug from my local WalMart. It is light and small enough to carry easily. It offers a large enough area to set down on. It can be laid out on any solid ground or even low grass. If the drone does tip over the blades will hit the soft rug and not get damaged (I tested this). The drone does not bounce as much on the rug as it would on solid ground. I have only one tip over since I got this rug. I find it raised my confidence enough that I can now cooly take my time while setting down and simply concentrate on doing it as well as possible.

BTW at first I was dismayed that the only rugs WalMart carried were kids rugs like this. It is hard to act like a pro drone pilot when you unroll this thing. However after many successful landings, I have come to love it.

As a newbie pilot I had trouble with my landings. The top heavy Phantom 2 Vision+ would often tip over and on one occasion damaged the props. Then I read about all the problems with ESCs burning out when the motors stop suddenly and my landings became rather stressful. I considered adding longer legs or other contraptions to the drone but they all added weight and drag not to mention cost. In the end I came up with a perfect solution. Try not to laugh.

k2-_668ec8a4-c053-4f43-93ea-d4b91ab3cfe5.v1.jpg

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Transformers-Polyester-Area-Rug-40-x-56/39082776

It is a kids Transformers rug from my local WalMart. It is light and small enough to carry easily. It offers a large enough area to set down on. It can be laid out on any solid ground or even low grass. If the drone does tip over the blades will hit the soft rug and not get damaged (I tested this). The drone does not bounce as much on the rug as it would on solid ground. I have only one tip over since I got this rug. I find it raised my confidence enough that I can now cooly take my time while setting down and simply concentrate on doing it as well as possible.

BTW at first I was dismayed that the only rugs WalMart carried were kids rugs like this. It is hard to act like a pro drone pilot when you unroll this thing. However after many successful landings, I have come to love it.
Why don't you just launch and catch it with your right hand , no risk to the drone and you can release from really rugged rocks and uneven ground

Reactions: shealewwy
Why don't you just launch and catch it with your right hand , no risk to the drone and you can release from really rugged rocks and uneven ground
I don't want to be like the pilot that lost much of his little finger doing that. I need all my fingers for my programming job. Landing on a nice soft rug is much safer.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
I don't want to be like the pilot that lost much of his little finger doing that. I need all my fingers for my programming job. Landing on a nice soft rug is much safer.
Like programming if you get hand catching wrong it can be pain. Programme right and its walk in the park. Ive done hundreds of hand catches without any risk, just follow procedure.

Indeed.. hand catching is the best option. Descend.. hover at head height.. walk over and grab a leg, hold the power down and voila.. landed!
I can't see how you can screw that up to be honest... I guess the trick is "grab a leg" and not the body!

Reactions: adrenalineshots
I usually hand catch, but I also like trying to land on small areas just to see if I can do it, and even rough areas. The secret to landing on uneven surfaces without tipping over is to simply hover over the area you want to land on, come down slow and watch for the direction it starts to tip over on and give it a small opposite input on your cyclic to correct it. I can land mine on the roof of my house with mine, and it's not flat by any means.

After 60 odd flights, I did my first hand catch today. Went better than I expected.

It was very gusty here, so I thought I better try it. Yay me! lol

I've had around 30 flights with an fc40, 60+ with my old pv2+ and 6 with my current V3 and have always hand caught besides a couple of times with my old pv2+.

The X5C and Nano Drone are for touch and go. I've hand caught all but 2 landings or so. If I'm in a field or grass I use the carrying case for a launch pad.

I usually hand catch, but I also like trying to land on small areas just to see if I can do it, and even rough areas. The secret to landing on uneven surfaces without tipping over is to simply hover over the area you want to land on, come down slow and watch for the direction it starts to tip over on and give it a small opposite input on your cyclic to correct it. I can land mine on the roof of my house with mine, and it's not flat by any means.

Hey Mark Granger, WELCOME TO THE FORUM
Pay no attention to this kitari guy, he does loops and rolls with his Phantom. He could probably land on a moving car or the top of a utility pole.

Great find with the carpet, and congratulations on being able to land well.
I am going to WallyWerld and get one of those.

EDIT: Luv ya kitari... :p

Hey Mark Granger, WELCOME TO THE FORUM
Pay no attention to this kitari guy, he does loops and rolls with his Phantom. He could probably land on a moving car or the top of a utility pole.

Great find with the carpet, and congratulations on being able to land well.
I am going to WallyWerld and get one of those.

EDIT: Luv ya kitari... :p

I really can land on utility poles. Yep, last summer, I landed my phantom right into the side of one going full speed and I wasn't even trying. ;) Like a boss!

I keep a 4' x 6' rug in my case that I bought from Walmart. Use it for takeoffs but I hand catch for landing. Oddly mine is all black.

For me, hand-catching is more versatile, faster, and debris-free.

We all fly under different environments and it's fun to see how people adapt. I never use my hard-case anymore, but I liked to use it for launches and recoveries.

I mentioned to someone recently that I've been in places where I had to launch from my back pack. She was disappointed to learn the Phantom didn't launch out of it like a cruise missile.

Ironically, I did my first ground landing today and had to abort and revert to catching.
It was on soft grass and I noticed the phantom tipping fwd as the props was slowing down. I hard throttled up and hand caught instead. I'll try your method next time..

And I suggest the following..
Practice hand catching using prop guards - take them off when you are ready as the prop guards can cause erratic flight.

Catch in an open space, clear of people, animals, obstacles.
Watch your footing - staires/rocks uneven surfaces etc.
Make sure all switches are up
Make sure you have a lanyard around your neck to free up your right arm.
Have wind coming from behind you and have the phantom in front of you. If there is a gust of wind, it will move the phantom away from you and not give you a new hair cut.
Get the phantom at arms reach above your head and NOT at eye level.
Spin the phantom so you can see the back of the battery - this helps orienteering if you decide reposition the phantom or evade safely if there is an issue.
Lower to above head height and capture with right arm and use left arm to down throttle.

If done correct, the benefits outweigh landing.
Props aren't cheap - Using down throttle prevents the notorious CSC tip overs...
Camera aint cheap - inertia whiplash bounce landing cause tilt in the Vision plus camera.
Kids and dogs don't get damaged - I rather loose my own fingers than to hurt someone else.
You can now catch on boats.

Stay safe.

Last edited:
I must be missing something, I have never had a hard landing even in strong winds. They practically fly themselves.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20