MY Samsung 4K TV won't play MP4 or MOV

Reaction score
Hi I'm having a hard time trying to play my 4K content on my Samsung UHD tv. I've tried both file formats and no luck. Any ideas?

Hi i have a SONY BRAVIA XBR 49X850B (4K) Looks like i have the same issue here. NETFLIX UHD plays fine no problem. But can't play MP4 or MOV from my Phantom 3 pro .....Help please!

I just have a USB 3 card reader connected to my Samsung TV.
It reads .MP4 files fine right out of the bird.
I think it read .MOV files too but can't remember.

Hi I'm having a hard time trying to play my 4K content on my Samsung UHD tv. I've tried both file formats and no luck. Any ideas?
Hi i have a SONY BRAVIA XBR 49X850B (4K) Looks like i have the same issue here. NETFLIX UHD plays fine no problem. But can't play MP4 or MOV from my Phantom 3 pro .....Help please!
FYI, most 4K TVs do not support 4k video over USB/SD port input.

@SOGMACV if you check the manual for your TV (https://docs.sony.com/release/XBR-65X850B_55X850B_49X850B_i-Manual_BRAVIA_i-Manual_NA_EN.pdf) on page 249, it lists the supported containers, codecs and frame rates available to be played back over the USB port. Your TV goes up to 1080p/60, so you're going to have to convert your files to 1080p/60 or some variation.

@sarkis82 You are likely in the same boat but without the model number, it's impossible for me to tell. Check your manual for supported formats.

I have a Samsung 55 inch curved 4k TV. This thing blows me away. Anyway there is no USB 3.0 which is disappointing, only 2.0. How I play back 4k video from the P3P. I put the SD card into a card reader then I copy it to my laptops C: drive. If you try to play directly from the SD card >> Laptop >> HDMI >> 4K TV you'll get lag. I have a fairly decent latop with 8k memory.

I never tried any of my various card readers on it yet.

Another method I could try that I use with my 3D archive. Copy all of your videos into a slim 2 TB external harddrive. Then plug that into the TVs HDMI port and play directly from the HD. That will get around USB stuff.

I have a Samsung 55 inch curved 4k TV. This thing blows me away. Anyway there is no USB 3.0 which is disappointing, only 2.0. How I play back 4k video from the P3P. I put the SD card into a card reader then I copy it to my laptops C: drive. If you try to play directly from the SD card >> Laptop >> HDMI >> 4K TV you'll get lag. I have a fairly decent latop with 8k memory.

I never tried any of my various card readers on it yet.

Another method I could try that I use with my 3D archive. Copy all of your videos into a slim 2 TB external harddrive. Then plug that into the TVs HDMI port and play directly from the HD. That will get around USB stuff.
Doesn't your Samsung TV use the Evolution box? Mine does and it has a USB 3 port.
I don't think you need USB 3 to read 60Mbs 4k files so USB 2 should work for you.

Format ur sd card in fat32 first before use.. Some tvs dnt support exfat (p3 formats it as exfat) .. U can transfer the vids on ur pc first then format ur card as fat32 then transfer back the videos if u want to view them on ur tv

Doesn't your Samsung TV use the Evolution box? Mine does and it has a USB 3 port.
I don't think you need USB 3 to read 60Mbs 4k files so USB 2 should work for you.

Ya it has the evolution box. That has 4 or 5 HDMI and 2 USB on the side that say 2.0. There is 1 USB 3.0 but that's on the back of the TV and I haven't tried it since I didn't need to. The TV is mind blowing with 4k raw video. The P3P does compress the 4k quite a bit that's its really around 1080p datastream.

Grass and road markings don't render too well but somethings aside from that look pretty sweet.

The later samsungs play 2.7k strate from the memory card, I'm surprised they don't play 4k tho.

The later samsungs play 2.7k strate from the memory card, I'm surprised they don't play 4k tho.
They do play 4k straight from the memory card. But if there is no USB 3 port on your Evolution box then you don't have latest and 4k may not work.

Don't have a clue on that, mine just has a usb on the back and a usb 5v what ever that means.

Format ur sd card in fat32 first before use.. Some tvs dnt support exfat (p3 formats it as exfat) .. U can transfer the vids on ur pc first then format ur card as fat32 then transfer back the videos if u want to view them on ur tv

I second this.

I have a 55" Samsung 4k tv and it plays my phantom videos fine. I use my ipad mini with the smart view 2 app, then swipe up on the ipad to view vids and pictures on the tv. works brill.

I have a 55" Samsung 4k tv and it plays my phantom videos fine. I use my ipad mini with the smart view 2 app, then swipe up on the ipad to view vids and pictures on the tv. works brill.
Not to be pedantic, but your tv is displaying a stream from your iPad, which the ipad is decoding. Quite different than trying to get the tv to decode 4k video through a USB port.

From Samsung official website, we clearly know that Samsung TV is only compatible with MP4 in H.264/MPEG-4 AVC video codec and AAC audio codec. However, MP4 is a container format which contains various kinds of video and audio codecs. Once the MP4 files can't meet the requirement of Samsung TV input format, you'll get into trouble to play MP4 in Samsung TV.

To solve this issue, you'd better to convert your MP4 to Samsung TV MP4 format. Highly recommend three methods here:

Method One: HandBreak can convert MP4 to Samsung TV MP4 format.

Method Two: A full tutorial to help you solve various kinds of video that Samsung TV won't play.

Method Three: Online-converter is similer to HandBreak.

Hope one of them fits you.

Reactions: ParsnipHysorter
I sympathise with the Samsung and Sony 4K TV owners out there. I recently had to replace my TV and wanted to go to a 4K one. I downloaded some 1080p and 4K footage from my P3Pro onto an extremely fast USB stick and went to one of the biggest TV retailers here in the UK. They allowed me to play the footage on several makes and models and I found that it was only the Panasonic CX802 series played them back flawlessly.

None of the Sony ones would play back the 4K footage (they did do with the 1080p footage) - I've since read on other forums that this is a well known issue with Sony 4K TV's. The Samsungs, including the 8K model either didn't play the 4K at all or, in the case of the 8K TV played the 4K stuff but there was quite a lot of distracting flickering of the image.

So I settled on a 55" Panasonic CX802B and it plays both my Phantom and GoPro 4K footage perfectly.

My lg will play back 4k, an cheap way around this is to buy a cheap android TV box from eBay most will play back 4k via USB no problem, also you have all the other added extras on the box like kodi

Reactions: ParsnipHysorter

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav