My Prop balance solution

Reaction score
I posted this on RCGroups and thought some of you here might be interested.
I solved my problem of balancing the DJI props by cutting a disk with my laser cutter that has a hole the exact size of the Dubro shaft in the middle and an OD that is exactly the size of the ID of big hole in the prop. The thickness of the piece is .180" I put the rod in the hole in the middle and then put the aluminum tapered piece that comes with the set with the flat side behind that to be sure the plastic piece is perfectly centered when it is pushed it the big hole in the center of the prop and then push the rod all of the way in until it bottoms out all of the way into the inside of the tip of the prop. It works perfect on both the black and silver props. There is a VERY slight taper in the plastic piece because and that end goes into the prop first.
I can remove everything and put it back and the balance stays the same every time!! It took me about 25 "versions" in the programming to get it to be exactly what I needed but it was worth it. Now I am confident that my props are right.
I also have a version for the magnetic balancers. I trust the magnetic balancer more that the Dubro because there is less friction. There is some drilling to be done on the props but it is really not a big deal to do. You drill a 7/64" hole from the back of the prop and then use a tapered reamer to make the hole be a friction fit to your shaft.
Mofroggy

Attachments

• Prop Balancer 1.JPG
    Prop Balancer 1.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 426
  • Prop Balancer 2.JPG
    Prop Balancer 2.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 342
  • Prop Balancer 3.JPG
    Prop Balancer 3.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 435
Interesting! I have a dubro and I'd tried to achieve pretty much the same thing at one time, except I didn't drill the hole in the prop cap for the shaft. I was trying to find something with those same ID and OD you achieved, but I was trying to make it about 3 times as long (thick?) as yous...i.e. covering more of the balancer shaft. I wasn't able to create find/create anything suitable so I eventually scrapped the project, but it's nice to see it was at least a sound idea :D

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic