My Phantom Went R.I.P. in the Ocean Today...

Happyflyer said:
"Went with a guide to the small beach town of Macao about 15 minutes away from Punta Cana DR this morning. Looking to film some beautiful scenic views of the area, then continuing on to Higuey from more filming."
Where on planet Earth is this?
There's this new-fangled thing called Google ... it tells me it's in the Dominican Republic.

Meta4 said:
.....There's this new-fangled thing called Google ... it tells me it's in the Dominican Republic.
And some times it actually works....
Thanks.

NuclearRhino said:
I know exactly how you feel man, just crashed mine 2 days ago, gimble warped out of shapes, smashed props, and an all around none working unit. :cry:

These gimbals like to think they're in Star Trek. Warping about the place.

John J. said:
Happyflyer said:
....Where on planet Earth is this?

DR = Dominican Republic.

- John
I looked at that John and looked again and that one just would not pop up in my old mind. Most of the time I get the area/country, but this one went right over my old head.

NuclearRhino said:
I know exactly how you feel man, just crashed mine 2 days ago, gimble warped out of shapes, smashed props, and an all around none working unit. :cry:
Sorry to hear, can anything be salvaged?

- John

I'm sorry to hear of this loss, too. Many of us have been through it (or close) - you can see.
Yesterday, I had a situation where I was filming low over a small creek for some water shots. It happened that one of the blades hit a small branch and the bird flipped. No obvious damage to the bird and I thought I had inspected it well. But when I restarted, it throttled in excess and "out of control", to the point where i very quickly shut the thing off (in mid air) to avoid a fly away. Very fortunately, it was very low to the ground and no damage was done but I think that the reason the bird went crazy is that there was damage to one of the props and there was irregular thrust coming from that prop. I think the motor was overcompensating. The take-home point for me was - look very carefully at props after any even minor crash to be sure you won't get a problem w/ uneven thrust or other issues.

Hope you find a way to get back into the air!

BaldEagle said:
I'm sorry to hear of this loss, too. Many of us have been through it (or close) - you can see.
...Very fortunately, it was very low to the ground and no damage was done ...Hope you find a way to get back into the air!

Thanks BaldEagle,

Glad hear your mishap turned out for the better.

As for me I'll pick up a new P2/Zenmuse/GoPro4 when I return home next week. Definitely going to add the following upgrades:
- DJI Lightbridge
- FrSky Taranis radio
- GPS tracker
- Waterbuoy flotation device

My dealer suggested I might consider waiting until April/May for the eminent release of the Phantom 3. Without concrete knowledge if the P3 will allow for GoPro4 use, longer flight times, etc., I have to attend to getting ready for some commercial flying this spring including insurance and Transport Canada clearance.

- John

Sorry to hear about your loss..

It sounds to me like the home point was not locked before take off and locked while out of sea and where it ultimately came down. As others have said, the compass calibration does NOT register the home point.

I wait until I get the rapid green flashing lights (Home Point registered) before doing the compass calibration.

elijahallen said:
I feel your pain, I lost a Vision plus to lake michigan this fall, I only had it a week ugh
Hey Elijah,

Sorry to hear, how did it happen?

- John

John J. said:
BaldEagle said:
...Very fortunately, it was very low to the ground and no damage was done ...Hope you find a way to get back into the air!

As for me I'll pick up a new P2/Zenmuse/GoPro4 when I return home next week. Definitely going to add the following upgrades:

- John
Don't waste your money. Waterbuoy does not work.

syotr said:
John J. said:
BaldEagle said:

- John
Don't waste your money. Waterbuoy does not work.

Thanks Syotr, know of any other alternatives for the Phantom?

- John

John J. said:

- John
Don't waste your money. Waterbuoy does not work.[/quote]

Thanks Syotr, know of any other alternatives for the Phantom?

- John[/quote]
Lots of people have been using the "Getterback" http://motorcitydroneco.com/products/ge ... ery-system
It does not float the bird but deploys a float up to the surface connected to a long length of fishing line. I have not heard of anyone actually recovering a Phantom with any of these devices. Best to never let it sink. If you do recover it, especially from salt water, it may never fly again.
That's why I built my waterproof, floating quad.

Well that Getterback would have saved 10 of us close to 2 hours of searching until my Phantom/footage was recovered. Any pics/YouTube of your floating quad set-up? Thanks.

- John

For anyone interested, here's a quick video edit from the footage I was able to salvage once we retrieved my Phantom 2 / GoPro Hero 4 from the ocean in Punta Cana. Really wished the R.I.P. clip wouldn't have been corrupted…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03uLQ9uP-v8

Thanks JJ!

Like I've heard said, "if you want big shots, ya gotta fly over water"!

I'll be back up in the air with an even better system this month!

- John

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers