my phantom pro came with 1.4... should I update or not

Reaction score
I see so many "horror" stories about upgrades.. please help a newb.. just wanna fly wich is nearly impossible here anyways.. paid alot.. of course just before the price drop on a pro 3.. just want to do the best.. enjoyed the few flights I've had.. took the camera and gimble off immediately. . Protector and landing gear on its way.. but just want it to go right for once.. failed with helicopters.. rather not fail here.. all opinions welcome.. also is rth the basis for the 100 feet newb range.. so in other words.. if I move more than 100 feet to rth even though I'm still close is that why the forward lock out happens.. I'm assuming so... TIA

The only change which might be worth having since then is 'improved' battery management in cold conditions.
This also slows the P3 down significantly when it's cold so as not to draw power too quickly from the batteries - thought to cause sudden motor shutdowns.
You can certainly ignore any nagging about updates indefinitely if you want.
The update procedure is somewhat complex and has been known to fail - just fly as is for a while at least.

An alternative to avoid the cold battery danger is keep them warmer e.g. in pocket or vehicle before using.

I see so many "horror" stories about upgrades.

Tim,

Although I know I'm in the minority, I agree with 4wd. I've got two P3Pro's and I've got both of them on 1.4. Works just fine for me. Even if you decide you want the updates just to stay current, get familiar with the bird and read, read, read. This forum is a great place to get very knowledgeable info to make the decision that's right for you. Learn the bird and how it flies, worry about all of this other stuff when you have the time.

I assume if you're in ND you can fly around your home. Do so and as 4wd stated keep your batteries warm. I fly right out my front door a lot. When it's cold, I put the bird outside without the battery for about 15 minutes, I leave the batteries in the house. When I'm ready to fly I just take battery 1 out, put it in the bird, fire everything up, take off and let it hover close by for a little bit. I move it around and let it get a bit warmed up before I go on my run. If I'm flying multiple batteries, I land the bird, shut it down, take the battery out and swap it for another I have in the house. The battery after the first doesn't need the warm-up but I still do the hover and move it around a bit close by before I head out, just in case. I haven't experienced any issues doing so. Go out and fly a bit (carefully) and have some fun! Post some videos to show us how it's going!

Jerry

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic