My Phantom is no more :0(

Reaction score
Was out flying this evening and everything was going well. No wind at all which was great.
About 2 mins into a flight I hovered the phantom at about 30 metres, then after a few seconds it took off on its own. Now I had full GPS lock and everything is calibrated perfectly including the compass. Couldn't get control back so tried turning off the controller to force it to fail-safe but it kept fly up and away.
Spent 4 hours searching for it and the gopro, no luck :(

So what's the deal with this fly away thing I'm seeing posted on this forum and others as well as Facebook. It's pretty crazy if its happening to quite a few people, I mean thats over 1000 Euro that just flew away tonight. Madness!!

I'll go out again tomorrow after work but I don't hold much hope as it went up so high I couldn't see it any more so it could have landed or crashed anywhere(Lots of barley fields, golf courses and parks as well as the sea beside me).

Bad Times :cry:

RIP-347-x-300.jpg

When a flyaway occurs, turning off your transmitter is the worse thing you can do. The only way to regain control is to go into manual mode.

BruceTS said:
When a flyaway occurs, turning off your transmitter is the worse thing you can do. The only way to regain control is to go into manual mode.

I tried the manual mode(well the one under GPS on the controller) before powering off but nothing happened.

Edit:
Have DJI commented on the "fly away" at all?

You have to enable manual mode in Naza assistant, most likely you just went into attitude, which won't allow you to regain control. Personally I haven't experienced a flyaway yet, however from what I've read in other threads about Naza runaways, the only way to recover is by going manual mode. Then you can switch to attitude, once you are back under control.

Not to my knowledge, haven't heard it being addressed by DJI, maybe someone else here has heard or read something.

So sorry.

I lost one already - hit the lake and sank. Cost me $100 to get a diver to get it out, but it won't fly again, and I lost one last week, that hit a tree and I got it back.

Many suggested I change radio's to use a better TxRx, which I purchased this week, and am installing now.

Like you, I'm freaked out by it. DJI won't do anything. Not even comment or reply on an email.

It's possible the solution is to change platforms. Use someone elses controller.

Darren

I thing there may be a issue with PPM comunication between receiver and Naza. If its failed you can lose control withaut failsafe activation. I thing that PPM mode can be bomb igf there is comunication issue.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Hi guys,
New here and new to my Phantom. About less than an hour of flight time. I'm thinking of getting a label maker and just putting a $200 dollar reward if found label on it in case this happens. At least recover the camera and gimbal. The average person walking around that might find it would rather have $200 than a broken Phantom.
Cheers,

Rob

gump152 said:
Hi guys,
New here and new to my Phantom. About less than an hour of flight time. I'm thinking of getting a label maker and just putting a $200 dollar reward if found label on it in case this happens. At least recover the camera and gimbal. The average person walking around that might find it would rather have $200 than a broken Phantom.
Cheers,

Rob

Couldn't hurt! cheaper than buying a new quad!

I thing there may be a issue with PPM comunication between receiver and Naza. If its failed you can lose control withaut failsafe activation. I thing that PPM mode can be bomb igf there is comunication issue.

I agree with the PPM communication problem. PPM is great for manufacturers, because it is simple, and able to be put
on a small pc board, but is very susceptible to multi-path interference, and other electronic signals can lock on, and it has
a difficult time recovering.

DJI is definitely scrambling to catch up to what's going on. Coming out with firmware change, after firmware change, coming
out with two different Naza controllers, the led's are being upgraded, and a new main board / led upgrade for the Phantom
as well. All these changes coming boom, boom, boom, one right after the other.
The only thing they haven't changed, is the type of radio system. I have never heard of anyone mentioning a fly away,
with a non stock radio, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

has anyone managed to get dji to admit there is a problem and it is not a straight out of the box ansd fly like they quote .has any one managed to get theres replaced

I put a big sticker on the top of the unit which says "REWARD" and then my phone number, just in case. Knocking on wood. Had my Phantom for 1.5 months and no fly away issues.

christianjou said:
Does this problem concerns phantom 1 or vision ?

drone-man
mine was version 1 with the latest firm wear.there does not seem to be any solid reason for it happening.it might me some glitch in the circuit maybe .if you google there are a geed few people who have lost control and know way to bring it back.£700 down and still looking

Yikes, Sorry to hear about this. Anything that you put in the air really should have a GPS tracker on it. It is possible to by a Phantom only replacement. Contact your dealer.

The new Phantom, v1.1.1, isn't PPM. It's D-BUS. And they added a second antenna. I figure they did both in an attempt to stop flyaways.

The best measures to take are to put a label on your phantom with your contact info AND have a tracker of some sort on it. Neither did me any good when I lost it in a lake, though.

The Don said:
The new Phantom, v1.1.1, isn't PPM. It's D-BUS. And they added a second antenna. I figure they did both in an attempt to stop flyaways.

The best measures to take are to put a label on your phantom with your contact info AND have a tracker of some sort on it. Neither did me any good when I lost it in a lake, though.
yeah if i ever get the wife to let me buy one again i will fit a tracker on it .they know there are problems but they just won't admit it .one guy from there claimed they don't fly away its just people trying to get a free phantom....WHAT ?

What Transmitter is everyone going with. I am really looking at DSLRPros Futaba 8FG Black Edition. Anyone using anything that is more pocket friendly?

GorData said:
What Transmitter is everyone going with. I am really looking at DSLRPros Futaba 8FG Black Edition. Anyone using anything that is more pocket friendly?

I've got the Turnigy 9x, which is a clone of a common model produced by several companies. It's pretty decent out of the box, but adding some open-source firmware really opens up its potential.

Here's the standard version at HobbyKing, which includes a receiver: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... ch=Turnigy 9x

You can also order it without the Transmitter/receiver module, and add your own options instead such as a FrSky telemetry system (which will give you real-time battery status and other info).

9x without Tx/Rx: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... ch=Turnigy 9x

FrSky telemetry system that can plug in the back of the 9x:
(transmitter) http://www.alofthobbies.com/jr-transmit ... odule.html
(receiver) http://www.alofthobbies.com/frsky-d8r-xp.html

The 9x is one of the most widely used non-Futaba controllers for multirotors, there's a ton of support and other info all over YouTube and the rest of the web. And you can add on most of the same functionality of the Futaba for a fraction of the price. Futabas are definitely excellent controllers, but you don't have to pay that much to get a great system.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.