Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

My Phantom does not lift off...

Discussion in 'Phantom 1 Help' started by Fukukichi, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Fukukichi

Hello,

I just got my first phantom through Amazon, and I have a problem.

I followed the steps of the instructional videos Dji provides on Youtube and tried to fly it but failed.
    It seems that the nose side does not get enough floating power and when I try to lift it off, it just crash into the ground from the nose side.

The propellers are attached correctly and the motors are spinning correctly, but before it lifts, it just flips.
    It had happened twice already, and now I have 4 broken propellers and I don't know what to do.

Please help :|

2. Gizmo3000

tough one to answer
    are you waiting for the double or single green blink?

you might want to connect to the NAZA software and check to see if your IMU needs calibration.

3. Driffill

I find after a firmware update, the phantom is unstable on take off. Would be the same thing for one fresh out of the box. When you take off, be prepared to correct any movements.

If you have a gopro attached, it will change the centre of gravity (COG) more to the nose, and could possibly cause it to tilt forward on take off. I've been tempted to adjust the COG settings in the naza, but I fear I'll make it worse! Next time I get really bored, I'll grab 4 scales, do some math and sort out some COG adjustments :)

For now when I take off, if the ground has a slight slant etc, I'll always point the nose "uphill" to help compensate for any change in COG from the gimbal and gopro, because I'm using a servo gimbal, my gopro sits further forward than most set ups.

4. martcerv

On takeoff I think the best approach is just to give it full throttle or close to for the first part, then ease off and get it into a hover a meter or so off the ground. Also make sure there is no grass or anything snagged on the landing gear as this can flip you straight away. If its windy a slow take off will just cause trouble but be ready to give it some throttle and also to fly into the wind as it takes off.

5. Tom in SC

I noticed the same issue with mine, just a few weeks old. I will increase the throttle until the Phantom just starts to lift, then give it a quick increase in lift to get it off the ground. Be ready to back off and let it hover.

Tom in SC

6. GeneL

This is a setting to check which will cause the Phantom not to fly properly as soon as it tries to lift off. No harm in taking a look it:

In the Assistant, under "Basic" in the main menu, click "Aircraft," and make sure the second picture to from the left is checked for "QuadRotor X." At one time, it would default to the "I" setting, and screw up the way the rotors turned. I read somewhere that this has been changed in one of the updates, but it won't hurt to look.

It happened to me after a firmware update and my Phantom tried to go every which way but loose!

7. Iron Creek

I had the same problem at first found out that while the props were installed correctly they were upside down. Switched then (writing up) and never had anymore problems.

Don

8. mikrob

I agree with some of the other posts. Too little throttle will cause it to flip on its side. Increase throttle rapidly until it hovers then back off.

9. fizzviic

I have installed the new firmware, recalibrated everything but now, when applying full throttle for lift off, is has just enough lift to skip along the ground. Props are on right side up. Sticks are calibrated, IMU is calibrated, etc. I've have the props off and Assistant loaded so many times I'm stumped.

What gives? Ideas Please...

10. fizzviic

I have installed the new firmware, recalibrated everything but now, when applying full throttle for lift off, is has just enough lift to skip along the ground. Props are on right side up. Sticks are calibrated, IMU is calibrated, etc. I've have the props off and Assistant loaded so many times I'm stumped.

What gives? Ideas Please...

11. Glockindahaus

I would check in the NAZA software setup and make sure you have the correct craft selected. Ive heard of this happening after Naza updates and the wrong craft gets defaulted to.

12. marcus_canada

I would suggest you don't copy/paste repetitive posts around the forum, I've only been checking posts for 5 minutes and I've seen three of these already....

13. gazchap

Are you positive the props are on correctly? I had exactly this issue when I first got the Phantom, and it turned out I'd put them on upside down because that seemed to be the only way they'd go on easily.

14. Nunner

Did it look like this? My props are on properly but no matter what i do this thing will not fly.
    Were your props upside down or mismarked?

http://youtu.be/GBtjJMosLNU - this is all mine does on all firmware levels

15. tmcgowan

From your video, it looks like your motors aren't getting enough power. Another observation i have, is that the right front motor started up first, then the other three. Do all the motors turn with the same level of resistance?

Finally, Have you opened up the shell and examine the boards and wires for bad solder junctions or damage?

I had a bad motor/esc on my first phantom.

-Todd

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

16. Nunner

Hey Todd, thanks for the reply.

No, I haven't opened it up. I'm not sure if I should. I'd rather return it for a new one if it's not working properly. I feel like I have more of a leg to stand on when it's 100% functioned this way out of the box and I haven't messed with any internals more than the battery.

Thanks for the help!

-luke

17. tmcgowan

Yep, no need to risk a warrantee issue. I purchased mine through Amazon and didn't have any problem returning it. They even paid for the shipping.

Best regards,

-Todd

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

18. koldnsnowin

have you found a solution? I'm having this exact same problem right now