My Phantom 2 and I made the Local Paper!

That's a good article. So you're aware of the specific law against commercial use, but you do it anyway. You think the FAA is overstepping and have essentially made your own judgement call on it. This is either going to get you in trouble, or get your foot in the door first.

It's interesting to me because some folks decide something isn't legal, so they should stay away until it gets sorted, while folks like yourself... and not to sound insensitive here, but... think they know better than the law? But again, that's what ends up turning into an advantage if you're able to get away with it.

Do I assess this fairly?

Nice!! I was a little worried about the slant on the article at first, till I got to page two and saw where you quoted Peter Sachs' journal and they went with that angle. I just messaged him too, wanted to make sure he saw that publicity ;)

So...jewelry stores, banks...what's next? Exotic car dealerships? (Hint hint!)

Eos630 said:
That's a good article. So you're aware of the specific law against commercial use, but you do it anyway. You think the FAA is overstepping and have essentially made your own judgement call on it. This is either going to get you in trouble, or get your foot in the door first.

It's interesting to me because some folks decide something isn't legal, so they should stay away until it gets sorted, while folks like yourself... and not to sound insensitive here, but... think they know better than the law? But again, that's what ends up turning into an advantage if you're able to get away with it.

Do I assess this fairly?

There is no specific law against commercial use. Not yet anyway. If you think so, please provide some proof. ;)

OI Photography said:
Nice!! I was a little worried about the slant on the article at first, till I got to page two and saw where you quoted Peter Sachs' journal and they went with that angle. I just messaged him too, wanted to make sure he saw that publicity ;)

So...jewelry stores, banks...what's next? Exotic car dealerships? (Hint hint!)

For the first Jewelry store shoot, we contacted to local police department (we're in a small town), and they were OK with it. I guess I assumed that when the Credit Union hired me to do their shoot, they contacted the PD. I assumed wrong.

Here are the two pictures I've done so far. I am friends with the Jewelry store owner and I know that Marketing VP at the credit Union.

I used the Time Lapse function on my GoPro mounted on my P2 for these. Edited in Photoshop CS6.

Attachments

• 1972313_817497694932008_1448150306_n.png
    1972313_817497694932008_1448150306_n.png
    289.1 KB · Views: 757
  • 1970407_657400670987688_1308597483_n.png
    1970407_657400670987688_1308597483_n.png
    258.4 KB · Views: 768
Eos630 said:

Do I assess this fairly?

There are no laws in America about flying a personal UAV. The FAA wishes there was, but there isn't. He can and you can and everyone else as of right now, can do whatever they please with their UAV.

CONGRATS on the article!

DesertFlyer53 said:
Here are the two pictures I've done so far. I am friends with the Jewelry store owner and I know that Marketing VP at the credit Union.

Nice! I wish I had the vistas and scenery you get to work with :) I can't remember the last day I had sunshine that nice.

OI Photography said:
DesertFlyer53 said:

Nice! I wish I had the vistas and scenery you get to work with :) I can't remember the last day I had sunshine that nice.

I'm in the Southern California desert. The sun shines here 350 days a year. Get's a little old. ;)

Eos630 said:

Do I assess this fairly?
Not only are there no laws against commercial operation, a few weeks ago a judge overturned a fine that was levied by the FAA against a commercial pilot in Charlottesville VA.

DesertFlyer53 said:
There is no specific law against commercial use. Not yet anyway. If you think so, please provide some proof. ;)

Gotcha. The article says "In the meantime, it’s clamping down on, and fining people for, using the technology, especially in commercial capacity." So that's a bit misleading when you then read the drone law link you posted. I think the bottom line is that if the FAA wants to call these things aircraft, they can. Why? "Because screw you. We're the FAA." Not really an agency people want to tangle with.

In the meantime, I think I'll try to make the most of these freewheeling days of (mostly) unregulated flying.

This is great. Looks like you kept your cool and made your case clearly and consistently. Nicely done.

I am a bit baffled as to why people feel the need to call the police when they see a small object flying in the air. I mean if it had lasers shooting out of it, I would understand.

Eos630 said:
DesertFlyer53 said:

Gotcha. The article says "In the meantime, it’s clamping down on, and fining people for, using the technology, especially in commercial capacity." So that's a bit misleading when you then read the drone law link you posted. I think the bottom line is that if the FAA wants to call these things aircraft, they can. Why? "Because screw you. We're the FAA." Not really an agency people want to tangle with.

In the meantime, I think I'll try to make the most of these freewheeling days of (mostly) unregulated flying.

Oh, the FAA will send you a C&D letter if they get wind of your activities but it's nothing more than a scare tactic as there are no laws currently in the books. So... do it while you can because things WILL change soon.

I've been in the aviation industry for 30 plus years. I've dealt with the FAA on any occasions.

ianwood said:
This is great. Looks like you kept your cool and made your case clearly and consistently. Nicely done.

I am a bit baffled as to why people feel the need to call the police when they see a small object flying in the air. I mean if it had lasers shooting out of it, I would understand.

Well, apparently someone who was using the ATM at the time got a little nervous thinking my Drone had a high powered camera lens that could read their PIN number. :roll:

Instructions for taking pictures and not getting caught. From yours truely and somewhat tongue-in-cheek. ;)

1.) Do it early on a Sunday morning (less people out and about)
2.) Set your GoPro to photo time lapse mode... 1 photo every 10 seconds works well
3.) Take off from down the street. Don't take off right in front of your target location
4.) Use FPV. Either a monitor or goggles
5.) Don't stand out in the open attracting attention to yourself
6.) Fly no more than 5 minutes above your intended target (5 minutes equals 30 pictures. Plenty).
7.) Land away from your target, pack up quickly and drive away slowly

During the Credit Union shoot. A local cop pulled up as I was driving away. I knew he had been called because he was driving slowing and looking up into the air. I was pulling out of the parking lot as he was pulling in. If I'd have flown for 30 seconds longer, he'd have caught me. Although, if he had, I would have explained what I was doing and that I was hired to take the photo's. More than likely would have been a non issue.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20