My personal best

c449200ba41c3313c3e2008dd1f49852.jpg

Just short of my best. :)

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I did my first long range flight today as well. 12170' each way 250' over water with windsurfers. No real problems with battery or loss of signal. The video signal meter doesn't seem to be too accurate with regard to signal strength in the "middle" - it seems that it is either a really strong signal or a really week signal, and it goes from strong to weak really fast.

Reactions: mikecorn1
Mike, I fly my P3A in Sargent; drive by Richwood frequently. Lots of open land around us without obstructions or interference. I think our beach, estuaries and bays are beautiful video subjects. Wish I was a better photographer.

Today I did new personal best round trip 67,492 feet still had 74%at 33,000 feet I should have pushed it that extra 4% but 6.38 miles out is a good run.i am using the itelite boosted and battery mod with Hyperion G6.it was only +3 C can't wait for warmer weather..
Wow! Very impressive. I got all mind twisted reading your descriptions of your mods [emoji3]
How much all that stuff run in price?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike, I fly my P3A in Sargent; drive by Richwood frequently. Lots of open land around us without obstructions or interference. I think our beach, estuaries and bays are beautiful video subjects. Wish I was a better photographer.
[emoji106]

Itelite antenna 109.00,Sunhans 2.4 wifi boosters 120.00,battery mod 2xG6 hyperions 4S 15.2V 2400 mah 100.00 and battery tray 15.00.. Did my own Dji Lipo mod that's 100.00 And modded my controller that's 100.00 saved 200.00 bucks + shipping DIY..sadly I have paid much more as the Canadian dollar is not so good...
Nice setup! [emoji1360]

You got some great flying area down there. And fishing to.

I did my first long range flight today as well. 12170' each way 250' over water with windsurfers. No real problems with battery or loss of signal. The video signal meter doesn't seem to be too accurate with regard to signal strength in the "middle" - it seems that it is either a really strong signal or a really week signal, and it goes from strong to weak really fast.

Do you think the windsurfers make a difference. I was thinking about getting them and I have the p3p so idk if it matters or not.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I took my P3A up today to see how far I could take it before RTH kicked in. I made it 11,218 ft out. 22,771 total. I had a tree line on the other side of the highway. Real test will be true line of site no obstructions at the beach. If I can ever get good weather and time to go. Here is my flight.
0375abf113aebe470b2b3a0bb11d887a.jpg

Nice I almost matched you on a completely stock standard.
a63687344afaf54857a215698afd93fb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I took my P3A up today to see how far I could take it before RTH kicked in. I made it 11,218 ft out. 22,771 total. I had a tree line on the other side of the highway. Real test will be true line of site no obstructions at the beach. If I can ever get good weather and time to go. Here is my flight.
0375abf113aebe470b2b3a0bb11d887a.jpg

What FW are you on? P3, controller, app, os, etc?

thx

bob

Nice run but letting RTH bring it back could be catastrophic if there is a headwind.

Isnt the law 400 ft agl and line of sight?

No, the guideline is, but what exactly does that comment add to this thread?

I had windsurfers for awhile, they made a significant difference for me with my P3A. I want to say I got to maybe 15k with them. I wasn't totally satisfied though, as it seems a bit of a clunky solution. I eventually bought the dbsmods antenna. It was a fairly easy install. You still need good line of sight, but it has extended my range significantly. Two days ago i flew to 21,200’ (just over 4 miles) and still had good video feed. I landed with 9% battery so I suspect that's about the limit for me.

The two things I think are important to beware of on very long distance flights are wind direction, I only fly into a headwind when I'm going for distance; and I definitely try to avoid dropping the connection and allowing a RTH. The reason for that is that from my testing, full throttle flight is more efficient than slower speeds, and RTH seems to clock in at about 20mph. If I had gotten an auto RTH on the flight I mentioned and had any trouble regaining the connection (I sometimes have to restart my phone if I get complete signal loss), it's quite possible the lost efficiency from flying at a slower speed may have been enough to keep me from making it back home.

I don't get it? When I read "personal best" I thought it was going to be some really cool shot. Instead it has me scratching my head. (why?) Besides being illegal? likely dangerous and well rather stupid Russian roulette way of loosing your UAV. What is the attraction to checking distance? What is the thrill of posting it? I can't say I ever look at range out. Or height for that matter. Sorry - but I'm stumped. I guess I would call my longest distance "my worst". Is it mine is better than yours? longer than yours? As long as I have the range to get my shot (it will go well over what I need for actual usage) what's the point in taking it to the limit.

I don't get it?
Really you don't get it? Is that sarcasm or just that you truly don't get it?

I thought it was going to be some really cool shot.
When it wasn't you read through it anyway?

Instead it has me scratching my head. (why?) Besides being illegal?
It is not illegal. Driving 66 in a 65 is illegal. Flying without VLOS is not illegal. Flying higher than 400 feet is not illegal. It may not be a great idea but illegal. Today it is not.

What is the attraction to checking distance? What is the thrill of posting it? I can't say I ever look at range out. Or height for that matter.
I will help..Ever ride a motorcycle? Have you ever driven faster than the posted speed limit. Have you ever taken your sportscar to a track to race it? Drag strip? They make camera's for the express purpose of taking action video of the things I just mentioned. Is it a great idea to drive 120mph on the freeway.. NOPE, it's incredibly reckless, is dangerous to everyone on the road and it is actually against the law... People still do it, video record themselves doing it and post their law breaking behavior on youtube. (Again... flying out of VLOS is not against the law)

So i can understand if you are not the type to push the envelope why you would not understand. Some people do and will continue to do so even when the recommendations become actual laws.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj