My P4 Range Blows

Reaction score
....chunks

P4 8,633ft
P3A 20,654

Same GL300A Controller
P4 then P3A back to back.

It blows, it's getting sold. I am kicking myself in the head for not buying a brand new P3A W322 (v1) on eBay for $658 yesterday.

but dji says nothing wrong with range lmao

Citizen, please remember that you are just a soldier in the DJI army and you were given permission to operate a drone for you to improve your remote combat skills when the need arrives to support us!
Please put the drone down, take the BLUE pill are repeat after me:
P4 is wonderful, P4 is wonderful, P4 is wonderful, P4 is wonderful.

Really ... another P4 range thread ...
It's just a little important to know what the new P4 can and can't do. You may like to fly in circles around your house but other just like to fly. To do that, we need to know what the P4 can do in order to make a wise decision as if to buy one or keep the good old P3's. You said yours only went out 20', they make a little blue pill for that problem. Some of us don't want to buy into a "New" bird that isn't any better then the old bird.

....chunks

P4 8,633ft
P3A 20,654

Same GL300A Controller

It blows, it's getting sold. I am kicking myself in the head for not buying a brand new P3A W322 (v1) on eBay for $658 yesterday.
I'd like to get a P4 but from what I'm hearing, they're not worth it. So, you have one that only went out 8600'? That sounds poor to me, I like flying long so I think I'll wait until the P5 or 6 come out.

Reactions: westlightaerial
I'm waiting p7 might be able to get 30 min flight time

Reactions: JackTheTexan
and how it sucks

Phantom how much do you want for it? Since it goes less than half the range of your P3 I'll give you half of the price?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: JackTheTexan

Attachments

• 1459053103478.jpg
    1459053103478.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 514
....chunks

P4 8,633ft
P3A 20,654

Same GL300A Controller

I finally went a distance run today and I think I see what you all mean. It isn't as far as the P3P.

With that said, I got a $250 case, the batteries etc. I'm going to put a Long Range DBS antenna on line and call it good.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Jack1926
Patience P4 guys patience.... Give them some time to correct the issue. I have seen some real distance guys go a long long way with the p4

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

....chunks

P4 8,633ft
P3A 20,654

Same GL300A Controller

This is exactly the information that was DJI were asking to see in the other thread about the issues.
You should send flight data etc to the DJI tech staff, emails were given etc.

Solution for P4 range/battery life issues - Updated with Contact from DJI!

post 20 onwards give email addresses.

Give them some time to correct the issue. I have seen some real distance guys go a long long way with the p4

I know a guy took his P4 over 5 miles. It was in his car.

Here's a few suggestions to maximize distance:

1. Set your transmission quality to 4mbps
2. Check your RC channel radio interference. Manually choose a channel with the least interference. The channel hack providing 24 more channels helps find a quieter channel.
3. Try slipping on a windsurfer parabolic reflector set, one on each antenna. It's inexpensive and doesn't void the warranty. Works well. I got 15,000 the other day with my P4 using windsurfer, see below.

NOTE: I have found that flying around other Phantom pilots will take ALL channels from very quiet to very busy. This doesn't make any sense to me why two pilots can't manually select a separate channel and not interfere with each other. What happens when two pilots are near each other, the Go app will state poor communications in red font, deterring you from wanting to fly. Two times with someone flying Phantom nearby I've had issues, even when flying in automatic channel mode. I need to experiment more on this issue, but I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this issue.

upload_2016-3-27_22-44-45.png

Reactions: KevMo Photog
Flew my P4 yesterday in a wide open , unobstructed area with full LOS and lost video and telemetry at 3100ft (altitude: 275ft). Had to hit RTH to gain control back. Also tested altitude range going straight up overhead. Video breaking up at 1100ft. Virtually no signal at 1640ft. Got about 16 minutes out of battery. Used sport mode for about 5 minutes of the flight. Battery drains rapidly in sport mode. Very disappointing that regular flight mode is restricted to about 20mph Max. The only way to get any speed is in sport mode. No medium ground. All video in sport mode has half the screen covered in prop wash. Video quality in 4K mode was poor at 24fps. Very jerky. When shooting in 2.7K at 60fps video quality was spectacular. Overall very disappointed . I had a P3A that was awesome in every way. Saw the P4 and decided to give my P3A to my friend as a wedding gift and get the P4. I'll be returning the P4 and buying another P3A. See no need for the 4K camera of the P3P. DJI blew it on this one. Maybe upgrades (P4-2nd Gen?) or P5? (Will be a while for that one) and I'll consider it if they make the proper adjustments. Until then, the best value available from DJI is the P3A which continues to drop in price.

Flew my P4 yesterday in a wide open , unobstructed area with full LOS and lost video and telemetry at 3100ft (altitude: 275ft). Had to hit RTH to gain control back. Also tested altitude range going straight up overhead. Video breaking up at 1100ft. Virtually no signal at 1640ft. Got about 16 minutes out of battery. Used sport mode for about 5 minutes of the flight. Battery drains rapidly in sport mode. Very disappointing that regular flight mode is restricted to about 20mph Max. The only way to get any speed is in sport mode. No medium ground. All video in sport mode has half the screen covered in prop wash. Video quality in 4K mode was poor at 24fps. Very jerky. When shooting in 2.7K at 60fps video quality was spectacular. Overall very disappointed . I had a P3A that was awesome in every way. Saw the P4 and decided to give my P3A to my friend as a wedding gift and get the P4. I'll be returning the P4 and buying another P3A. See no need for the 4K camera of the P3P. DJI blew it on this one. Maybe upgrades (P4-2nd Gen?) or P5? (Will be a while for that one) and I'll consider it if they make the proper adjustments. Until then, the best value available from DJI is the P3A which continues to drop in price.

Thank You for an honest opinion of the P4. Most people here can't seem to admit it's a smoking POS. Yes, DJI will upgrade, but for now, hold on to your cards.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20