My P3S is on its way! Tips/Advice for a n00b?

Reaction score
So, I pulled the trigger on a refurbished Phantom 3 Standard and it should be here in a few days.

I'd like to know if anyone has any tips or advice for me as a new pilot!

Anything you wish you'd done or known at the start!

Go to YouTube and to the DJI channel... Search for phantom 3 standard and watch all their tutorials. It will help you in learning how to update the firmware and other helpful tutorials.

As macoman says and
Take time setting the Phantom up
Try the simulator before flying
Keep it in beginner mode for a few flights taking time to get used to the controls
Find a open field and run through some basic manoeuvres like flying in a circle some squares etc
Have fun

Reactions: Proud_Hufflepuff
As macoman says and
Take time setting the Phantom up
Try the simulator before flying
Keep it in beginner mode for a few flights taking time to get used to the controls
Find a open field and run through some basic manoeuvres like flying in a circle some squares etc
Have fun
As far as I am aware you can't use the simulator on a standard.

Learn the abbreviation list to understand what everyone is talking about. Plus there is a lot said that is not on the list. Trying to understand the conversation is a hassel at times.
Also DJI operation manual, what a farce. Guess they don't know how to explain different functions. They just show small symbols .
Also when someone gives an explanation, Why can't they put in a stickie, Instead of the middle of a post.
Rant over from this nooby

Learn the abbreviation list to understand what everyone is talking about. Plus there is a lot said that is not on the list. Trying to understand the conversation is a hassel at times.
Also DJI operation manual, what a farce. Guess they don't know how to explain different functions. They just show small symbols .
Also when someone gives an explanation, Why can't they put in a stickie, Instead of the middle of a post.
Rant over from this nooby
One more thing, There is the greatest bunch of people on this forum. Always there to help. If you have a problem, just ask them, We all learn from there knowledge. Jerry

I'd like to know if anyone has any tips or advice for me as a new pilot!
Yes, don't crash it ;) Seriously though, I got mine a few weeks ago and first flights were awesome with silky smooth videos. Managed to have a small crash (while in the house actually) and although damage has been minimal and I fixed/replaced a couple of parts - the video has never been as smooth as when I got it again. So practice and fly carefully. Enjoy, you will love it.

Yes, don't crash it ;) Seriously though, I got mine a few weeks ago and first flights were awesome with silky smooth videos. Managed to have a small crash (while in the house actually) and although damage has been minimal and I fixed/replaced a couple of parts - the video has never been as smooth as when I got it again. So practice and fly carefully. Enjoy, you will love it.

That's the problem, people think that phantoms are safe for indoor flying and are not. If you love indoor flying, please purchase one of these mini drones that are small and safe in case of a crash. I bought one and practice indoors. The good thing about these mini drones is that you are learning manual mode and can be helpful in case your phantom lose gps connection.

That's the problem, people think that phantoms are safe for indoor flying and are not. If you love indoor flying, please purchase one of these mini drones that are small and safe in case of a crash. I bought one and practice indoors. The good thing about these mini drones is that you are learning manual mode and can be helpful in case your phantom lose gps connection.
You are right, but I wasn't planning on flying it at home actually. I did have a small Hubsan X4 to practice with as well as a bigger (Holystone I think) which I flew inside and out before many times, so I definitely agree with you that P3S is not for indoor. It is much more powerful. Not to mention Hubsan is fun and almost indestructible. What happened with P3S - I updated the firmware and it was raining outside, so like an excited kid with a new toy I just wanted to check that it's ok after software update and thought I'll just start it up on hover and turn it off if all looks good. Stupid, I know, shouldn't have done it especially after firmware update... but, live and learn. Anyway, definitely do not fly it at home.

Dont use CSC (sticks down to inside corners) to stop motors after landing. More often than not youll flip the bird and risk damage. Left stick(in mode 2) all the way down to stop them is far better. Or hand catch and then left stick down

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20