My P3P came in today (Funny story)... and brief comparison of new motors.

I don't have access to it any longer. I had a w323b from Amazon for a few days (did not know it was a B), it was a advanced, and was returned unflown. I had intended to return for refund my other unit which came from a different vendor but they made it worth my while to exchange.

I brought a P3A last week and it's W322A, is that an old model?! With some design faults?

NO!!! The A model is the revised edition. They have made a further B revision but the changes in that revision appear to be very minor (different screws appears to be all that is obviously different).

If you read thru the entire thread it will make sense. Enjoy your amazing new Phantom.

Is there also a new RC (model GL300C) on the P3 322B release ?

I've noticed that the battery is really tight in there. Takes some muscle power to get it out, even if it's not clipped all the way. May just be me and my spaghetti noodle arms though.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I had my P3 Pro arrive this week and agree about the tightness of the battery.. I was looking at a tutorial online about upgrading the firmware of the batteries and most of the videos i saw they were able to pull out easily with a light touch... I really have to grip and put a bit of effort in getting my batteries out... maybe it will get easier the more it's used.

The best thing for the battery is to put a little silicon grease on the groves on the side of battery.
Slides in and out much easier and locks smoothly.

Here we go again.

Lads, seriously there is little or no difference in the old motors, the new motors, A model, B model etc.

In my 2.5 years on here, I hear this argument coming up time and time again, twice a year usually. Paranoia over having to have the latest model and so many unjustified scare stories. Usually by guys who have been members for less than a couple of months, although we all have to start somewhere.

Think about this. DJI manufactures hundreds of thousands of these units each year. Like many, many manufacturers, they design and assemble units. But they purchase the individual components from a large number of sources - depending on skills of manufacture and price. Components are made available to the assembly process when they are required and may come from many different suppliers. Subsequently, each model with the same model designation may have components from many different suppliers. Also are they all assembled in one factory, or are there more than one? How many assembly lines per factory? The variables are endless.

That's just how large scale manufacturing works. And always will.

Don't worry about having to have the latest motors - they perform the same as the 'old' ones - they are just manufactured differently to cut down on costs of manufacture. The same way that DJI improves their models - P1, P2, P3 etc, the component manufacturers also improve their processes to make the specified units at cheaper cost price. That's how manufacturing works.

Don't worry about having to have the latest. Just fly the thing - it will work fine. In fact with the PV+ range about 18 months ago, the 'new' motors were often cited as being worse because the wires were thinner, solid and prone to suffering from vibration cracking. So newer might not appear to be better. And the new motors had to be matched with a certain type of ESC which added to the problem.

If it came out of the factory in one box, it's good to go. Just fly the **** thing!

Well I have a pre A, Pre B

Though the original poster of this thread did see a few differences which is interesting.

I quite enjoy comparing info on this forum ... Thanks to all the useful contributions!! Poor 4props .. No one wants to see his marbles lol

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

According to DJI tech support , "the w323b has a new remote which increases range & assists in better flights" whatever that means.. They were quite vague

According to DJI tech support , "the w323b has a new remote which increases range & assists in better flights" whatever that means.. They were quite vague

Well then the hunt starts for a used w323b remote for me, the remote must be the reason for the flyway's and battery shutdowns [insert humorous sarcasm].

A small percentage will not understand what I have just said so it means I am kidding about that, it is in jest, is a possibly poor attempt at humor. It is difficult to convey the nuance that adds meaning to speech in only text and generally only excellent novelist are skilled at this task.

But in all seriousness if I had gotten my p3 more than two weeks ago I would not have cared about which version it was but as a brand new gift to me I was going to if possible get the latest version as they did fix some somewhat serious design defeciencies in the shell and the upgraded motors are a lower kv and seem to perform as well as there predecessor which should translate into increased battery time.

Think of it this way, the p3s is advertised at 25 minutes of runtime and the p3a and p are 23. The only major differences from a lift perspective are the motors which are now the same between the models and slightly less than two ounces of weight. I am sure that the weight contributes some percentage to the longer run time but it is probably not the primary factor as it is less than a 5% difference which in my RC experience does not change much unless you are dealing with underpowered craft.

Well then the hunt starts for a used w323b remote for me, the remote must be the reason for the flyway's and battery shutdowns [insert humorous sarcasm].

A small percentage will not understand what I have just said so it means I am kidding about that, it is in jest, is a possibly poor attempt at humor. It is difficult to convey the nuance that adds meaning to speech in only text and generally only excellent novelist are skilled at this task.

But in all seriousness if I had gotten my p3 more than two weeks ago I would not have cared about which version it was but as a brand new gift to me I was going to if possible get the latest version as they did fix some somewhat serious design defeciencies in the shell and the upgraded motors are a lower kv and seem to perform as well as there predecessor which should translate into increased battery time.

Think of it this way, the p3s is advertised at 25 minutes of runtime and the p3a and p are 23. The only major differences from a lift perspective are the motors which are now the same between the models and slightly less than two ounces of weight. I am sure that the weight contributes some percentage to the longer run time but it is probably not the primary factor as it is less than a 5% difference which in my RC experience does not change much unless you are dealing with underpowered craft.

Lol !!!

Another thing that will decrease battery life is the lightbridge in the p3a & p3p. It will use a bit more power than the older wifi module like the p2v+. It seems what they have done with the p3S and p3 4K wifi is integrate the wifi extender from the p2v+ into the remote.

With that said I would also prefer the newer motors and shell. They may be cheaper to produce or whatever everyone is saying but they are better matched kv wise to the 4s battery, run a little quieter & cooler in my experiences. I prefer the newer look of them as well. And last but not least the old motors are slowly being phased out (no longer used in new units but will maintain stock for now to assist people who have them currently) so more and more people will have the new ESC main board and motors which means if I have the new ones too, these forums and peoples experiences will be more and more relevant to me as well. And firmware updates will cater more and more to the latest revision because that's what is most users are using. Rather than being the few who have the older / outdated / and at some point unsupported version in the future.

This is just my opinion and everyone should do what's best for them.

I decided to exchange my original mod 323 P3A for a 323a P3P. It was an easy decision since I was already going through the trouble of packing it up after a few weeks and sending it back to add 200 bucks to get the P3P, my initial motivation was to get a 323a for the updated shell and motors.

So I opened the box and this is what I found:

36053-3c55d3d44a02cb798fb47e96d1a8126b.jpg

You can imagine my disappointment at the sight of the old motors. I specifically asked that the vendor make sure that it was a 323a and they sorta understood what I meant. Not wanting to open the box at all so as to not make the return again more difficult I called. They asked if I had opened it or looked at the label on the side of the box. Now I am feeling stupid as I look at the label on the side of the box which says 323a. I am still skeptical because I have only heard of new boxes having old model but not the other way around. 323a was there on the inside nice and ready for preparation for flight.

A few hours later after charging the controller and getting the firmware updated from 1.32 to 1.60 I took it for a spin. Flew for about 5 minutes and the battery only dropped to 92% which seemed odd. I was not flying very hard and was only 15 feet up just carefully checking the drone out for any obvious problems.

The new style motors are crazy quiet. Almost so quiet they cannot be heard, especially at startup. In flight the difference is noticeable to me, and I am working very hard to make sure there is not some sort of placebo effect. Early analysis shows they are more efficient which makes sense with the lower kv value.
Interesting, my P3P box says the model is W323! No A or B, and it has the updated motors and the little black camera mounted cooling fan.

What model # is on the back of your transmitter George ??

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj