My P3A has gone into ESC error :(

Reaction score
The dreaded ESC error came up on my P3A today.

I last flew it 4 days ago, just an uneventful flight, but when i brought it home I noticed a full-thickness crack on one of its arm. I could see some scratched mark on the end of that arm which led me to believe the one and only crash I had a few months ago, just a light bump onto a building and fell about 5 feet height onto the concrete ground. That crash may have caused some micro-fracture which I couldn't spot, then gradually developed into this full-thickness crack.

Then 2 days ago I opened up the shell body, applied some modelling adhesive glue on the crack, then added some superglue on top to reinforce it, put the body back together. Today I brought it to a park, switched on the R/C and the bird, everything booted up well, connected and warmed up, then when I tried to arm the bird (with the same CSC move) the ESC error message came up. Tried rebooting it a number of times, no success. Then back home, I opened up the body and checked the interior, couldn't see any obvious broken wires or motherboard, compass cable seem connected correctly. I upgraded the bird's firmware (v1.6 to v1.8), R/C's firmware (v1.5 to v1.6) and DJI Go (v2.4 to v2.8), still no joy.

I just don't understand how this ESC error can happen??? Looks like it's time for me to contact DJI support and probably have to send it away for assessment and repair :(

Your earlier crash may have loaded up the motor enough to damage the ESC and its just decided to die now. I hope not. Needing to replace the whole main board because one esc has failed isnt a fun proposition.

I don't know. Another possibility is when I opened up shell and putting it back this week may have damaged some internal components? Again I don't see how it can happen. Anyway I have emailed DJI support for assistance :(

How long have you owned your phantom?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

The main board has a 1 year warranty. DJI may repair it for free but if there is enough evidence that you opened the drone or any flight logs that may show a crash caused it, they might not cover it with warranty.

The main board has a 1 year warranty. DJI may repair it for free but if there is enough evidence that you opened the drone or any flight logs that may show a crash caused it, they might not cover it with warranty.

Even if they don't cover. Does not matter. Just get the bird fixed.

Well I have told DJI support that I have opened the drone to fix the crack myself, so they know. As long as the repair doesn't cost half the price of a brand new P3A, then I am fine with it. Otherwise it is either buying a brand new bird or quit flying altogether.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie