My P2V drifts A LOT in attitude mode

Reaction score
I don't get it, it stays pretty stationary in GPS mode, if I am in attitude mode it keeps drifting hard to the left, so much that even if it's completely still & no winds I have to actively counter-adjust with the controller to keep it in place.

What could be causing this?

I've calibrated IMU, but it will not allow me to do advanced calibration, says motherboard is too warm or something, no matter what I do.

I've also done the compass routine.

I also checked/calibrated the controller sticks, and I think they stayed spot on central, I will re-check that later.

You guys got any ideas?

I am almost always in GPS mode anyway, but this behaviour is not normal & I'd like to sort it out.

I believe you can do the calibration anyway. I've done it by waiting and restarting but I read somewhere you can still do it when it warns of being too warm. I've since done that as well. You might also consider the props. You could switch them to opposite sides and try it.

Geo

Good idea. I'll try fresh props too.

Sent from my Max M9Pro using Tapatalk

Having had an incident with a tree in Atti mode, I speak from bitter experience. You would be surprised how little wind is required for your Phanton to get blown away. Assuming you have calibrated sucessfully and you still experience this, then you have your answer... ;)

It's SUPPOSED to drift in attitude mode. That's what gps is for, but attitude is meant to drift with the wind and to take more steady shots without the GPS making micro corrections and shaking up your video.

Hmm I'll try inside a big room, see if it stays in place. Maybe the little wind there was really moves it that quickly.

Tried it inside and I think it behaves as it should, depending on lift-off and where it's center of gravity shifted towards, it goes in that direction, didn't see any tendency to drift left only. But I did notice that when I stop the motors, one rotor stopped later than all the others, re-adjusted it and now they stop at the same time (front 2 rotors stop a bit faster than back 2 rotors, don't know if that's of any significance.)

Seems everything is nominal.

Before flying your Phantom and especially if you enable Naza mode it's important that you have first read through the latest version of the full user manual. Its available for download on DJIs website.

Attitude mode is not meant to behave or fly the same way as GPS mode. Your Phantom will only use GPS for return to home function when in atti mode and that's it. Your phantom will not hover in place, if confronted by wind it will drift away. Forward fight and acceleration is also faster and you can loose altitude during aggressive forward thrust.

Bottom line, if you want your Phantom to hold its position in the air and move back should something push it your only choice is to fly in GPS mode.

Thought as much, I see no reason to deviate from GPS mode anyway. Thanks all. :)

Amra said:
Thought as much, I see no reason to deviate from GPS mode anyway. Thanks all. :)

People mainly use atti to smooth out video as there is less jerkyness when the phantom is not trying to correct position for the q app wind.

While I am aware that it is supposed to drift in attitude mode what got my attention was that it always drifted left. This made me rule out wind as a cause and is why I suggesting looking at an Alternate cause.

Amra said:
I've calibrated IMU, but it will not allow me to do advanced calibration, says motherboard is too warm or something, no matter what I do.

Do the advance calibration and click through the "to warm" message. That's bug in the assistant software that's been there since day 1. The advance cal can take up to 10 mins so be patient. After that's done do the stick cal then do your compass dance. Then see how it flys in atti mode. It should drift with the wind.

Ozzyguy said:
While I am aware that it is supposed to drift in attitude mode what got my attention was that it always drifted left. This made me rule out wind as a cause and is why I suggesting looking at an Alternate cause.

The left drift (or right drift for others) is something else entirely. Also read my post where I explain how Atti mode is supposed to behave. It does not hold it's position as GPS mode does.

Anyway if you're Phantom drifts a lot or has a toilet boil spin when in hover usually doing a compass calibration should fix it. But there is a bug or problem with the firmware, GPS or compass that's causing some peoples Phantoms to drift left or right when it should be traveling straight forward. That problem is being investigated by DJI. It's thus far believed to be related to the magnetic declination of where you're flying.

I was of the understanding it was a drift left from a stationary position. I know it's supposed to drift with wind or stick input. But as I understand the problem is a left drift with no control or wind input.

I was of the understanding it was a drift left from a stationary position. I know it's supposed to drift with wind or stick input. But as I understand the problem is a left drift with no control or wind input.
I have had this happen too. At the end of a long flight, and quite near to me, it acted as if someone was holding the stick left. I may have been in homelock. I fought it close enough to see properly & dumped it into a patch of long grass without any damage. Did a compass calibration & it was fine again. That was about a month ago. Flew one battery's worth normally a couple of days ago. landed, changed the battery & it refused to start the motors. Had to bring it home & do a full cal, and it was ok again!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj