My P2 V+ has sharper images than my P2A

Reaction score
I bought the P3A September 2015. Plan was to replace the P2 V+ I just could not get myself to sell the P2 because I am not 100% convinced that the P3 is that much better.

In terms of flight distance the P3 is king and it is great to be able to do that. When done playing and moving closer to do some video or imaging work both the P2 V+ and the P3A are virtually equal. Yes the FOV differ between the 2....used within their ranges actually makes it fun using both in terms of FOV.

Theoretically the P3 should be way better, especially with the dedicated transcoder video DJI provides with the Advance & Professional. Problem is I find again and again is that the P3 images almost all have shake or blurred results. Whereas the P2 images are almost always lovely and sharp. This one see with the video files as well.

I am at the point of selling the P3A but do like to try one last thing. I read that one could set the firmware back to V1.4 on the P3 and then upgrade again and calibrate the IMU & Gimbel....that should make things right, the other is probably to leave the firmware as is and to just calibrate or finally to get the right tool to balance the propellers.

I like to hear if there are any other thoughts on this or things I could do to eliminate the camera shake.

I might almost agree on the stills, but for video if you can't see much difference there must be something wrong with your P3 - the bitrate increase alone makes a huge difference, and practically no fish eye effect - and considerably more manual control of the camera in other ways.
Vision Plus video is pretty grim with excessive compression artefacts that even the most sophisticated tweaking afterwards can't quite fix.

Don't let the bitrate specs on the advance & pro confuse you. After many years of reading forums, today I believe my eyes. I use both today and the differences in FOV in fact makes for great creative options using the P2 and the P3 on the same project. It is when I edit the results from the two that I again and again see the P2 results are better......

In fact the image results can be very pleasing on the P3 (see image), its when you look at the results at 100% or when you have a close up shot that you see the blurred results.

I'd be really interested to hear what other P3 A/P owners experience

Attachments

• DJI_0007.jpg
    DJI_0007.jpg
    369.2 KB · Views: 385
They are different cameras and may need different post processing steps or values. Have you been careful to make a valid comparison?

- Same light, preferably near simultaneous acquisition.
- Shooting RAW, as close to equivalent exposure as possible.
- Roughly the same post processing steps with attention to optimizing sharpening and noise reduction.

There are too many things going on in random images to do much of a comparison.

My P3P had a bad camera. I shot the same images with both my P3P & P2V+ & they were night & day. I contacted the place I purchased my quads from. Once the tech saw the images, They took it back & switched cameras & the second one was sharp. They felt that there was a problem with some of the new cameras.

Thank for the replies. Here a few comments. I have been working years with Adobe products and are very comfortable editing video & stills. In fact i can get stunning results from both the P2 & the P3. What stress me with the P3 is the images seem to be way to often blurred. yesterday I did n job and when downloading the images last night most were blurred......not acceptable. The only setting the results is reasonably ok is when i set video for 1080p 25fps. Anything else including shooting manual results in shake or blurred images.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub