My Overheating iPhone 5s Hack

Reaction score
I have an iPhone 5s and have been running into overheating problems resulting in dropping the video feed from my P3P. This especially happens when flying in the middle of the day, which is unavoidable for me as I shoot a lot of real estate videos. I can't afford an iPad Air 2 at the moment, so this is my temporary solution. It's definitely a hack but for the price of some ice packs, a ziploc bag, and some appropriated rubber bands from the produce section at the grocery store, it works surprisingly well.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1438391353.081808.jpg

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1438394220.453055.jpg

The ice pack goes inside the ziploc bag, which prevents condensation from dripping onto the controller. The pack is then placed in the clamp on the controller. The rubber bands go around the ice pack and hold the phone on either side of the screen.]

Here are the ice paks I use. I found them on Amazon for about $7. Finding thin ones is key, as the clamp will have trouble holding onto thicker / heavier ones.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1438391704.613138.jpg

Anyways, I thought I would share, in case anyone else is running into similar issues.

If you'd like to check out any of my vids there available on my website: http://www.adamwayland.com

Thanks!

Last edited:
First thing that comes to mind is condensation (even if it's inside the bag) which is a very big no no.

phantom3menace
First thing that comes to mind is condensation (even if it's inside the bag) which is a very big no no.

That is what the ziploc bag is for. No condensation outside the bag. And honestly not much if any inside either. At least in my experience. I've used this setup about 10 times with out any trouble.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl