"My Other Hobby is Ham Radio"

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to another "new trick for this old dog." I got into ham radio a few years back and now I'm going to finally "fly" my own aircraft. I'm lovin' retirement, in spite of the "growing old" part. Take a look at my website for the whole story. Thanks to all for being here– and for your patience!

See there? Forgot to give you the link: Home

Reactions: dirkclod and wa5tef
Hello up north, west central Indiana here. I grew up on the east coast of Viriginia and listened to WOWO in the '60's. It would make the bounce that far at night. Hope you enjoy your newest hobby.

Reactions: Hamguy
Howdy from Texas. I am an RC airplane pilot, dji Phantom fc40, and now my new P3S. Just upgraded the firmware about 30 minutes ago... I'm also a HAM as well... W5PDR.

KK5KGK

Although I've never done anything with it. Literally nothing. I have a radio and one of my producers wanted us all to take the class and the test and I figured why not?

It was a great learning experience. Can it bleed over into this hobby somehow? Was just wondering that the other day.

Seems like the two hobbies intersect quite often. Being licensed helps with nuances like FPV transmission frequencies, antenna building/theory and of course all of the electrical knowledge carries over. I know I have applied a lot of my amateur radio knowledge to this hobby.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like the two hobbies intersect quite often. Being licensed helps with nuances like FPV transmission frequencies, antenna building/theory and of course all of the electrical knowledge carries over. I know I have applied a lot of my amateur radio knowledge to this hobby.

73, KL3TX
Sweet! Good to know. Thanks.

Got my General ticket back in 1995. Had a great station at one time in the late '90's/early 2000's, but have been QRT (off the air) for many years now. Living in a small apartment now, makes it difficult to build even a modest station.

N1URQ here.

KK5KGK

Although I've never done anything with it. Literally nothing. I have a radio and one of my producers wanted us all to take the class and the test and I figured why not?

It was a great learning experience. Can it bleed over into this hobby somehow? Was just wondering that the other day.
Okay, this is 'tongue in cheek' but possible. Ham freqs reach much farther that the UAS channels. But a drone kits but use ham freqs for the controls and fly from Albuquerque to Katmandu.

Reactions: Hamguy and Jussaguy
Okay, this is 'tongue in cheek' but possible. Ham freqs reach much farther that the UAS channels. But a drone kits but use ham freqs for the controls and fly from Albuquerque to Katmandu.
LOL! I am working on it. N1. I knew there must be use.

Hello from Houston TX. Myself and my son are hams. N5KIE and N5BRI. My son actually is going to the regional science fair here in Houston with a portable repeater on a UAS system. Won first at school and second at district. Google Kie Martin Motorola and N5BRI.

mw0mwv here! In South Wales uk. We shall have to set up a sked on HF or dstar

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Congrats on getting into flying. I'm also into ham radio. I spent a little over 30 years up in Alaska as KL7RS then retired in 2008 to Arizona where I'm now W7CK. Both are fun hobbies.....

Greetings from Saltillo, Mississippi. I have been a ham since 1963 and have had this call sign, WA5TEF since 1967. I upgraded to Extra Class about 15 years ago when the 20 WPM CW was still required. I operate mostly Icom equipment and have worked 256 countries. I love SKYWARN storm spotting, DX'ing, radio club meetings, and Field Day. Let's set up a sked and talk about drones someday. I monitor 3.862 LSB on HF but have multiband antennas for the other bands pending propagation. My email address is [email protected].

OH, forgot to mention, a friend of mine, N5VGK has taped a piece of stiff wire on his landing gear strut and hung a fishing line with a 2 ounce weight on it, flew over the center of a large tree and using the camera looking down, dropped the weight down the tree trunk to the ground. From that, instant antenna support. To drop the string, he simply rotates it 180 degrees and it pulls off. Pretty neat. I've not tried it yet but I plan on it next antenna day I get.
Jim
WA5TEF

Welcome, N4AFX here. Been a ham since '76.

A producer I work for on CBS Redford just had me sent up a filament HAM antenna using my Phantom up and over a tree with the fillament tied to the landing gear.

It's good to be a hero to the guy that gets you jobs. I was a little nervous doing it after my last crash. I'll tell you a crash will put the fesr of god into ya.

I haven't got my mojo back. I felt like I was a good pilot until then. Sucks.

Reactions: wa5tef
73's W9OWO from W9CJ and a P3P driver!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20