My next quadcopter...

As a learning aid to help with orientation/spacial awareness when flying the PV2, which of these mini quadcopters would be the most suitable ?

I am not looking for speed or the ability to do aerobatics, just to use as a training aid so maybe slow and stable would be best.

I see many people have the Hubsan, are there alternatives or is that the best ?

I can only speak from personal experience - the Hubsan X4 is fun, it has a selectable "advanced" mode which ramps up the sensitivity when/if you are ready and allows flips and all that stuff (standard mode is more docile), it's cheap, spares are easy to come by, it uses removable lipos which means you can charge a bunch up and fly back-to-back (let the brushed can motors cool down a little though). Other micros will provide many of the same functions so it comes down to differentiators and price. I do prefer the external batteries for being able to stretch out your flying/learning sessions so my preference would always be to get one like that, rather than the built-in charge-fly-charge-fly ones. The only other thing I'd say about the original style X4 is the controller is a little larger for adult hands and has an lcd display so you can see where your digital trims are set.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hubsan-Copter-R ... =hubsan+x4 Thanks for the comprehensive reply PU :)
You mention the original style controller - that implies something has changed, can you still get them now ?
fwiw, I tried to check on Google but it brought up this thread !

Edit: I realise there is one with video which I do not need so I have found the one above - if you have a spare moment could you just have a quick look please and see if it is the right controller ?

Thanks
Paul

Still more problems!!
First should you switch the Q4 on and them place it on a level surface before you hold the tx throttle down and switch it on? Or does it not matter if the tx is switched on first?
Until this evening I could calibrate the accelerometer as per the instructions. But now if I do the calibration the lights do not blink on the craft and it is flying even more crazy than before!! The only two things I have done different was to go through the trim settings till I got the loudest bleep (neutral setting) as I read on this on another forum that should be done. And also had the top case off to look at the battery. I carefully replaced the case as it was before. I have refitted the case again but no improvement. Any ideas?

cheers

bill

With anything RC of any size it's always transmitter on first, then aircraft. Reverse for shut down. Tx on, check neutral trims, aircraft on. Wait for gyros to settle. Try and calibrate then. Take-off and fine tune the flight with the trims. It won't ever sit in a rock solid hover, but it shouldn't need a constant pressure on the stick in any one direction to keep it within a foot or so of where you want it - trim those pressures out. But you'll need to keep a fairly constant movement on the sticks in order to counter its natural tendency to wander a little and bring it back to your hover point.

I have sucessfully calibrated the craft quite a few times since I got it. But now when I hold the throttle down and to the side and wiggle the other control from side to side nothing happens. No blinking lights. Yet earlier this evening it was ok and I had thought I was starting to get it to fly a bit better. Currently any flights have the craft verving hard to the right and flipping over. And adjusting the trim which before did make a difference now makes no difference! What could I have accidentally altered to make the calbration cease to function. Or do I have a lemon?

cheers

bill

Hmm, don't know. Try pressing down the right stick first to enter expert mode. If that lets you calibrate don't forget to press it again to go back if you're not used to that mode... If that doesn't work then the last thing to try is remove the batteries from the Tx for a while and see if that resets things, ditto with the aircraft.

Pull_Up said:
Hmm, don't know. Try pressing down the right stick first to enter expert mode. If that lets you calibrate don't forget to press it again to go back if you're not used to that mode... If that doesn't work then the last thing to try is remove the batteries from the Tx for a while and see if that resets things, ditto with the aircraft.

Thanks It has calibrated in the expert mode(100% sensetivity) & also in the 60% mode. But I wonder why it still won't in the low stage mode anymore? Not flying quite as mad but back to how it arrived where it flies towards you!

What does the bleeps mean if you press the throttle stick down? one bleep or a double bleep.

Well that didn't last long!! :roll:
One motor dead and a very short and getting shorter flight times (battey life)! Now no flights at all of course. Had just got some spare props and was feeling I was getting a bit better at flying. Ho Hum!!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl