My new toy

Reaction score
Got myself a phantom 2 the other day and am loving it! I'm a mad keen Bowhunter and fisherman down in this great country that is Australia. My outdoor life takes me to some absolutely breathtaking places and I found that using a camera just wasn't picking up what I wanted to capture, so let the fun begin!

It was better than Christmas opening this up.

Decided to do the first few runs without the gimbal and gopro just to get used to flying her. I bought a nano drone to practice with first and boy those little things are hard to get used to!

The first flight was a pleasant surprise, it was a breeze to fly. I did three take off and landings without too much hassle until my last landing when I tipped it over on uneven ground. No damage, but was not happy.

Have been on three flights since and always check my land pad is even and have even grabbed it to see what it was like.

I put my gimbal on tonight and will fit my gopro tomorrow as I'm hoping to head out to one of my bow hunting properties and see if I can get my first photos and video.

Cool. With the gimbal and gopro on you will notice you have very little clearance beneath it. Leg extensions or landing on very level ground will become more important to prevent damage to the gimbal. Hand catching is also a good option although the opinions on it vary. Have fun!

I have never flown any quadcopter but saw one at 4th of July fireworks show. I studied up on them and now have one on order to arrive late this week. I originally purchased the new P3 Standard when I saw the price of $799.

However, I cancelled that and went for the Advanced with an extra battery. I hope I do not destroy or lose it since I have never flown one.

But, I am terribly excited about this.

Cool. With the gimbal and gopro on you will notice you have very little clearance beneath it. Leg extensions or landing on very level ground will become more important to prevent damage to the gimbal. Hand catching is also a good option although the opinions on it vary. Have fun!
Cheers mate, I have already got plans for a set of legs made from my carbon fibre arrows.

Toadmanor I would highly recommend getting a "toy" drone to start out and get used to their flight, might also get you out of trouble one day.

Hi @BenVW,
Well Come On In, to the forum,! I'm also a bow hunter, here in Alberta. Looking forward to seeing your videos.
Same to you @Toadmanor, greeting and Welcome to the hobby.
Nice to meet you both.
You have much to look forward to. Enjoy your time, well spent here.

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
I just got a nano drone, but if you look up there are a few YouTube clips there are specific ones they recommend to get used to flying similar to a phantom.

Hi @BenVW,
Well Come On In, to the forum,! I'm also a bow hunter, here in Alberta. Looking forward to seeing your videos.
Same to you @Toadmanor, greeting and Welcome to the hobby.
Nice to meet you both.
You gave much to look forward to. Enjoy your time, well spent here.

RedHotPoker
Thanks for the welcome, we are pretty lucky to have year round bow hunting down here, no seasons. Live in some great pig country where I am with some nice big angry boars getting around.

Hey that's awesome, great to see another bowhunter enjoying the hobby... You are lucky, with no hunting seasons.
Just the opposite here, except for small game and rodents. Nice hog you got there by the way. Great eating...

You will enjoy that Phantom, with all the awesome natural beauty down there.

Keep us informed with your posted stuff. ;-)

RedHotPoker

What toy do you recommend?
Syma X5C is a popular one and cheap. Super durable too. Mine has dog bites all over it and it still flies great. Just beware that it gives you zero warning when the battery runs out.

As for the Phantom, I always hand catch mine. No risk of spinning up dirt all over it or scratching the camera up from random debris on the ground. Also no chance of it flipping over.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

So I started making my new legs today out of some thick carbon arrows I had laying about. Not sure what I think of them yet.

Arrows cut to length

The "feet"

And the final product.

Haven't bolted them on yet as I'm going for a hunt and my first flight with gimbal and gopro tomorrow. Will update when I have though.

Glad to hear you are enjoying. Beware of the "ready-to-fly" syndrome. Its when its so easy to fly you decide to take big risks after your first couple flights. I.E. continue flying in open spaces for awhile and experiment with yaw-ing the aircraft in open spaces before moving to more complicated environments or maneuver.

I say this is experience because on my 3-4th flight, I decided to go full FPV out of my backyard. I got so caught up in the experience that I lost my Phantom and had no idea where it was. This was way back when with the P1 8-9 minute battery. I nearly had a heart attack and ended up hearing it by luck.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj