My new Phantom carry case

Reaction score
Hi,
Some may have already seen these but thought I'd share in case people had not.
I couldn't bring myself to spend the silly money on some of the carry cases advertised around the net for the phantom so decided to have a hunt round. Eventually I found this one http://cpc.farnell.com/1/1/47578-water- ... atool.html
Absolutely perfect for the job and a snip at just over £27. It even comes complete with loads of foam including a layer of punch out foam which makes fitting everything dead easy. I've attached an image with all my gear in it.
Cheers, Rich

Attachments

• Case 1.jpg
    Case 1.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 965
VERY NICE! That works wonderfully...I may need to investigate that a bit. This past week I sort of "stumbled" into a Phantom package deal for a price I just could NOT pass up. It came with everything but the kitchen sink...it did, however include the Phantom hard case.

As a result, I have a Phantom with a Zenmuse gimbal and PPV system mounted and nicely cradled in a hard case, with all of the assorted bits and pieces, chargers, batteries, blades, cords, transmitter, etc. neatly contained. Now, I have to find something similar for my OTHER Phantom.

A week ago, that was NOT a problem I was expecting to have...but this is certainly a perfect solution, thanks for posting it!

My guess is you have a stock Ph with stock legs?? If my mm to inches conversion are correct the external height is 215 mm = 8.5 inches (roughly). The INTERNAL height will be two shell layers less than that. Obviously that will (just) fit a stock Ph., but once one puts a Tarot gimbal on and extends the legs a half inch or more for clearance so that on a hard surface the camera can rotate and clear the H3 lens when pointing down....I don't think it will fit, even if the prop nuts are taken off. I think someone else posted this on another thread a week or two back. I had been looking hard at that case as one can get it for $36 + shipping here in USA. Unfortunately, the next size up in that series has a height of 12". A 10" high case would be perfect, that is what all the $200 cases for the Ph are....but finding a generic, inexpensive one 10" is proving elusive. I don't think 12" will fit under an airline seat.

Just a word to the wise, for those that have extended the legs for clearance.

I have gone then a few cases/boxes. First one was simple square tub and I made up a foam surrounding the phantom fit into nicely, then I decided I wanted to be able to keep the props etc on, so now I use a somewhat large rectangular tub, but it allows me to carry alot of spare props/batteries/DVR/tools. I use a small tub for the Tx as it has the 7" LCD attached so its quite awkward to fit anywhere else.

. . . now I have a new problem, my large tub, doesn't fit the phantom with the tri blades on :(

I've also got shapeways legs to install (that I never had installed because the foam fit so well) and my tarot gimbal (now just waiting for the replacements parts that were broken on arrival!) once I get all that done, I'll be looking into buying/making a case for transporting it all. I doubt I'll be able to find a ready made one to fit my needs.

Good value, yes. But the exterior dimension is 9 inches, the interior 8.5 inches. It won't fit if there is much leg extension at all. That extra inch from 9 to 10 is critical.

I pulled the trigger and ordered the 12" depth model.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/D ... -/22-17815

Peter Patricelli said:
Good value, yes. But the exterior dimension is 9 inches, the interior 8.5 inches. It won't fit if there is much leg extension at all. That extra inch from 9 to 10 is critical.

Peter, it is a 9 1/2" exterior height, so should be at least 9" interior. The problem I have with going larger is that sometimes I put it in a backpack and carry it into the back country. Every inch makes it harder for that.
Compromises all around.

Dave,
As long as your bird fits and you are happy with it....all is good. But there are discrepancies in the reported size. As in directly from the ad ..... " Exterior dimension : L 20.5" x W17" x H9". Interior dimension: L19 3/4" x W 14" x H8.5". I ALSO see where it has the exterior dimension listed as 9.5". So, you are right in what you saw and I am right in what I saw. But...that is an important 1/2" discrepancy that can mean the difference between having to somewhat dismantle the bird to get it in and out versus plop and go.

Once you get it, you would do all of us a favor if you actually measured it and determined just HOW MUCH leg extension to the stock Ph legs will still fit inside. The price is great.

Hi,
Internal dimensions as follows. Just measured it. Sizes in MM
Height = 200mm
Length = 508mm
Width = 355mm

Cheers, Rich

200mm = 7.87 inches. My Ph has 5/8" leg extensions and the top of the rotor nuts are exactly 8" off the table. To me that says the case will fit a stock PH and anything less than 1/2" leg extensions on stock legs. I dunno if the newer, "self-tightening" nuts might be shorter than my old style (??), and I suppose there is room to replace those spinner nuts with thinner, less sexy bolts, but I can't get my minimally modified PH into it. In general, much leg extension is going to put the legs on the bottom and nuts on the top in contact with the hard top and bottom of the case. There is some flex, of course, but not sure how far one wants to push that.

My 12" deep cse leaves me lots of room to upgrade to lighter, taller stick legs should I wish...and I do eventually.

Good to have hard, exact info so people can make an informed decision and not get a big surprise.

Peter Patricelli said:
200mm = 7.87 inches. My Ph has 5/8" leg extensions and the top of the rotor nuts are exactly 8" off the table. To me that says the case will fit a stock PH and anything less than 1/2" leg extensions on stock legs. I dunno if the newer, "self-tightening" nuts might be shorter than my old style (??), and I suppose there is room to replace those spinner nuts with thinner, less sexy bolts, but I can't get my minimally modified PH into it. In general, much leg extension is going to put the legs on the bottom and nuts on the top in contact with the hard top and bottom of the case. There is some flex, of course, but not sure how far one wants to push that.

My 12" deep cse leaves me lots of room to upgrade to lighter, taller stick legs should I wish...and I do eventually.

Good to have hard, exact info so people can make an informed decision and not get a big surprise.

Peter,

I have the GoProfessional case that is commonplace, but now considering leg extensions, GP case probably a throw-away for that. What did you end up with, and does it (1) fit in overhead bin on most airlines; (2) allow for substantially taller legs than stock P2?

Thanks,
Kelly

wkf94025 said:
Peter Patricelli said:

Peter,

I have the GoProfessional case that is commonplace, but now considering leg extensions, GP case probably a throw-away for that. What did you end up with, and does it (1) fit in overhead bin on most airlines; (2) allow for substantially taller legs than stock P2?

Thanks,
Kelly

This case is sweet for modified Phantoms with extended legs. nice colors
http://www.acesdeals.biz/apps/webstore/ ... ow/4846026

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20