My new NVIDIA Shield K1

Reaction score
After nearly two weeks of struggling with video stream lag (jitter) I finally decided that the Galaxy Tab A just didn't have enough horsepower, even after running the OS thin. I'm going on almost a week now with the K1 and it's screaming. I still thinned the OS even though other users have reported they did not have to with theirs. For comparison, I loaded my wife's iPad Pro 9.7 and from what I can tell, the K1 performed better. Admittedly, I was taken by the size of the 9.7 screen but it also cost $850 versus $200. Now I'm just awaiting my Manfrotto D1 and I'll be on the move!

IMG_20160511_174839.jpg

Last edited:
I've been using the Tab A with no overhead problem shooting 4k video. What problem did you encounter? Only problem, even with DJI sun shade, is glare. Anyone tried anti glare screens or sun shade like hoodman?

After nearly two weeks of struggling with video stream latency I finally decided that the Galaxy Tab A just didn't have enough horsepower, even after running the OS thin. I'm going on almost a week now with the K1 and it's screaming. I still thinned the OS even though other users have reported they did not have to with theirs. For comparison, I loaded my wife's iPad Pro 9.7 and from what I can tell, the K1 performed better. Admittedly, I was taken by the size of the 9.7 screen but it also cost $850 versus $200. Now I'm just awaiting my Manfrotto D1 and I'll be on the move!

View attachment 53827

Chopstix, I've got a shield on the way. Can you give me some details as to how you thinned the OS?

I've been using the Tab A with no overhead problem shooting 4k video. What problem did you encounter? Only problem, even with DJI sun shade, is glare. Anyone tried anti glare screens or sun shade like hoodman?

My issue with the Tab A was video stream lag (jitter). I'm still in the learning stages with the P4 so I haven't gotten to the sun shade part yet.

Last edited:
Chopstix, I've got a shield on the way. Can you give me some details as to how you thinned the OS?

Since it is a dedicated tablet, I went into the application manager and disabled all the apps that it would let me disable. With the Galaxy, people recommend disabling auto update within Google Play but I did not find that necessary, as also stated by others with the K1.

Last edited:
Since it is a dedicated tablet, I went into the application manager and disabled all the apps that it would let me disable. With the Galaxy, people recommend disabling auto update within Google Store but I did not find that necessary, as also stated by others with the K1.

Thanks! I've been using the iphone and I haven't had experiencing navigating through the menus and terminology for the android devices. That helps alot..

Thanks! I've been using the iphone and I haven't had experiencing navigating through the menus and terminology for the android devices. That helps alot..

There's a post somewhere I think in this site that explains it all.

After nearly two weeks of struggling with video stream lag (jitter) I finally decided that the Galaxy Tab A just didn't have enough horsepower, even after running the OS thin. I'm going on almost a week now with the K1 and it's screaming. I still thinned the OS even though other users have reported they did not have to with theirs. For comparison, I loaded my wife's iPad Pro 9.7 and from what I can tell, the K1 performed better. Admittedly, I was taken by the size of the 9.7 screen but it also cost $850 versus $200. Now I'm just awaiting my Manfrotto D1 and I'll be on the move!

View attachment 53827

Are experiencing any pink or green lines going across? I could not get the lines to stop. It only had the GO app installed. I would get weak signal. So I tested it with a mini 2 and didn't experience any of the lines or weak signal. I ended up returning it after having it for a week.
I tried the debugging , airplane mode and turned off the wifi. I was really disappointed with it, hence why I returned it.

Are experiencing any pink or green lines going across? I could not get the lines to stop. It only had the GO app installed. I would get weak signal. So I tested it with a mini 2 and didn't experience any of the lines or weak signal. I ended up returning it after having it for a week.
I tried the debugging , airplane mode and turned off the wifi. I was really disappointed with it, hence why I returned it.

The Tab A? Yeah, it was bad at times. No issues with the K1.

I was asking about the K1. I didn't have any luck getting rid of the lines. I am wondering if there was something I over looked or didn't do right. It was brand new with no downloaded apps.

If it's a dedicated tablet for the aircraft, go into the application manager and disable everything that it allows you to disable (except DJI GO). Also turn off the Wi-Fi after you get the P4 airborne, although I have left Wifi on without issue.

If it's a dedicated tablet for the aircraft, go into the application manager and disable everything that it allows you to disable (except DJI GO). Also turn off the Wi-Fi after you get the P4 airborne, although I have left Wifi on without issue.

Yes it was dedicated. I did all you mention, I even put it in airplane mode. I tried the debugging and nothing helped.

New to the forum and doing my research before buying a P4. There are many threads on here about the best tablet for a P4 and the Nvidia Shield K1 was recommended. Are the iOS and android versions of the DJI Go app the same? I need to buy everything and want to get the best option.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

New to the forum and doing my research before buying a P4. There are many threads on here about the best tablet for a P4 and the Nvidia Shield K1 was recommended. Are the iOS and android versions of the DJI Go app the same? I need to buy everything and want to get the best option.

iOS allows for 2x digital zoom. I'm hoping they add it to the Android version

Maybe factory reset the K1 and start over.

Just ordered mine, hope it's fine. How do you think it's working in bright sunlight? Are you using anti glare or hood?

Just ordered mine, hope it's fine. How do you think it's working in bright sunlight? Are you using anti glare or hood?
Not good in the sunlight. Can't see a **** thing. U will need a shade and maybe anti glare protector. I could not see it in the sun at all. I'm in Florida so maybe the sun is brighter here, lol. Beside that it looked really good when it worked right and in the shade.

As @JUVIN stated, not very good in bright sunlight. But then again, my wife's iPad Pro is only marginally better. Definitely going to need a sunshade if you're going to use and sunny conditions. It's the next item on my list.

Reactions: Phantom-Four

View attachment 53827

Nice....looks just like mine. :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik