My longest flight so far and it wanted to keep going

Reaction score
Flew 16,000 feet today without loss of signal. A few minor blips but 5 bars were showing for both RC and video. I was using my windsurfer as I flew 6000 ft over open water across a lake then continued above the trees at approx 200ft. I only turned it around due to concern with battery. I have no idea how much further I could've flown however, as soon as I turned it around with it facing back towards the "home point" I noticed a significant drop in signal. That weak signal continued for roughly a 1/2 mile, not sure why the signal would be weaker upon facing in the direct of home. Landed with nealry 40% battery therefore, I likely could've continued further until signal began to fade.

Reactions: JoBe
With that much battery left, you could've went 18000!

Wow. I just made thread similar to this. I got battery warning even though I had 68% left. I was only 12k out. But I had 100% video and 100% rc signal

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I received the same battery warning however, I just canceled it out. Still trying to figure out why signal dropped when I turned it around.

Maybe you moved the remote slightly. I would have adjusted it until I got the signal back. So you are saying to ignore that warning?

The warning is due to the software thinking you won't have enough battery power to make it back. I wouldn't totally ignore it however, it likely will give you an earlier warning than necessary. Like I said, I landed with roughly 40% remaining. I positioned the RC carefully so I'm thinking it wasn't likely the cause of fading signal.

The P3 doesn't take into account a headwind or tailwind. You need to always fly into the wind when your heading out and flying distance. Gauge the battery percentage with 1 battery and your top average speed against and with the wind and then go from there. You'll want to be back over your head landing at really no less than 12-13% battery. Unless you get better and want to flight an auto land at 10%.

Reactions: Tony Cowan
If younhave Smart go home toggled it will try to return home around 13k feet when it calculates how much battery to get home on.

Seems mine had 26% left. Wind direction and speed out and back affect this of course.

Just figure 36 mph outbound for half the minutes in a totally charged battery and you'll have an idea of max range in a perfect, no wind best case situation.

Ok. Thanks guys. I actually got back with 48%. So it was 20% only to get the 12k feet. And 20% back. I screwed around testing for about 10% before I even left. And I did go into the head wind. Came back with tail wind. It was 39 mph. Actually on rth it was 24mph. I just pushed it my self up to 39mph. So I should turn of the smart go home ? Or just gauge it myself is better I would have easily pushed it s other 5k feet. Before coming back. If Better wind conditions I will try again.

distance flight.jpg
The day we did this my buddy flew his completely stock P3P along with mine. This was an ideal day and an ideal location. He made 3.5 miles! I've got the "DroneWorld" antenna mod on mine. I still had good signal at 4.2 miles but was worried about battery life.

My buddy made 3.5 miles and landed with 12% battery
I made 4.2 miles and I had to land on the ridge across from me because I wasn't going to make it, think I had 10% when I set down.

So, moral of the story. A Stock P3P has the range to go as far as the battery will under ideal conditions...

Ok. Thanks guys. I actually got back with 48%. So it was 20% only to get the 12k feet. And 20% back. I screwed around testing for about 10% before I even left. And I did go into the head wind. Came back with tail wind. It was 39 mph. Actually on rth it was 24mph. I just pushed it my self up to 39mph. So I should turn of the smart go home ? Or just gauge it myself is better I would have easily pushed it s other 5k feet. Before coming back. If Better wind conditions I will try again.

I leave Smart Go To Home On. You can cancel it when it pops up. At 10% it's gonna try to land there's no cancelling that but you can fight it to keep it up and guide it down preferably on a slope to get back to you.

Also, you should be speed limited in P-GPS mode to 35mph regardless of tailwind. If you flick it into ATTI mode she'll open up and ride the tailwind back, faster than 35mph. Just be mindful that your in ATTI mode so if you stop she'll drift with the wind. When I stop in ATTI for whatever reason I flick her into P-GPS mode. Either way watch your map view. It's the best tool to use to tell if your drifting off course etc.

Also, always be mindful of your battery. At 20 cycles you need to calibrate it. It would suck for the P3 to show 30% battery remaining but you really only have 15%. This is all based on voltage levels so do some reading on that. To calibrate I charge to 100% then fly her to 10% and land. I take her inside and take her props off and then turn her on and let her drain to 2%. Then on the charger to 100%, calibration done.

And #1 rule never ever take off with a battery that is not 100% charged.

Reactions: Yeager74
Soon you guys will be asking about battery mods, I can feel it.
See --> Dual Battery Mod

Distance is a disease.

That's no joke!
I already know I can out-fly my battery life but I'm pretty sure I can break 6 miles... ;)

This Phantom is great but I really bought to use for photography but now I have the LR-FPV bug! I'm going to leave the Phantom (mostly) unmolested and just build an FPV airplane....

View attachment 46823 The day we did this my buddy flew his completely stock P3P along with mine. This was an ideal day and an ideal location. He made 3.5 miles! I've got the "DroneWorld" antenna mod on mine. I still had good signal at 4.2 miles but was worried about battery life.

My buddy made 3.5 miles and landed with 12% battery
I made 4.2 miles and I had to land on the ridge across from me because I wasn't going to make it, think I had 10% when I set down.

So, moral of the story. A Stock P3P has the range to go as far as the battery will under ideal conditions...
Based on this Info to be safe. I will never fly further than 17k then.

Wind is the biggest factor I think. I have yet to test how it affects your max range (and maybe it doesn't... at least going straight into the wind and straight back, flying crosswind will suck power both out and back) but it sure makes it harder to guestimate how far you'll be able to go.

Of course, to be safe, fly into the wind first... and keep in mind if you're going 10-15 mph on the way out you'll be able to break 55-60+ mph on the way back (In Atti Mode, GPS will limit you to around 35)

I hope you guys all have GPS trackers!
I have the Trackimo but it doesn't seem to work out here in the boonies... I took it with me when I went to town and it worked fine but I can't get it get a signal out here (GPS or Cell)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4