My goggles keep disconnecting

Reaction score
We went out today to try out our new DJI Goggles. The goggles would spontaneously display "Disconnected" randomly requiring a reboot. We went through the activation and upgrading procedure using the DJI Assistant before flying. We connected the goggles to our P4 Pro RC with a USB cable. We got some video and stills, but the disconnecting prevented any prolonged filming.

Does anyone have any suggestions to eliminate this issue?

I have noticed the quality of the USB cable matters, even with tablets/phones. I have no issues with the factory USB cable, but if I use aftermarket USB cables (I wanted a shorter cable), I have connectivity issues. Could that be the issue?

I have noticed the quality of the USB cable matters, even with tablets/phones. I have no issues with the factory USB cable, but if I use aftermarket USB cables (I wanted a shorter cable), I have connectivity issues. Could that be the issue?
We are going to try flying with a HDMI cable with the P4 and then try the Mavic when DJI sends it back after warranty repair.

I have the same problem with my Phantom 4. I've tried everything and nothing seems to work. Up graded firm ware on everything and nothing seems to help . I get about 30 seconds and then they disconnect. I'm using the cable that came with the goggles. About ready to get my money back. Also didn't realize they did away with 5 of the intelligent flight modes in the goggles also until I put them on. I was under the impression you had the same controls as on your tablet.

So I have a P4 and P4P. The DJI goggles work with P4P with more recent firmware. But my P4 with older firmware, noted in my signature, doesn't work. It keeps disconnecting the telemetry data but shows the camera feed. This tell me the drone needs to have a recent version of firmware to work with the goggles via USB. I'm not updating my P4 firmware anytime soon, so that craft is out.

Today I flew my P4P for the first time with the DJI Goggle via USB, since the provided HDMI cable isn't compatible with the DJI HDMI RC connector, go figure. Anyway I was thoroughly disappointed in the image quality using USB, less than 720 resolution, fuzzy with artifacts. Downright crappy. The goggle setting was on HD 1080 at 30FPS, so I'm unclear what I'm doing wrong. Maybe my camera needs to match that since I typically shoot video with1080 @ 60FPS. I'll have to buy an adapter and try out the HDMI feed, after I swap my HDMI module from my P3P RC.

Couple of things, ALWAYS take your tablet or phone device with you when using the goggles with P4 craft. I have learned you cannot do two things with the goggles:
1. Set the RTH height
2. Calibrate the compass

The goggles worked good with my Mavic yesterday, wirelessly. You can see my review here if interested.

It's interesting that these DJI goggles are not very portable, as large or larger than a P4 craft. It appears tough to find a case that fits them reasonable well without being too big, due to the odd shape and size. Yet, they target these goggles to be used primarily with a Mavic, and the primary advantage of that craft is being portable. Hmmm. They don't work well with the P4P IMO, which is the less portable craft, the craft that should have been target to have optimal performance, give the higher end price point. I hope they work better with P4P using the HDMI interface, but then you lose all of the advantages of the goggle, abet being mediocre advantages. Maybe P5 will have Ocu-Sync this fall.

I agree, I thought it was crappy that you cannot calibrate the compass with the DJI goggles. My drone was not able to get a good signal with the DJI googles also. The image was fuzzy and there was a lot of lag in it when it start to get farther away from me. Im now starting to look into boosting my antenna signal, to see if that will fix my issue.

Just got mine this weekend. Yes, I found the image very compressed (blocky) via USB. I have ordered an adapter so I can try it via HDMI. One thing I haven't tried is to increase the video data rate to improve. I'll do some experiments to see what can be done to reduce the compression, as I'm not sure if it's the radio or the USB cable that's causing the high compression. The goggles connected to the HDMI on my computer look great playing games. I do find them a bit heavy after awhile.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic