My future setup - waiting opinions

Reaction score
I intend to order the new Phantom 2 with gimbal. At this starting kit will add a GoPro Hero 3+ or 4, if will release soon (I hear that will be maybe on next summer).

Will replace Rc and Tx with a Futuba 14SG + DragonLink*. For FPV ... FatShark glasses but I will replace the TX with an 1.000 mW one. Can add an autotraker antenna, don't know ... but for sure I will replace FPV standard antenna with SpiroNet.

This setup will offer me a range around 3-4 km. And must important ... secure flights over the clouds.

Suggestions to improve this setup?

* "The Dragon Link is a transmitter module that will hook up to your current RC transmitter and will result in flights that not only go further, but allow you to fly lower, and in high interference areas – like cities – without fear of glitches and loss of RC control." http://dragonlinkrc.com/v2/

ginsonic said:
... At this starting kit will add a GoPro Hero 3+ or 4, if will release soon (I hear that will be maybe on next summer).

Keep in mind, and excuse me if I am pointing out the obvious, but if the gopro hero 4 has a different form factor, or it's size and weight change, then there will be tuning needed on the gimbal settings to level out that zenmuse.
Most of these gimbals that are dual duty for both hero 2 and 3 are either listing to one side or the other depending on the hero version you run- I had to tweak my gimbal (not a zenmuse) to set it up at a proper level and pitch as it had lost something in the shipping from China.

Hero 3+ have same size as Hero 3. I thinking that Hero 4 will have same size. Will have maybe A9 processor, a better battery etc but I am sure that will don't have different dimensions. Will see :)

As a beginner in all this RC stuff...I read a lot re. the liability / legal aspects of this game. Recently an article mentioned the 100% chance that, sooner or later, a UAV flying above 400ft will end up on the windshield of a private plane.
When the dust settles....I hate to think of the check the UAV pilot will have to write...not to mention meeting the widows & orphans of plane passengers! Go easy on that "above the clouds" stuff.

brogan007 said:
As a beginner in all this RC stuff...I read a lot re. the liability / legal aspects of this game. Recently an article mentioned the 100% chance that, sooner or later, a UAV flying above 400ft will end up on the windshield of a private plane.
When the dust settles....I hate to think of the check the UAV pilot will have to write...not to mention meeting the widows & orphans of plane passengers! Go easy on that "above the clouds" stuff.

It's just a matter of time. I can feel it in my bones. I've dodged a lot of things in my 47 years of flying. 37MM and quad 50's in Vietnam, a hang glider at dusk on the ILS approach path in Roanoke Va, a fleet of plastic bags taken aloft by candles but never worried about RC aircraft until NOW. Guys better wake up or you gonna get in a heap 'O trouble.

I have a holiday house in an area with very low aerian trafic and I doub that a plane will fly in my area at 600 - 1.000m. The random flights I could see was just supersonics that flew at over 10 km altitude.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj