My FPV system update, TX upgrade 600mw

Reaction score
Hey everyone, Just popping in to tell my story on my DJI Phantom 2 w/zenmuse/ gopro

Had lots of fun so far, learned alot. Now regarding the Vision system and TX and RX (transmit and receive)

First,: I have a Gaui GV-100 vision system. And I would like to report that it works fine, so far. Here is the lowdown;
-The stock little stick antennas totally suck, no range
-I upgraded to DJI mushroom antenna set , the 55 dollar set.
-Now it works 4 times better 1/8 of a mile range.
-I also have a cheap flat panel antenna for the RX, that makes the range about a 1/4 mile
-My Guai TX is 5.8GHz - 500mw power.

So I wanted to get more range, so I decided to upgrade to the Immersion RC 600mw TX.
-Well, it has no better range, in fact it seems like it is shorter range.
-A total waste of time.
- I am not impressed with the 5.8GHz/600mw Immersion RC TX, at all, well it is smaller and lighter, but that is the only plus.

So, can anyone help me find a better TX in the 5.8 range the won't be too huge, I don't want the massive Boscam 2200mw system. It looks to heavy and probably uses a lot of juice.
anyone know of something in the range of 1000mw?

Thanks friends.

Hi, i have the same problem in expanding the tx range, i have a 400mw tx, you said that with a planar antenna you doubled your range, i have a blackpearl monitor receiver, can you tell me which kind of planar antenna you use so i can try to use it on my monitor?
thank you

There is nothing wrong with the ImmersionRC 600tx.

The secret is in the RECEIVER and ANTENNAS.
I use the 600 with an ImmersionRC Duo receiver and have flown 6km.

Thanks Trickpony, what kind of antennas are you using exactly?

Also what is the immersion duo? I only have the TX

Is the Duo a paired system with a tuned TX and RX pair?

Thanks

2trickpony said:
There is nothing wrong with the ImmersionRC 600tx.

The secret is in the RECEIVER and ANTENNAS.
I use the 600 with an ImmersionRC Duo receiver and have flown 6km.

I haven't gone that far, but I agree the ImmersionRC 600mW is a good transmitter.
last night I went 3.3km straight offshore with Fatshark Attitude SD's with $20 patch antenna On goggles, and SpiroNet with 2" extension on P2.
RTH kicked in before FPV cut out. Very happy with ImmersionRC.

Kelly

I also have had great success with my ImmersionRC 600 mw tx. I've gone out to around 4km before I chickened out. I'm using a black pearl on the RX side.

Well have Only used one channel, #1.
The weather has been bad and I have not flown for a week.
Some other Quad friends told me to try putting the antenna in a different place.
I have it (A DJI Mushroom (Cloverleaf)) with a 90% elbow, and I have it pointing downwards at the stern (rear) of the craft. Back where the battery is.

I had it on right stern, now I am putting it at left stern pointing down.

So maybe changing sides will make it better.

I have been using a Gaui GV-100 for RX , which is a well made product. It is 500mw TX 5.8GHz.
So I am using the Gaui Reciever and monitor. It works but no extra range.
Maybe when I get my FatShark goggles it will work better?

Maybe Immersion 600mw tx works better with Immersion receiver, like they are tuned to each other.

I'll let you all know when I try different antenna locations and more of the 7 channels on the Immersion TX.
And when I get the FatShark's.

Ok folks, I just want to report my findings on my test I conducted, comparing the basic DJI mushroom antenna's with the 5.8 ghz Blue Beam Ultra's made by iBcrazy, now going by the name 'Video Aerial Systems' VAS.
Well the Blue beams as a pair blew the competition out of the water, 10x's the range of the standard DJI Mushrooms.
And it is 100% true the video transmission is much clearer, sharp.
Then I tested the TrueRC Crosshair as the RX antenna on the Fatshark, and the bluebeam airscrew 3 lobe on the Phantom as the TX, and it got longer range, quite a bit.
But the Blue Beams as a pair seemed to have sharper image.
So that is the report so far.

I am actually getting the best performance with the BlueBeam Ultra 3 lobe as the TX on the craft and the Crosshair on my RX for the Fatshark.
I was able to fly behind trees and still get an image. It is kind of funny this combination seems to work the best when I get some distance from my base,( like over 1/4 to 1/2 mile) I am thinking this is a combo I would suggest to anyone starting out in this hobby now.

Here are some links to the antennas, this is the airscrew by Ibcrazy for vTX:
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index. ... ts_id=1254

And here is the TrueRC Crosshair for vRX:
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index. ... ts_id=1852

other places carry them too, the Airscrew is backordered but other places online have it in stock I think. 5/8/14

I Have Fixed the Links Above ^

ironbinder said:
I am actually getting the best performance with the BlueBeam Ultra 3 lobe as the TX on the craft and the Crosshair on my RX for the Fatshark.
I was able to fly behind trees and still get an image. It is kind of funny this combination seems to work the best when I get some distance from my base,( like over 1/4 to 1/2 mile) I am thinking this is a combo I would suggest to anyone starting out in this hobby now.

Here are some links to the antennas, this is the airscrew by Ibcrazy for vTX:
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...oducts_id=1254

And here is the TrueRC Crosshair for vRX:
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...oducts_id=1132

other places carry them too, the Airscrew is backordered but other places online have it in stock I think. 5/8/14

fixed

ironbinder said:
10x's the range of the standard DJI Mushrooms.
And it is 100% true the video transmission is much clearer, sharp.
Then I tested the TrueRC Crosshair as the RX antenna on the Fatshark, and the bluebeam airscrew 3 lobe on the Phantom as the TX, and it got longer range, quite a bit.

Would you mind quantifying range achieved in each case?

Kelly

Just a few thoughts.

In most any Tx/Rx system the receiving antenna makes the biggest difference.
A helical, crosshair, or patch should be one of the antennas on a diversity monitor.

I have used several Immersion 600mw Vtx's. The Vtx actually puts out around 750mw on CH 1.

Just food for thought, I have both the Fatshark goggles and the BP monitor and much prefer the monitor.
It makes the transmission from FPV to visual much easier.

Tom

Agree with all of Tom's comments with one additional asterisk: flying under the goggles usually gives me best video result when flying any type of complex moves, or flying close to potential obstacles (trees, etc.), particularly when those objects are more than 100m away. I think the goggles/screen preference is a very individual choice, and I like having both on hand at all times. I also will set up the other just in case something goes out on the primary FPV method.

Kelly

Re: to Kelly, "Would you mind quantifying range achieved in each case?"

-With stock stick antennas, 150'
-With DJI mushroom antennas, 300'
-With DJI mushroom for vTX and $15 made in China flat panel (from eBay) 1/8th mile
(at this time I was only using a Gaui GV-100 5.8/500mw TX and Monitor with RX system, all made by gaui)
Now with my new FatShark's
-With iBcrazy BlueBeam Ultra's (the 'Airscrew' 3 lobes TX and "MadMushroom" 5 lobe RX) 1/2 mile.(and much sharper visuals)
-With Blue Beam 3 lobe Airscrew on the Phantom as vTX, and TrueRC Crosshair as the vRX on the FatShark's, 1 mile (so ,,far)

I have heard that different environments achieve different results. Like if I am out in a desert area with nothing around I will get way longer range.
Here, even though I am LOS there is still lots of tall Pine and Fir trees, I am not getting such long range.
I plan on going out to the coast where the hills are just barren and grassy.

d4ddyo , "i can't seem to land your links."

I Fixed the links d4ddyo, you can delete your post please, that way the bad links won't be here on this thread. Thanks,

New PR this morning from the valley floor: 3,780 meters distant, at an altitude starting at 100m and gradually climbing toward 200m. Stock P2 receiver, Futuba 14SG radio. Fatshark SD's with patch antenna, ImmersionRC 250mW VTx. Would've gone 4km but RTH kicked in. Good video quality the whole way. Scampered home with battery to spare.

Kelly

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub